Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 09:59 AM

82 posts, read 269,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
It was Nissan - and yes, it was a great commercial.

HERE is a youtube link to it.

I think I liked it so much because I used to work with a blond "Ken doll" type of guy who did the tennis sweater around his neck thing and thought all women wanted him. BARF. LOL

I'm just glad to hear someone remembers it - you're right; it was Nissan. Too funny.

Ya know what? I got the song wrong too - it Van Halen, not Steppenwolf - I guess memory's get hazy...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2008, 10:07 AM

2,240 posts, read 5,860,047 times
I guess that's part of the beauty of TiVo. I don't have to watch commercials anymore, so I've never seen the one the OP is referring to.

Old 06-05-2008, 05:19 PM

1,501 posts, read 5,104,158 times
OMG, I just heard the commerical this morning, and Good Lord, was it annoying, especially that ridiculous background music.

Old 06-06-2008, 06:40 AM

82 posts, read 269,904 times
Default !

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioNative View Post
OMG, I just heard the commerical this morning, and Good Lord, was it annoying, especially that ridiculous background music.

I haven't seen it yet! sounds like I'm lucky...

Old 06-06-2008, 08:37 AM

9,191 posts, read 33,889,276 times
Well, I figured as instant as people are these days, someone would have posted the thing on YouTube by now, but no one has.

However, there are personal videos already of the store.

Here is one by a girl visiting that store, and it does have that, "Omigawd, Omigawd, like, Omigawd" quality to it LOL:
YouTube - American Girl Boutique and Bistro (there are others on the side strip related).

I think this one is hilarious... a "talking with Tami" interview from a girl interviewing the staff from the Alpharetta store. Tami is completely oblivious to the fact she's apparently the only black girl in the store or even within 14 miles of that store though (although she seems to be trying out for Valley queen anyway apparently):
YouTube - TalkingwithTami interviews at American Girl Store

Pass the milk and cookies and let's all sing! http://bestsmileys.com/freak/4.gif (broken link)

Old 06-06-2008, 05:00 PM

2,206 posts, read 6,892,331 times
You don't have kids, do you, AG?

I haven't heard/seen the commercials, but the other AG - American Girl, that is - has been around for years and is very popular with young girls. I guess you missed all the frenzy over the opening of that store at Northpoint.

My daughter is beyond the AG phase now, but one thing I'll say for that company - although the dolls and accessories are insanely overpriced, they publish some really quite good kid-level self-help books. About topics like starting middle school, getting along with friends, body issues, etc. Honestly very well done and kid-appealing. My daughter got a lot out of them.

Old 06-06-2008, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainyRainyDay View Post
You don't have kids, do you, AG?

My daughter is beyond the AG phase now, but one thing I'll say for that company - although the dolls and accessories are insanely overpriced, they publish some really quite good kid-level self-help books. About topics like starting middle school, getting along with friends, body issues, etc. Honestly very well done and kid-appealing. My daughter got a lot out of them.
I'm not denying that some good apparently has come out of the books that come along with the dolls. I've seen spots/interviews about them on TV before. It's just that in some ways it screams "Cabbage Patch Frenzy" too much (if you're old enough you'll remember that).

And what good does it do if they're priced so high that a lot of girls who could get something out of them don't have one because their parent(s) can't afford the doll and the $$$$ accessories that go with it?

Old 06-06-2008, 09:55 PM

2,206 posts, read 6,892,331 times
Yes, we had the Cabbage Patch frenzy even in Canada.

About the books - those are separate from the dolls. You can get the books at regular bookstores, and they have regular softcover pricing - not like the very expensive dolls and accessories.

Old 06-06-2008, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainyRainyDay View Post
Yes, we had the Cabbage Patch frenzy even in Canada.

About the books - those are separate from the dolls. You can get the books at regular bookstores, and they have regular softcover pricing - not like the very expensive dolls and accessories.

Heck then - go to the dollar store and get a doll and then just put one of those books WITH it then. LOL

Old 08-20-2008, 12:03 PM

47 posts, read 182,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
Tami is completely oblivious to the fact she's apparently the only black girl in the store or even within 14 miles of that store though.....
Except of course for the little black girl Tami interviewed, who has 12 dolls....not to mention the employees who were not on camera. I've been in the store, and noticed plenty of black shoppers and diners. My granddaughter has 3 dolls.
Hmmmm... ...As far as being the only black person/girl within 14 miles of the store; was that a facetious comment? There are plenty of black folks living in N. Fulton Co....and in upscale communities. I've lived here for almost 15 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: