Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2007, 03:29 PM

279 posts, read 472,356 times

Advertisements

avoid cobb county, it is republicans.

dekalb and fulton are mostly democrat

Old 01-24-2007, 06:16 PM

426 posts, read 2,322,472 times
Luckily, your wife will be working in a very liberal area around Emory University. A list of neighborhoods in commuting distance to the CDC that have liberals in the majority include Decatur, Virginia Highlands, Poncey-Highlands, Freedom Park, Druid Hills, Lake Claire, East Atlanta, Smokerise(Stone Mountain), Mitown, Ansley Park, and Sherman Hills. Except for East Atlanta*(which is being gentrified) all are located in afflent areas and are zoned to good schools. Not all of Cobb is conservative. South Cobb(Smyrna and Mableton) still vote mostly Democrats but that would be a harsh commute to the CDC. There are more places for an affluent family to live than Dunwoody, Sandy Springs, and Alpharetta(all Republican). The intown communities I've listed offer an amazing convience and a neighborhood feel not found in the suburbs.

Old 01-24-2007, 07:42 PM

1,145 posts, read 4,213,408 times
I agree with what another poster said- concentrate more on good schools, parks, restaurants etc when choosing a place to live. Don't worry about how red or blue your town is. I'm a democrat from Boston that lives in Alpharetta, and I have never noticed anything that makes me think this town is anti-democrat.

Old 01-25-2007, 10:50 AM

80 posts, read 477,557 times
I recently moved to Boston from Atlanta and also previously lived in California for several years. I am very happy with the move away from the South, but you can find blue neigborhoods with Califonia-like mindsets in Atlanta. These neighborhoods are older with character and parks and sidewalks where you can actually walk (not common in many areas there) Some examples include Inman Park, Candler Park, Virginia-Highland, Poncey-Highland, Morningside, Druid Hills, Ansley Park, and Midtown. Grant Park, Ormewood Park and East Atlanta are in the process of gentrification, so prices are a bit lower. Decatur is a city in and of itself (but inside the perimeter, not far from Emory) that is often compared to Berkley in terms of politics. It has a nice downtown with many stores and restaurants.

Old 01-25-2007, 04:39 PM

390 posts, read 907,390 times
pretty much anywhere inside the perimeter (285) will be more "blue." avoid the northern suburbs.....there's so much red there its disgusting. prepare to pay $$$$ for inside the perimeter....but since your from Cali it shouldn't be anything you're not used to.

Old 01-25-2007, 07:46 PM
LLD

654 posts, read 3,072,585 times
Suggestion: let's not make personal guesses and judgments about people's motives when they ask questions about conservative and/or liberal areas.

Old 02-09-2007, 10:18 PM

154 posts, read 605,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
In reality, the original poster shouldn't even consider politics in his living decisions. In reality, choose a place that has the job you want, that has a reasonable cost of living, low crime, good schools, etc. I am saying the democrat enclaves in Atlanta are in areas he probably doesn't want to live in. It sounds like he wants a house in upper middle class Buckhead, maybe Dunwoody, maybe Alpharetta. Hardly democrat oasis. But who cares? I don't generally go to my neighbor and discuss politics and I couldn't care less which way he voted. You are right, ignorance and intolerance have no political affiliation.
LOL! You think that nice areas can't be democratic ? As some posters have already mentioned there are numerous neighborhoods that exude character and charm (in contrast to the faceless, non descript suburbia that characterizes Alpharetta, et al.) and are wealthy and "nice" such as Ansley Park, Inman Park, Va-Hi, Druid Hills, Morningside, etc. These places have more "soul" in a blade of grass than a place like Alpharetta could ever hope to have in its newest chain-stacked strip mall (and that's not because they're "blue", but because it's true.)

On Topic: Coming from California it probably(?) wont be an issue at all for you to purchase in one of the aforementioned areas. And a huge plus is that these areas wouldn't put your wife in for a long commute.

Old 02-09-2007, 10:50 PM

1,755 posts, read 5,682,424 times
Find your job first, then find schools close, then move there. Yes, we're a bunch of republicans here, but it's not like the Scarlet Letter. Vote your way, which you will most often lose (if liberal) on a state basis. No one is going to crucify you. But that's where you're moving to. It's still a CHOICE.

If I moved to Cali I'd expect the complete opposite and have to live with not driving my v8 mustang GT w/o Catalytic Converters down the interstate.

Coming from Cali and the price you'll fetch for your home I'm betting you'll move to a Cobb or Gwinett once you see how things really are down here!

Git-R-Dun!

Last edited by LLD; 02-10-2007 at 07:37 AM.. Reason: removed defensive commentary

Old 03-08-2007, 01:34 PM

5 posts, read 15,684 times
This is easy. ANY neighborhood within a couple of miles of the CDC will give you what you want. Fernbank Elementary is great, the Decatur City Schools near there are also good. There is a wonderful private K-12 school near the CDC called The Paideia School which would fit in well in Vermont or the The Bay Area, but it's pricey, like most private schools. Arbor Montessorri is also nearby and terrific, and the middle and high schools around there are good.
I'm a liberal from San Francisco and very happy around here.

Old 03-08-2007, 01:50 PM

2,138 posts, read 6,321,054 times
Contrary to popular opinion and perception, Southerners are just as diverse as people from any other region of the country. The city of Atlanta, as well as the city of Decatur and DeKalb County, are some of the more progressive areas in the country surprisingly so. A large portion of the city of Atlanta, as well as the city of Decatur, are very bohemian and artsy, with more of an "urban" feel. Often times when friends come to visit from out of town, they are often shocked to see the diverse character of Atlanta's neighborhoods.

The only thing that may shock you is the racial segregation. You won't see any overt racism, but instead you will see different groups keeping to themselves outside of the workplace. But I truly believe that this is changing as more residents move to the metro area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta