Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2024, 01:48 PM

4,790 posts, read 6,887,637 times

Advertisements

In the short run arjay is right. This is the first project of its kind around here and getting the labor and supplies has to be figured out. But that will make the later sections easier and cheaper. I think MattCW will be right in the long run. Generally the cost savings you get from running a bus is that the road is already there and you don't have to build a road— but in this case, they would have to build a new road, bridges, etc. Once they figure out how to do this the cost should be somewhat similar, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2024, 04:10 PM

32,035 posts, read 36,853,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
How exactly??? You still need the right of way, except now you have to pave it instead of laying rails. You also have to buy the vehicles, build a new maintenance facility, and you lose the direct connection to MARTA and downtown.
Well, you may be right. I just have to wonder if this option has been fully explored.

Old 04-22-2024, 02:55 PM

6,581 posts, read 12,089,120 times
Looks like it's a "no" now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Yep, the EIS is even completed - that's farther than any rail project has come in many years. I think additional rail on the BeltLine will be demanded by the public once Phase I is completed to PCM. It will be a game changer, and incredibly popular. MARTA & the City need to make the existing Streetcar line a Dedicated Right of Way, and convert the streets to a One-Way pair. That would speed up the Streetcar and make the schedules actually mean something.
But that still wasn't far enough. Nothing is a sure thing until breaking ground, and even then something could go wrong to "derail" the project.

I also wouldn't be surprised if the existing Streetcar line gets downgraded to a BRT. It has been in jeopardy of getting shut down before.

Old 04-22-2024, 06:52 PM
bu2

24,116 posts, read 14,937,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
Looks like it's a "no" now.

But that still wasn't far enough. Nothing is a sure thing until breaking ground, and even then something could go wrong to "derail" the project.

I also wouldn't be surprised if the existing Streetcar line gets downgraded to a BRT. It has been in jeopardy of getting shut down before.
It does seem like it really needed Beltline rail for it to make sense.

Old 04-26-2024, 08:25 AM

298 posts, read 272,865 times
News reports I've been seeing are saying the mayor is stepping back from rail on the Belt line. It seems they want to focus on completing segments of the Belt line before the World cup. I was on the Eastside beltline last weekend. I was noticing several bars and restaurants have closed. The rail would be great but the construction seems like it could hurt some of the businesses while it goes on.

Old 04-26-2024, 08:49 AM

3,713 posts, read 5,999,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltop180 View Post
News reports I've been seeing are saying the mayor is stepping back from rail on the Belt line. It seems they want to focus on completing segments of the Belt line before the World cup. I was on the Eastside beltline last weekend. I was noticing several bars and restaurants have closed. The rail would be great but the construction seems like it could hurt some of the businesses while it goes on.
Construction of light rail on the Beltline would be massively disruptive, no doubt about it. Piece by piece closure of the Beltline for a couple years, presumably.

Old 04-26-2024, 09:56 AM

498 posts, read 297,991 times
Quote:
Most large infrastructure projects have impacts. There's no way around it if we want to improve the city. Just wait for what GDOT's proposing along I-285.

Old 04-26-2024, 02:31 PM

7,364 posts, read 6,544,213 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by testa50 View Post
Construction of light rail on the Beltline would be massively disruptive, no doubt about it. Piece by piece closure of the Beltline for a couple years, presumably.
No, the construction really wouldn't be all that disruptive. Most of it will occur on the RoW where there aren't people and aren't businesses. The only places with a disruption would be the crossings and they can easily work on those as to minimize the disruption.

Old 04-30-2024, 08:06 AM

716 posts, read 452,516 times
Dallas seems to be building a similar trail project and may even be further ahead

https://theloopdallas.org/

https://www.dallasnews.com/opinion/e...Kn2vBpMkJL5EEe

Old 04-30-2024, 12:54 PM

3,713 posts, read 5,999,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganderTexan View Post
Dallas seems to be building a similar trail project and may even be further ahead

https://theloopdallas.org/

https://www.dallasnews.com/opinion/e...Kn2vBpMkJL5EEe
They need to work on their picture reel on the website--doesn't exactly sell it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta