Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 11:01 PM

415 posts, read 506,615 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tama View Post
Was I not talking about Atlanta and Houston?
The last sentence you had made threw me off a bit.

Quote:
Denser can mean more pollution, more congestion, and less green as well.
Not really. Dense cities like San Francisco and New York tend to have less pollution than Houston or Atlanta. More congestion, well not really. That can go both ways. Less green? Not really. Parks can be placed through dense areas (like Houston, and Houston is not really dense). The Inner Loop is however. 600,000 people in 95 square miles. But the densest part of Houston is the southwest side.

Quote:
Sprawl has its own negatives but less dense doesn't necessarily mean more sprawl if rather than edge cities there are smaller cohesive town units connected by rail.
Well that isn't true for Atlanta, or Houston is it . MARTA doesn't stretch out very far at all. The closest you get to what you're talking about is Decatur.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2008, 06:02 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,801,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kofi713 View Post
Does the ocean make San Francisco flat? Houston is not all flat. I mean, it is almost all flat, but it gets hilly north of the airport. Nice, rolling terrain in the piney woods.

Atlanta doesn't have a greater international profile. Houston has the third most foreign consulate offices in the US (behind New York and Los Angeles). Over 90 are here. Add to that the energy industry, and Houston is at the top.

The last hurricane to hit Houston as Hurricane Alicia in 1984. Tropical Storm Allison did hit in 2001 though, but it's not like Houston gets hit by hurricanes every year. It is much like California with earthquakes, except you can move out of harms way with a hurricane.

With the exception of Austin? Have you seen San Antonio, Fort Worth, or Southwest Dallas? How about the Palo Duro Canyon in the Texas Panhandle?

Mountain Creek Lake in Dallas (pressed for time, here is just a small picture):

Palo Duro Canyon near Amarillo, Texas:

http://photos.igougo.com/images/p121377-Amarillo-Palo_Duro_Canyon.jpg (broken link)

And El Paso has mountains, too.
As you may know,Texas has an enormous amount of military installations all over.I am in the Air Force and have been station all over Texas.From Wichita Falls above Dallas,to Lubbock ,Abeline ,Amarrilo ,down to San Antonio and Kileen to Waco And as Far South as El Paso.Yes I know Texas very well.When i spoke of flat I was referring to the major cities.West Texas of course has the canyons and more existing terrain,but no big cities Houston is NOT San Francisco which is my part of my point."Rolling terrain and Piney Woods" do not compare to A "dense canopy of trees" in the "foothills of the mountains" in a city that is the second major city with the highest elevation in the U.S. after Denver.Besides we are comparing Atlanta and Houston.Yes it is true that NYC,Houston ,Atlanta have the greatest number of foturne50 headquaters in that order.Although there may be more consulates in Houston,that has nothing to do with name recognition.Atlanta is Coca-Cola,MLK.Jr,CNN,Music,Gone With The Wind,The Olympics.When you think Houston what comes to most peoples mind is not much.Maybe Oil.Yes im am aware of whats in Houston but if they have never been,most people know nothing.Im not saying Atlanta is NYC or San Francisco but its presence is growing internationally faster,other than the obvious well known cities in the U.S.
As far as Hurricanes.its not the ones that hit necessarily.Its the threat of them every season.Its disruptive.Its just my personal preference not to move anywhere that a force of nature on a frequent basis can determine my lively hood.i.e earthquakes,floods,Tornado 's etc...(not directed all at Houston).BTW,you did not mention Hurrican Rita in 2005 after Katrina.You must of forgot the standstill interstates when people were trying to evacuate?
Hurricane Rita - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Owner/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-4.jpg (broken link)http://photos.imageevent.com/kcphotos/atlanta/ATL_2625.jpg (broken link)
Those are neighborhood's and streets underneath those trees.This is in the city not the suburbs.

Old 07-06-2008, 04:28 AM

You can't fool me. I know Atlanta a lot more than you think. A lot more .

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
As you may know,Texas has an enormous amount of military installations all over.I am in the Air Force and have been station all over Texas.From Wichita Falls above Dallas,to Lubbock ,Abeline ,Amarrilo ,down to San Antonio and Kileen to Waco And as Far South as El Paso.Yes I know Texas very well.When i spoke of flat I was referring to the major cities.West Texas of course has the canyons and more existing terrain,but no big cities Houston is NOT San Francisco which is my part of my point."Rolling terrain and Piney Woods" do not compare to A "dense canopy of trees" in the "foothills of the mountains" in a city that is the second major city with the highest elevation in the U.S. after Denver.Besides we are comparing Atlanta and Houston.Yes it is true that NYC,Houston ,Atlanta have the greatest number of foturne50 headquaters in that order.Although there may be more consulates in Houston,that has nothing to do with name recognition.Atlanta is Coca-Cola,MLK.Jr,CNN,Music,Gone With The Wind,The Olympics.When you think Houston what comes to most peoples mind is not much.Maybe Oil.Yes im am aware of whats in Houston but if they have never been,most people know nothing.Im not saying Atlanta is NYC or San Francisco but its presence is growing internationally faster,other than the obvious well known cities in the U.S.
You don't know Texas very well . Naming cities in Texas does not count. I mean really, the fact that you said "as far south as El Paso" really had me wondering.

If you think DFW is flat then...I don't know. There are places in DFW that resemble Atlanta. Southwest Dallas County for one, and Tarrant County is pretty damn hilly. Houston is really the only major Texas city that is generally flat, with no major rolling areas in the city. They instead start in the far northern suburbs (The Woodlands on north).

About Fortune 500, you are using city limits. If you use the metro (the right way really) Atlanta doesn't even crack the top five. I think it is number 8 or something like that. Also, do you really think the general public knows that that is in Atlanta? When some people think of Atlanta, they tihnk of garbage rap music like Soulja Boy and D4L, or Dem Franchise Boyz. A lot of Atlanta "rap" is just straight junk and garbage. No substance. Goodie Mob, TI, OutKast, and Ludacris are Atlanta's only saving grace in the music scene.

And for Houston, I am sure you have heard of Shell Oil Company (though not Fortune since the main HQ for all of Shell's operations are in Europe). As for Fortune, I'm sure you have heard of ConocoPhillips, Continental Airlines (rated best airline for how many years now?), Waste Management, and any kid drinking a carton of milk at school can read Sysco on the back (largest food distributor in North America). The Fortune 1000 is home to Houston's more household name companies though.

As for the Olympics, Atlanta's job during that has hurt the chances of any city of similar size in the US hosting an Olympics. The lead IOC guy said at the end of the Atlanta Olympics "well done Atlanta", instead of the usual "this has been the best Olympics yet". A heavily commercilized, and bribed Olympic games.

And you're right, Atlanta is no NYC or San Fran, nor is it a Houston or Miami when it comes to diversity. Just look at the numbers in each city or metro. Atlanta is still a heavily black and white city. You can't deny it. Houston has been gaining more international immigrants for years and years now. Largest Nigerian population outside of Nigeria itself and London, third largest Vietnamese and Salvadoran population, etc.

Quote:
As far as Hurricanes.its not the ones that hit necessarily.Its the threat of them every season.Its disruptive.Its just my personal preference not to move anywhere that a force of nature on a frequent basis can determine my lively hood.i.e earthquakes,floods,Tornado 's etc...(not directed all at Houston).BTW,you did not mention Hurrican Rita in 2005 after Katrina.You must of forgot the standstill interstates when people were trying to evacuate?
I was in Houston when Rita "hit". I think a few leaves got blown around. The storm shifted to the east and didn't do much to the metro. Nothing more than a strong thunderstorm. Seems to me though, you are forgetting that Atlanta gets it fair share of tornadoes. Most notably, the one that went through Downtown.

Quote:
Those are neighborhood's and streets underneath those trees.This is in the city not the suburbs.
Let's do Houston. In neighborhoods just outside of Downtown:

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i222/issaaa/Houston%20West%20U%206-08/035.jpg (broken link)

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i222/issaaa/Houston%20West%20U%206-08/036.jpg (broken link)

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i222/issaaa/Houston%20West%20U%206-08/038.jpg (broken link)

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i222/issaaa/Houston%20West%20U%206-08/062.jpg (broken link)

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i222/issaaa/Houston%20West%20U%206-08/063.jpg (broken link)

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i222/issaaa/Houston%20West%20U%206-08/065.jpg (broken link)

Oh and by the way, your skyline picture of Atlanta is old, as Terminus isn't even completed yet, and Sovereign and The Mansion look to have just gotten started .

But I'm posting the monster photo below this post. It is VERY big. You should click it and see Houston trees and some of our skylines.

Last edited by Kofi713; 07-06-2008 at 04:45 AM..

Old 07-06-2008, 04:36 AM

The monster photo:

Old 07-06-2008, 10:53 AM

263 posts, read 1,132,731 times
Quote:

You don't know Texas very well . Naming cities in Texas does not count. I mean really, the fact that you said "as far south as El Paso" really had me wondering.

If you think DFW is flat then...I don't know. There are places in DFW that resemble Atlanta. Southwest Dallas County for one, and Tarrant County is pretty damn hilly. Houston is really the only major Texas city that is generally flat, with no major rolling areas in the city. They instead start in the far northern suburbs (The Woodlands on north).

About Fortune 500, you are using city limits. If you use the metro (the right way really) Atlanta doesn't even crack the top five. I think it is number 8 or something like that. Also, do you really think the general public knows that that is in Atlanta? When some people think of Atlanta, they tihnk of garbage rap music like Soulja Boy and D4L, or Dem Franchise Boyz. A lot of Atlanta "rap" is just straight junk and garbage. No substance. Goodie Mob, TI, OutKast, and Ludacris are Atlanta's only saving grace in the music scene.

And for Houston, I am sure you have heard of Shell Oil Company (though not Fortune since the main HQ for all of Shell's operations are in Europe). As for Fortune, I'm sure you have heard of ConocoPhillips, Continental Airlines (rated best airline for how many years now?), Waste Management, and any kid drinking a carton of milk at school can read Sysco on the back (largest food distributor in North America). The Fortune 1000 is home to Houston's more household name companies though.

As for the Olympics, Atlanta's job during that has hurt the chances of any city of similar size in the US hosting an Olympics. The lead IOC guy said at the end of the Atlanta Olympics "well done Atlanta", instead of the usual "this has been the best Olympics yet". A heavily commercilized, and bribed Olympic games.

And you're right, Atlanta is no NYC or San Fran, nor is it a Houston or Miami when it comes to diversity. Just look at the numbers in each city or metro. Atlanta is still a heavily black and white city. You can't deny it. Houston has been gaining more international immigrants for years and years now. Largest Nigerian population outside of Nigeria itself and London, third largest Vietnamese and Salvadoran population, etc.

I was in Houston when Rita "hit". I think a few leaves got blown around. The storm shifted to the east and didn't do much to the metro. Nothing more than a strong thunderstorm. Seems to me though, you are forgetting that Atlanta gets it fair share of tornadoes. Most notably, the one that went through Downtown.

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i222/issaaa/Houston%20West%20U%206-08/035.jpg (broken link)

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i222/issaaa/Houston%20West%20U%206-08/036.jpg (broken link)

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i222/issaaa/Houston%20West%20U%206-08/038.jpg (broken link)

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i222/issaaa/Houston%20West%20U%206-08/062.jpg (broken link)

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i222/issaaa/Houston%20West%20U%206-08/063.jpg (broken link)

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i222/issaaa/Houston%20West%20U%206-08/065.jpg (broken link)

Oh and by the way, your skyline picture of Atlanta is old, as Terminus isn't even completed yet, and Sovereign and The Mansion look to have just gotten started .

But I'm posting the monster photo below this post. It is VERY big. You should click it and see Houston trees and some of our skylines.
How can u talk about Georgia music when you all listen to that slowed down garbage music?

Old 07-06-2008, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip1980 View Post
How can u talk about Georgia music when you all listen to that slowed down garbage music?
You serious? You think that's all of Houston's music? They slow some songs down, but they also have the real normal versions. Have you not heard of
K-
Rino, Dope House Family,
Geto Boys,
Scarface, Trae,
Chamillionaire,
Z-Ro, and oh so much more. Slowed down music is just a part of the culture. Not everything is slowed down. Contrary to Atlanta, mostly every single mainstream rapper to come from there is a one hit wonder, or made some dance record. Houston rappers got big around 2005, and I hated it. Our music started getting gimmicky with Mike Jones and Paul Wall. Before them making it big, they were making some real good stuff. It's not like they need to get big either. They already live like millionaires in Houston.

Listen to this. A good collection of Houston rap.

And the fact that, that is all you can take from my post makes me feel better. I made a point.

Old 07-06-2008, 03:28 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,801,761 times
Quote:

1)The fact is downtown Atlanta is growing faster than any other major city in the U.S.I didn't hear you reply to that.2)The same criteria was used for all cities when talking about the Fortune 500 companies.As i said before,those companies you mentioned just are not as well known over seas.You cannot go to a ConocoPhillips station in Paris.Coke is the most recognized product on the planet.3)I said "mostly" flat and in "comparison" to Atlanta.There are more trees in Atlanta than any other major city in North America.4)As far as music is concerned I mostly agree with you,the hip hop scene is not mine but as of now, Atlanta is the center of hip hop in America.I have had two tenants from France and Itlay."crunk" and hip hop are big there. They cannot tell you geographically or anything or much anything about Houston.Also R&B music:Usher,TLC,Ne-Yo,.Not to mention many pop and country music artist are known to be from here .Atlanta has a significant entertainment history that goes from since the beginnigs of American music.The part of Georgia I am from originally,Macon,produced Little Richard,Otis Redding,The Allman Bros.Other parts of Georgia,gave the world Ray Charles,James Brown,Dallas Austin,Jesse NOrman .Thats getting off focus though.5)those pics you posted are of the same neighborhood im guessing River Oaks.As far as my pics they are about a year old.6)i was naming the cities where i had been stationed at one time or another or just visited.Obviously you don't know Atlanta as well as you think you do. Oh and my final reply to what you said about Rita.A few leaves blowing in the wind?LOL."Half of Houston's residents fled"? HoustonChronicle.com - Special Report: Hurricane Rita (http://www.chron.com/content/chronicle/special/05/rita/index.html - broken link) The Olympics?Lest we forget or may not know that has Houston vied for the Olympics that a couple of times and is never mentioned as a serious candidate because of the fact that there is nothing that is thrilling about Houston.Nothing known to be Uniquely Houston's.Why?The USOC members basically are more impressed with the history and their relative knowledge when selecting a city to be put forth to bid against the international cities. If you gonna try to find negative things make sure you read it properly.Atlanta games were successful financially speaking and they went off without major hitches.There was a lot of commercialism that is true .However there was no bribery scandal associated with Atlanta Olympics;that was Salt Lake City.In fact the bribery you described , was apparently common practice by all competing cities.Atlanta's Olympics were deemed proper in the contest that nothing more was done than all the other competing bid cities.

Old 07-06-2008, 03:53 PM

2,757 posts, read 5,646,071 times
Kofi713 has some good points about our music but Atlanta will always be in a better position when it comes to hip-hop because the Next gen artist are learning what not to do,except Soulja Boy and VIC. I don't think you can really knock our hustle though. Hip-Hop is about a message (pick one) and most guys are just superficial today. FLA is on top right now but I would be lying if I didn't say that the "A" had no type of influence in all Dirty South music.

Old 07-06-2008, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
1)The fact is downtown Atlanta is growing faster than any other major city in the U.S.I didn't hear you reply to that.
No it's not. That is not a fact, just something you made up. Atlanta's Downtown and Midtown vacancy are so high. That is the reason towers like 50 Allen Plaza are having a hard time going up. The condo market is also very saturated. You should read some AJC articles.

Quote:
2)The same criteria was used for all cities when talking about the Fortune 500 companies.As i said before,those companies you mentioned just are not as well known over seas.You cannot go to a ConocoPhillips station in Paris.Coke is the most recognized product on the planet.
And how many people know Coke is from Atlanta overseas? Not many.

Quote:
3)I said "mostly" flat and in "comparison" to Atlanta.There are more trees in Atlanta than any other major city in North America.
Ever been to Charlotte, Seattle, Washington DC/Northern Virginia, hell, even Minneapolis-St. Paul? There was a thread on another forum about US cities with the most green, and you would be surprised at how many cities rival Atlanta.

Quote:
4)As far as music is concerned I mostly agree with you,the hip hop scene is not mine but as of now, Atlanta is the center of hip hop in America.I have had two tenants from France and Itlay."crunk" and hip hop are big there. They cannot tell you geographically or anything or much anything about Houston.Also R&B music:Usher,TLC,Ne-Yo,.Not to mention many pop and country music artist are known to be from here .Atlanta has a significant entertainment history that goes from since the beginnigs of American music.The part of Georgia I am from originally,Macon,produced Little Richard,Otis Redding,The Allman Bros.Other parts of Georgia,gave the world Ray Charles,James Brown,Dallas Austin,Jesse NOrman .Thats getting off focus though.
So you start naming artists from other cities? I can name plenty of groups from Houston, too. By the way, Usher was born in Dallas and raised in Tennessee. Ne-Yo was born in Arkansas, and raised in Los Angeles.

You say country music, but Houston is country music's largest market. Many country artists come here to get big.

And the fact that you say no one in France or Italy can say anything about Houston geographically or "anything much about Houston" REALLY shows how much you know. Especially France. I shouldn't even have to explain that one.

Quote:
5)those pics you posted are of the same neighborhood im guessing River Oaks.As far as my pics they are about a year old.
Yeah, same neighborhood, but not River Oaks. What I showed was a neighborhood near Rice University. Still, you should see the panorama. That will show you some Houston trees, but you obviously didn't want to mention that.

Quote:
6)i was naming the cities where i had been stationed at one time or another or just visited.Obviously you don't know Atlanta as well as you think you do. Oh and my final reply to what you said about Rita.A few leaves blowing in the wind?LOL."Half of Houston's residents fled"? HoustonChronicle.com - Special Report: Hurricane Rita (http://www.chron.com/content/chronicle/special/05/rita/index.html - broken link)
What did I say that had you say that I don't know Atlanta as well? Are you just saying that because I said that about you? Yes. And people evacuated for Rita, but if you dig in your brain and remember, it did not hit the Houston metro. Instead, it hit the Beaumont-Port Arther, Texas area more directly. It continued to turn east as the day went on. What hit Houston was really just a strong thunderstorm, and yes, only a few of my leaves were blown around. Power wasn't even knocked out, except for some areas on the extreme eastern side of the metro area.

But to show you how important Houston is to the United States, you should remember how all of the news stations were going crazy, since we have oil here and are home to a lot more international and national business. If a hurricane (hypothetically speaking) hit Atlanta, kids would lose Cartoon Network for a few days. CNN would just go to New York, where most of their shows are anyway.

Quote:
The Olympics?Lest we forget or may not know that has Houston vied for the Olympics that a couple of times and is never mentioned as a serious candidate because of the fact that there is nothing that is thrilling about Houston.Nothing known to be Uniquely Houston's.Why?The USOC members basically are more impressed with the history and their relative knowledge when selecting a city to be put forth to bid against the international cities. If you gonna try to find negative things make sure you read it properly.Atlanta games were successful financially speaking and they went off without major hitches.There was a lot of commercialism that is true .However there was no bribery scandal associated with Atlanta Olympics;that was Salt Lake City.In fact the bribery you described , was apparently common practice by all competing cities.Atlanta's Olympics were deemed proper in the contest that nothing more was done than all the other competing bid cities.
What's thrilling about Atlanta?

Houston bid once for the 2012 game, and it went all the way the the US Final Four before getting eliminated. For the 2016 games, Houston was hand picked by the USOC, along with Philly, San Fran, Chicago, and Los Angeles, to bid for the 2016 games. It was eliminated, along with Philly and LA in the first round.

Went off without major hitches? Did the bombing completely slip your mind? And yes there was bribary. Look up what Ted Turner and CNN were doing to get the games to Atlanta. There is a reason why (like I said) the International Olympic Committee Chairman said "well done Atlanta", instead of "best Olympics yet" that he had used for every other Olympic games.

By the way, where are you from? Your sentence structure and punctuation needs some working on . I take it you aren't from an English speaking country.

Old 07-07-2008, 01:34 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,089,277 times
Quote:
Ever been to Charlotte, Seattle, Washington DC/Northern Virginia, hell, even Minneapolis-St. Paul? There was a thread on another forum about US cities with the most green, and you would be surprised at how many cities rival Atlanta.
The Twin Cities has a very good park system and many other things going for it (a very good bike trail system, very active arts/theatre communities, etc.), and it certainly does have its share of trees, but I'm afraid Atlanta has a lot more of them. Some areas of Minneapolis was hurt rather badly when the large elms that lined the streets were almost completely wiped out by Dutch elm disease a few decades ago. Sad, really...

Anyway... I moved to Atlanta from the Twin Cities, and I was shocked at the extent of the suburban forest down here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta