Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2022, 09:04 AM

39 posts, read 20,471 times

Advertisements

Interesting how some roads in my region receive a total repave,
while roads nearby get nothing except the occasional pot hole patch job.
Especially interesting when road receiving complete repave is full of expensive real estate.

I'd like to think road repaves are always carried out without outside influence, yet living in the real world
with favoritism and corruption ever present, one becomes suspicious.

Take for recent example:

Kings Road in Woodstock/Roswell area.

Kings Road has lots of expensive real estate on and coming off it.
Why was complete repave prioritized for Kings Rd when so roads near/adjoining it remain unpaved and full of as many or more potholes and other road surface damage as Kings Rd was before the repave.
I suspect why, but be glad to have my suspicions refuted.

No one is going to say that a very wealthy, well-connected person with influence living along that street
had the connections to prioritize a road re-pavement, but someone will have excuses why it was paved before other roads close-by with just as much or more road surface damage.

If people don't get believable answers for "why" when they see this stuff, it will just be more of the same old, same old way of doing things.

Last edited by Bergman; 08-03-2022 at 10:06 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2022, 04:40 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,968,218 times
Maybe because it's a direct route to Roswell High School? Of course, your theory may be correct, it often works out that way.

Old 08-04-2022, 12:48 AM

10,396 posts, read 11,514,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Maybe because it's a direct route to Roswell High School? Of course, your theory may be correct, it often works out that way.
This.

There are many roadways that undoubtedly do get resurfaced because those routes are lined with the residences of powerful affluent residents who often will have the highest participation rates in government elections and often will give the highest amounts to political campaigns.

But despite the obvious use of road construction resources as political favors to the most powerful citizens that happens not just here in the U.S. but all over the world, Mattie makes an excellent point that a roadway like King Road is going to be a high priority for resurfacing because it is a direct route to Roswell High School.

Old 08-04-2022, 06:01 AM

3,715 posts, read 3,707,646 times
My neighbor is a county engineer, and although he doesn't work on the roads, he told me they absolutely have a database of ranking the roads. They come out and survey every so often, and from their they apply an algorithm that predicts when the road will be fully deteriorated (so they don't have to come out and check all the time). Obviously the algorithm is wrong often, and you CAN request that they come out to check the condition of the road.

There is also different types of materials used, and some roads have more layers of repaving than others. So some can be milled an resurfaced, while others need a complete redo

Old 08-04-2022, 06:31 AM

When typing my OP, did mention that someone would mention RHS as possible reason Kings Rd complete repave may have been prioritized, but I edited it out because my OP was already to long. Yes RHS school buses and parents dropping off and picking up their teens do travel that route frequently. I pointed out, but edited out that it's interesting that Kings Rd got the deluxe repave, yet Cox Rd with as much or more potholes and rough patches as Kings Rd has had no repave to date. Will be interesting to see when other neighborhood roads get repaved, and if they get the deluxe repave treatment that Kings Rd received.

Next time you're on Kings Rd, take a close look at how cleanly the residents driveways mate with the Kings Rd repave. I seldom see this level of care taken on neighborhood repaves in this region (I've seen it in Beverley Hills and other affluent neighborhood in CA though). Note that Cox Rd is a key connecting road between 1-40 to Kings Rd.

The other item I deleted from OP, was someone might mention Kings Rd is but short drive, not just to RHS, but to Rt 92 and area drivers know what a rattler that roadway can be. Memorize where the most offensive rough road surfaces and potholes are on Rt 92 and put less wear and tear on your tires, alignment and suspension.

Until I hear a valid explanation, will remain suspicious that some road repaves are prioritized because
one or more people living near road to be repaved, have influence/coercion to make things happen that most of us do not.

Old 08-04-2022, 06:42 AM

Citykid,

That algorithm just somehow missed Cox Rd, a key part of the connection: 1-40 > Cox Rd > Kings Rd > RHS/Trader Joes/Publix and Rt 92.

Stretch of 1-40 fairly recently received complete repave, but that is a major roadway crossing counties. That repave was appropriately prioritized given prior condition and volume of traffic that moves along it.

Old 08-04-2022, 09:12 AM

10,396 posts, read 11,514,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergman View Post
Citykid,

That algorithm just somehow missed Cox Rd, a key part of the connection: 1-40 > Cox Rd > Kings Rd > RHS/Trader Joes/Publix and Rt 92.

Stretch of 1-40 fairly recently received complete repave, but that is a major roadway crossing counties. That repave was appropriately prioritized given prior condition and volume of traffic that moves along it.
It probably should be noted that “1-40” is a state-owned route (Georgia State Route 140) whose maintenance and construction (including resurfacing) is paid for and prioritized by Georgia state government, not Roswell city government.

Old 08-05-2022, 05:48 AM

"It probably should be noted that “1-40” is a state-owned route (Georgia State Route 140) whose maintenance and construction (including resurfacing) is paid for and prioritized by Georgia state government, not Roswell city government."

Yes aware of this, yet good distinction you point out though. Couple years back was visiting Switzerland and wow how much better maintained were their roadways. Different population densities, different tax structures, different military budget expenses just some of the reasons why.

Last edited by Bergman; 08-05-2022 at 06:12 AM..

Old 08-05-2022, 08:29 AM

3,662 posts, read 3,942,933 times
Yes, glad someone pointed out the difference between State-maintained roads and city/county maintained.

The state has temporarily suspended the gas tax (federal 18.4 cents still added) to help with the high cost. That will have some effect on current and future maintenance.

If your road in question isn’t a state route then you might get action by appealing to the county or city’s public works dept.

Most of the wealthiest neighborhoods in Atlanta proper have roads with abysmal pavement too. High property taxes doesn’t guarantee more favoritism intown.

If I paid $10-30K property taxes I’d be demanding better pavement on my street. I often wonder why people tolerate it.

On the types of pavement and repairs, I’ve noticed that here in town they don’t mill way down and the topping asphalt is somewhat thin. Ponce got this about 5 years ago and it could use another already.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta