Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2022, 11:22 AM

713 posts, read 448,100 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
Yeah man, when Amazon, Microsoft, Starbucks, Expedia, Nintendo of America, Costco, T-Mobile US, and Zillow and Redfin are headquartered in Huntsville, and when Huntsville has 4 major league sports franchises, and average highs in the 70's all summer, I'll take a look at it. Until then, it's that town you visit for the kids to go to the space center.

They listed good air quality as one of the things for Huntsville, well we have that here too, probably even better. I'm good on moving to Huntsville just because it's affordable for right now. Again, there's a reason why places cost what they do.
Housing prices have gone up significantly in Huntsville though it's still cheaper than other areas but I it's essentially doubled in the last 3-4 years as well. Houses that were 150K or so in 2018 are selling for 280-290K. It does have a very good economy but it's pretty one dimensional for the most part focused in the defense and aerospace industry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2022, 01:58 PM

450 posts, read 272,388 times
The very act of trying to rank Atlanta in this sort of list is ludicrous. I mean, what the hell are we even defining as 'Atlanta'? Is it the City of Atlanta, or are we going with the 'Atlanta = North Half of Georgia' definition where Cartersville is included? Is Riverdale 'Atlanta'?

And then, to whom does this list actually apply to? It seems like these lists always apply to people in their late 30's, medium-high earners (but can't quite afford good private schools for their multiple kids) with a preference for exurban life...but there are more types of people than that. Atlanta would be an absolutely horrible place to retire. It would be at the bottom of the list of desirable cities for young white/Asian urban professionals, but it would probably be #1 for young black people who want to break into some sector of the entertainment industry. It would rate fairly well among middle-aged parents who want a detached house and decent public schools, but wouldn't do much for equivalent people who don't have kids.

So...what is this article even talking about? It's just all over the place. Des Moines, IA at #14 but Atlanta at #94? Boise at 15? Myrtle Beach at #37? And then they put Atlanta over Honolulu, Hawaii??? What are their criteria??? It's madness. I'm not even pro-Atlanta, think it's a C, and would place it near the bottom of the 'big city' category, but at least the region has a real economy which bumps it ahead of 90% of that list for literally everyone who's not retired.

Old 05-18-2022, 03:49 PM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,510 posts, read 15,119,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiime View Post
Augusta was ranked a good bit higher than Atlanta. That tells me all I need to know about the validity of this list.
I have family who live in Fulton and Newton counties. One family member lived in Dekalb previously. In terms of the normal daily activities there’s not a lot of difference. Twenty waffle houses vs eighty of them. One Top Golf vs three. One Dave & Busters instead of four. Of course Atlanta is a much bigger metro, and offers a lot more. Just speaking on the normal daily routines.

Old 05-18-2022, 04:09 PM

24,409 posts, read 26,996,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganderTexan View Post
Is a such a low ranking concerning with the direction that this city is headed? Cost of living has become insane, traffic is as bad as its ever been and still getting worse, crime in the high visibility areas is out of control. #95 for a city growing at the rate of Atlanta is bad.

https://realestate.usnews.com/places...places-to-live

Huntsville, Alabama is no. 1? lol what a joke.

Old 05-18-2022, 04:25 PM

2,856 posts, read 4,625,059 times
Quote:
Yeah man, when Amazon, Microsoft, Starbucks, Expedia, Nintendo of America, Costco, T-Mobile US, and Zillow and Redfin are headquartered in Huntsville, and when Huntsville has 4 major league sports franchises, and average highs in the 70's all summer, I'll take a look at it. Until then, it's that town you visit for the kids to go to the space center.

They listed good air quality as one of the things for Huntsville, well we have that here too, probably even better. I'm good on moving to Huntsville just because it's affordable for right now. Again, there's a reason why places cost what they do.
Seattle is a great, top 12 city in the country, but your complex is alarming. We know that Huntsville can't compete with Seattle overall.

Old 05-18-2022, 05:01 PM

9,829 posts, read 7,272,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdw1084 View Post
Seattle is a great, top 12 city in the country, but your complex is alarming. We know that Huntsville can't compete with Seattle overall.

But yet somehow Huntsville, AL is the #1 place to live in the US? I mean, that's an objective no.

Old 05-18-2022, 05:08 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,965,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganderTexan View Post
Is a such a low ranking concerning with the direction that this city is headed? Cost of living has become insane, traffic is as bad as its ever been and still getting worse, crime in the high visibility areas is out of control. #95 for a city growing at the rate of Atlanta is bad.

https://realestate.usnews.com/places...places-to-live
I don't know who compiles these rankings or how. NYC placed 120 on the list. More than 50 places behind such metropolis utopias like Toledo and Youngstown Ohio, and Detroit Michigan.

Old 05-18-2022, 05:49 PM

6,568 posts, read 12,067,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I would also move the ATL up. Yes, we have problems with crime, but who in heck doesn't?
San Diego, which is ranked lower than Atlanta.

Old 05-18-2022, 10:56 PM

2,856 posts, read 4,625,059 times
Quote:
But yet somehow Huntsville, AL is the #1 place to live in the US? I mean, that's an objective no.
Based on the methodology used to rank Huntsville, it's #1.

Old 05-19-2022, 12:10 AM

9,829 posts, read 7,272,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdw1084 View Post
Based on the methodology used to rank Huntsville, it's #1.
Yeah, well, my methodology would probably factor in, you know, whether a place is literally the cultural CAPITAL OF THE WORLD. And maybe, rank NYC a little bit over Kalamazoo.

Just saying, that's some seemingly odd methodology.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta