Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2022, 03:48 PM

667 posts, read 520,891 times

Advertisements

What suburbs should I be looking in? House budget is $500-700k. Prefer very safe and not very diverse. Obviously I know that will be further away from the city but that's ok. I was looking in the Woodstock, Canton, Alpharetta area.. Thinking about Peachtree City. But I haven't been able to spend considerable time in either to really get the vibe.

I would probably be working from home so commute isn't a huge deal but it's nice to know I can get into downtown in an hour.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2022, 04:16 PM

1,150 posts, read 618,535 times
How old are your kids and do you plan to send them to public, or private school?

Old 04-27-2022, 04:17 PM

667 posts, read 520,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta-Native View Post
How old are your kids and do you plan to send them to public, or private school?
Under 5.. Strongly prefer public schools.

Old 04-27-2022, 04:28 PM

3,197 posts, read 5,384,023 times
Cumming, Sugar Hill, Dacula, Braselton, Hoschton. If you really want far out Dawsonville.

Old 04-27-2022, 04:35 PM

9,829 posts, read 7,285,538 times
Unless you want a town home, you probably wouldn't be able to afford too much of a place on that budget in Alpharetta, but I bet you could find a nice house in Woodstock or Canton.

Woodstock is a nice town and is still in reasonable enough distance of everything in the metro. And I believe you can still get a nice 3bedr house in that budget range.

Old 04-27-2022, 05:59 PM

563 posts, read 343,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfmx1 View Post
What suburbs should I be looking in? House budget is $500-700k. Prefer very safe and not very diverse. Obviously I know that will be further away from the city but that's ok. I was looking in the Woodstock, Canton, Alpharetta area.. Thinking about Peachtree City. But I haven't been able to spend considerable time in either to really get the vibe.

I would probably be working from home so commute isn't a huge deal but it's nice to know I can get into downtown in an hour.
What do you consider not diverse? Fortunately most of the places you list have become more diverse over the last 10-20 years. My home, PTC has seen black, Asian and Latino populations double, triple or more. In the process we have also seen our serious crimes rates go down. Perhaps you should seek a home much further north because the places you listed have all become more diverse. Most much more diverse. If you do happen to find a place in PTC, me and my diverse group of PTC friends will warmly welcome you into The Bubble.

Old 04-27-2022, 06:20 PM

3,715 posts, read 3,719,946 times
East Cobb
Woodstock
Canton
Roswell (west of 400)
Kennesaw
Cartersville
Dawsonville
Hickory Flat

Alpharetta will most likely be out of your price range.

Personally I would go with East Cobb, Woodstock, Roswell as a starting point based on what you mentioned

Old 04-27-2022, 08:31 PM

17 posts, read 14,095 times
I would consider Alpharetta definitely and Roswell most likely to be out of your price range. Those two areas are highly affluent with higher home prices, comparable to even some intown areas.

One name I would throw into the hat that hasn't been mentioned: Suwanee

I have always thought this would be a great area if I was older/had kids. Very nice parks and schools, safe area, plus the well-built and growing Town Center. All while still being relatively affordable (for now).

Also, you will need to accept some level of diversity unless you want to live in a rural area. Just an FYI

Old 04-28-2022, 06:09 AM

10,400 posts, read 11,546,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfmx1 View Post

Lol. Metro Atlanta is an overwhelmingly ‘majority-minority’ metropolitan area where racial and ethnic minorities make up a very fast-growing majority of the population of the more than 6.1 million residents of the 29-county Atlanta MSA (Metropolitan Statistical Area).

Non-Hispanic/Latino White residents make up only about 44% of the population of the 29-county Atlanta MSA after the 2020 Census.

So finding an area that either currently is “not very diverse” or figures to remain “not very diverse” for the foreseeable future likely may be a significant challenge in an increasingly diverse Atlanta metropolitan area.

Your desire to live in an area that is “not very diverse” pretty much eliminates 11 metro Atlanta area counties (Fulton, DeKalb, Clayton, Cobb, Gwinnett, Forsyth, Fayette, Hall, Douglas, Rockdale, Newton counties) as well as significant swaths of 2 other metro Atlanta area counties (Paulding and Cherokee counties).

Your home purchase budget of $700k and under also seems to eliminate what is currently an extremely hot and in very high demand suburban community in Alpharetta... That is, unless you wouldn’t mind living in a higher-density dwelling (like a townhome or a condominium or apartment) in an area of exploding diversity in Alpharetta and North Fulton and South Forsyth counties.

You seem to be much more likely to find homes within your budget in areas like Woodstock, Canton and in the area of North Paulding County with Acworth and Dallas addresses (in the North Paulding school cluster of the Paulding County Schools system)... But those areas, while predominantly white for now, all feature very fast-growing populations of racial and ethnic minorities.

An earlier poster suggested Dawsonville... Which, Dawsonville sounds like it might could be one of the best options mentioned because Dawson County is an area non-Hispanic whites currently make up more than 90% of the population and 83% of the student population of the Dawson County School District.

Dawsonville is also a good option because it is a growing area with access to many amenities, including:

> Access to a fairly large and growing cluster of retail and commercial services along Georgia State Route 400 near and through the area where the North Georgia Premium Outlets mall is located, and...

> Access to many very highly treasured outdoor recreational areas at Lake Lanier at the southeast end of the Dawsonville area and Dawson County, and access to the high foothills and lower ranges of the Blue Ridge Mountains at the north end of the Dawsonville area and Dawson County. That includes the natural beauty of Amicalola Falls, one of the tallest waterfalls located east of the Rockies, and access to the Appalachian Trail, the famous hiking trail that runs 2,200 miles from Georgia to Maine along the upcountry wilderness backbone of the Eastern Seaboard.

Old 04-28-2022, 07:38 AM

32,036 posts, read 36,857,518 times
How about some place like Lake Claire or Morningside or Inman Park? They are about as non-diverse as you can get and there are still some nice houses in the $500-750K price range.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2...69380497_zpid/

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/5...14477885_zpid/

Last edited by arjay57; 04-28-2022 at 08:38 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta