Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2022, 05:22 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,822,778 times

Advertisements

If you existed in Atlanta on 07/13/2022 then you probably know why I would make a thread talking about how to commute on the metro’s west side. There has to, HAS TO, be alternatives to the Perimeter when an entire semi stalls blocking HALF of the 285 NB during peak rush hour.

I saved THIRTY MINUTES by doing weird road jiu jitsu through Cobb today to get to my home on the border of Marietta and East Cobb.

Getting to work on the 285 SB in the mornings is not my issue. The afternoon, on the 285 NB, is usually ok as long as I don’t stay late at work. I stayed late today. As a result I went through pain and suffering that I’d only wish upon who have wronged the greater society as a whole.

There has to be some form of an alternative to the 285 when it gets backed up like that. Going from Union City to Marietta/East Cobb, what are my options? Maps will sometimes recommend as a longer alternative to go up to Camp Creek parkway up past the I-20 until Maxham Road, then when it terminates at Atlanta road use that to find a way over to Roswell road and take that headed east. Is anyone familiar with these two roads? Would it actually be better to take this route over the 285 if I get stuck late at work again?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2022, 02:05 AM

4,790 posts, read 6,878,856 times
Camp Creek is a good way to get over to Douglas and South Cobb.

Peyton Road to Hamilton E. Holmes/James Jackson Parkway (formerly Hightower Rd.) is east of 285 and turns into South Cobb Dr. eventually— you could get off at Cascade and take that the rest of the way north.

Unfortunately traffic is just unpredictable. There are really too many people trying to drive and accidents can cause a cascading traffic jam. I am trying not to get on 285 on a regular basis anymore. It's just not safe anymore. People are not following basic traffic laws and it is far, far scarier of an experience than it was just 10 years ago.

Old 07-14-2022, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
Camp Creek is a good way to get over to Douglas and South Cobb.

Peyton Road to Hamilton E. Holmes/James Jackson Parkway (formerly Hightower Rd.) is east of 285 and turns into South Cobb Dr. eventually— you could get off at Cascade and take that the rest of the way north.

Unfortunately traffic is just unpredictable. There are really too many people trying to drive and accidents can cause a cascading traffic jam. I am trying not to get on 285 on a regular basis anymore. It's just not safe anymore. People are not following basic traffic laws and it is far, far scarier of an experience than it was just 10 years ago.
The worst part I think in yesterday is that it was stop and go traffic already (nothing unusual for a big city at that time of day). There was no car accident. The semi stalled and couldn’t move anymore. He was in the middle right lane. Had to close two lanes and an exit lane to get him out and towed. This was all the way up by the Battery almost (wee bit south of). I was stuck in traffic resulting from it just north of the I-20. What is that, close to 10 miles? Absolutely ridiculous.

Something so basic like moving a stalled semi with no resulting car accident shouldn’t be increasing my drive time by 50%+ (takes me 45-50 min to drive home in the afternoons on a good day) not close” to two hours. After spending 10+ hours on my feet at work I was just beyond words in frustration.

Being new to the area and unsure where to live, but needing something affordable in a time of no housing affordability and safe, I don’t regret living where I do in East Marietta. The community is exactly that. The commute however… this makes me never want to drive again. I don’t know how people can almost get rear ended going 20+ over the posted speed limit because there’s an impatient butthole who wants to go 35+ the posted speed limit and think this is fine, “I want to keep driving heavy machinery with people who think this is the best way to also handle operating heavy machinery only separated from each other by oxygen and paint lines”.

Where I’m from people speed but they also don’t drive so recklessly. They are more likely to use their signals. They are more likely to just brake and slow instead of still whooping around somebody. And I see semis and police even participate in this nonsense (saw a Fulton County sheriff do it the other day). And the worst part is is that if you do follow speed limits and traffic laws, it’s probably actually more dangerous than just going with the flow.

I’m hoping in a few months that I’m able to get into a better position financially that’ll allow me to work towards a better situation. Maybe condo ownership, maybe in the ITP which is where I wanted to be anyway…

Old 07-14-2022, 09:51 AM

4,790 posts, read 6,878,856 times
Yeah, it has really gotten crazy out there. People are shooting at each other on the road these days too. I think that the whole post WWII order is breaking down— but hopeful that if it does, it will lead to a more peaceful and kind existence for everyone rather than devolving into a crazy New World Order/antichrist scenario...

In the meantime, if you're looking for somewhere that's an easier commute, maybe a little quieter too, I'd recommend Fairburn, Tyrone, or Peachtree City OTP, and ITP has College Park and East Point. Instead of 85, you can take US-29 that runs along the railroad track and avoid the interstate entirely.

Old 07-15-2022, 05:15 AM

2,437 posts, read 3,852,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
If you existed in Atlanta on 07/13/2022 then you probably know why I would make a thread talking about how to commute on the metro’s west side. There has to, HAS TO, be alternatives to the Perimeter when an entire semi stalls blocking HALF of the 285 NB during peak rush hour.

I saved THIRTY MINUTES by doing weird road jiu jitsu through Cobb today to get to my home on the border of Marietta and East Cobb.

Getting to work on the 285 SB in the mornings is not my issue. The afternoon, on the 285 NB, is usually ok as long as I don’t stay late at work. I stayed late today. As a result I went through pain and suffering that I’d only wish upon who have wronged the greater society as a whole.

There has to be some form of an alternative to the 285 when it gets backed up like that. Going from Union City to Marietta/East Cobb, what are my options? Maps will sometimes recommend as a longer alternative to go up to Camp Creek parkway up past the I-20 until Maxham Road, then when it terminates at Atlanta road use that to find a way over to Roswell road and take that headed east. Is anyone familiar with these two roads? Would it actually be better to take this route over the 285 if I get stuck late at work again?
Did you ever get a chance to look into homes in the 30310 area or historic College Park? These commutes do sound brutal, but I don’t think there is any way to consistently avoid long, traffic-induced commutes without moving into the city or closer to where you work.

Old 07-15-2022, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
Yeah, it has really gotten crazy out there. People are shooting at each other on the road these days too. I think that the whole post WWII order is breaking down— but hopeful that if it does, it will lead to a more peaceful and kind existence for everyone rather than devolving into a crazy New World Order/antichrist scenario...

In the meantime, if you're looking for somewhere that's an easier commute, maybe a little quieter too, I'd recommend Fairburn, Tyrone, or Peachtree City OTP, and ITP has College Park and East Point. Instead of 85, you can take US-29 that runs along the railroad track and avoid the interstate entirely.
Quote:
Originally Posted by equinox63 View Post
Did you ever get a chance to look into homes in the 30310 area or historic College Park? These commutes do sound brutal, but I don’t think there is any way to consistently avoid long, traffic-induced commutes without moving into the city or closer to where you work.
I appreciate the suggestions, but I am not in any position to move at this time. At least for one more year since I just signed a year's lease and I've only been here for a month. I am not going to break my lease that's going to cost a small fortune, unless I suddenly make exponentially more money.

Marietta is a decent community, and it's nice being in Marietta for cheaper living while having the more expensive suburban amenities of East Cobb next door. I do like the hilly nature of the area. I'd really like to be ITP, that's where I wanted to be originally, got kind of pressured by family friends not to look at College Park or East Point and could not find anything in Midtown/EAV that was in my budget that I was ok with (I refuse to live in a studio).

Also I'm not sure by the time my lease ends if I will still be at this job. I was using this job to get some experience and then move onto something that pays better and has better benefits hours etc. It's one of the reasons I picked Atlanta, lots of opportunities in my field here to move into something else. A lot of it is in SW side but there's also a lot being put in the NE side too, so who knows.

Old 07-15-2022, 12:03 PM

5,363 posts, read 5,141,382 times
I complain at times about being a single 28 year old guy in the ultra parent friendly suburb of Suwanee, but at least I don't have any sort of commute issue like this! I really haven't hit traffic in ATL outside of a couple of times because I don't have a weekday commute beyond bicycle distance . I feel your pain though! If there's one thing I really hate about ATL it's that people are so segregated into their little districts and it's a PITA to cross from one to the other, so if you work in one and people your age are in another, good luck. Side streets or main drags, they all seem to be crap come 5:00. And it's only going to get worse, quick, with how things are densifying. I may be out of here within a couple weeks with a remote job, but we'll see what actually pans out there.

Old 07-15-2022, 02:57 PM

2,530 posts, read 4,775,133 times
I would get off I-285 at 78 or Bolton Road and work your way East to Marietta Blvd/Atlanta Rd.

Old 07-16-2022, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
I complain at times about being a single 28 year old guy in the ultra parent friendly suburb of Suwanee, but at least I don't have any sort of commute issue like this! I really haven't hit traffic in ATL outside of a couple of times because I don't have a weekday commute beyond bicycle distance . I feel your pain though! If there's one thing I really hate about ATL it's that people are so segregated into their little districts and it's a PITA to cross from one to the other, so if you work in one and people your age are in another, good luck. Side streets or main drags, they all seem to be crap come 5:00. And it's only going to get worse, quick, with how things are densifying. I may be out of here within a couple weeks with a remote job, but we'll see what actually pans out there.
We are pretty similar people, I'm a single 27 year old woman. But I work in an industry that cannot in any shape or form be done remotely, so commuting is important. At best, I can get a consulting job but that would still involve travel when I do not need to do computer work at home so even that's not 100%. Right now I am 100% on-site, but to get a hybrid position would be really nice.

There's a possibility that further into my career I move into middle management (manager managing a manager) where I could be 100% remote, but that's not anytime soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorilove View Post
I would get off I-285 at 78 or Bolton Road and work your way East to Marietta Blvd/Atlanta Rd.
Interesting I'll have to keep this in mind. Right now my commute is OTP to OTP (I work and live west of the 285) so anything to help make this a less painful experience would be ideal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta