Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2022, 01:46 PM

10 posts, read 10,143 times

Advertisements

I’m a 21 year old looking to move to the outskirts of Atlanta. Stone Mountain area to be exact. What are some things that I need to know if I am trying to move to Stone Mountain? Would you say that Stone Mountain is a good area to live in Atlanta?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2022, 02:27 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,942,401 times
Why Stone Mountain in particular?

Old 03-23-2022, 02:54 PM

10,396 posts, read 11,511,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camila2202 View Post
I’m a 21 year old looking to move to the outskirts of Atlanta. Stone Mountain area to be exact. What are some things that I need to know if I am trying to move to Stone Mountain? Would you say that Stone Mountain is a good area to live in Atlanta?
Because the Atlanta metropolitan area has grown so geographically large in physical size, Stone Mountain is effectively a closer-in inner suburb at this point in time.

Stone Mountain can be a good-to-okay place to live for people seeking to live in suburban environment with limited housing budgets.

Because it is an inner-suburban area that has experienced some suburban blight from development patterns that have leapfrogged newer development even farther out from the core of metro Atlanta, there may at times be some crime in the form of robberies, shootings, illegal street racing (particularly often along the GA-10 Memorial Drive corridor where most commercial development is located) and the occasional home invasion.

Though, Stone Mountain is not an overtly crime-ridden or violent area... But there at times may and will be some crime.

Traffic also can move pretty fast along the aforementioned GA-10 Memorial Drive corridor. The posted speed limit on that road is 45 miles-per-hour, but because of the design of the road (it’s basically a surface/at-grade expressway with a continuous divider and 3 through lanes in each direction of the roadway) traffic often moves at speeds of 55-60 mph along GA-10 Memorial Drive between the I-285 Perimeter interchange to the west and the US-78 Stone Mountain Freeway interchange to the east.

Beyond that, Stone Mountain Park (which the surrounding Stone Mountain community is named after, obviously) generally is a popular destination for tourism and outdoor recreation, though there is some continuing controversy and a bit of public backlash over the Confederate imagery and the white supremacist history of the park... That’s particularly with the park being located in an overwhelmingly predominantly black and minority area in east-central DeKalb and southwest Gwinnett counties.

Stone Mountain Village also appears to be an area on the rise over the long term as a historic village area of shops, restaurants, cafes and bars located less than a half-mile beyond the western entrance of what generally is a popular tourist landmark and outdoor recreational destination in Stone Mountain Park.

Last edited by Born 2 Roll; 03-23-2022 at 03:58 PM..

Old 03-23-2022, 03:52 PM

3,197 posts, read 5,378,401 times
Also, consider Tucker, Snellville and Grayson.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta