Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What city a has both a greater national and international name recognition:Atlanta or Houston.
Atlanta 39 61.90%
Houston 24 38.10%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 01:43 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,192,862 times

Advertisements

What is Houston's claim to fame...other than the 60's space program? I think even Dallas would have more name recognition than Houston due to the 70's TV show.

Atlanta hosted the Olympics and was on the world stage during that time, and growth in business and population has resulted from that leap in status.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2008, 01:46 PM

415 posts, read 506,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
What is Houston's claim to fame...other than the 60's space program? I think even Dallas would have more name recognition than Houston due to the 70's TV show.

Atlanta hosted the Olympics and was on the world stage during that time, and growth in business and population has resulted from that leap in status.

Get educated by reading my posts in the Atlanta vs. Houston thread. Ignorant statements for the win.

Old 07-07-2008, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kofi713 View Post

Get educated by reading my posts in the Atlanta vs. Houston thread. Ignorant statements for the win.
Frankly, I don't care about Houston, so no thanks. What did I say that was incorrect? The question was which city has greater name recognition. Atlanta...hands down.

As for ignorant, since I have never heard of what Houston has to make its name recognition greater than Atlanta's, I prove the point.

Old 07-07-2008, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Frankly, I don't care about Houston, so no thanks. What did I say that was incorrect? The question was which city has greater name recognition. Atlanta...hands down.

As for ignorant, since I have never heard of what Houston has to make its name recognition greater than Atlanta's, I prove the point.
It isn't "hands down", and just because you haven't, doesn't mean others have. Both metro areas are growing fast. Atlanta gets more domestic migration, and Houston gets more international migration. I'd rather the world know Houston, than just domestic. Houston shoots for beyond the domestic market.

Old 07-07-2008, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kofi713 View Post
It isn't "hands down", and just because you haven't, doesn't mean others have. Both metro areas are growing fast. Atlanta gets more domestic migration, and Houston gets more international migration. I'd rather the world know Houston, than just domestic. Houston shoots for beyond the domestic market.
Well, I'll end my contribution (or lack thereof) to this thread by simply repeating the question that was asked:

"What city a has both a greater national and international name recognition: Atlanta or Houston?"

The answer today is most definitely Atlanta by any objective measure. Maybe in the future it will be Houston, but if you look at the Olympics, the numbers of national and international companies that have HQ's or regional offices in the Atlanta metro, and the fact that number of people who have relocated to the Atlanta metro in the last 10 - 15 years is close to or greater than the total population of Houston (based on the US Census Bureau), the stats speak for themselves.

Old 07-07-2008, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Well, I'll end my contribution (or lack thereof) to this thread by simply repeating the question that was asked:

"What city a has both a greater national and international name recognition: Atlanta or Houston?"

The answer today is most definitely Atlanta by any objective measure. Maybe in the future it will be Houston, but if you look at the Olympics, the numbers of national and international companies that have HQ's or regional offices in the Atlanta metro, and the fact that number of people who have relocated to the Atlanta metro in the last 10 - 15 years is close to or greater than the total population of Houston (based on the US Census Bureau), the stats speak for themselves.
Eh....no. Honestly, neither city is above and beyond each other when it comes to name recognition. Houston has more national and international companies (from oil/energy), and has almost more than double the amount of foreign consulates than Atlanta (I actually think it is three times as much). Just recently (last week), Vietnam announced that they want a foreign consulate in office (about time since Houston has 90,000 Vietnamese, third largest in US).

Also, Atlanta has added overall more population than Houston since 2000. From that though, Atlanta has added more domestic migration (people from the US), but Houston has added more international migration.

Atlanta: Atlanta-Sandy Springs-Marietta, GA Metropolitan Statistical Area (CBSA) Population and Components of Change

Houston: Houston-Sugar Land-Baytown, TX Metropolitan Statistical Area (CBSA) Population and Components of Change

Old 07-08-2008, 06:25 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,295,927 times
I would venture to say that Houston is not even the most recognized city in Texas.

Old 07-08-2008, 06:54 AM

210 posts, read 1,139,543 times
Default H-town

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
I would venture to say that Houston is not even the most recognized city in Texas.
Houston is by far the most populated city in Texas and most influential. I would also mention Dallas as a major Texan city and San Antionio but I think Houston is the most recognized.

Old 07-08-2008, 06:59 AM

2,531 posts, read 6,251,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miami305Kid View Post
Houston is by far the most populated city in Texas and most influential. I would also mention Dallas as a major Texan city and San Antionio but I think Houston is the most recognized.

I think Dallas would be the most recognizable with Houston not too far behind. It always seems that Dallas has overshadowed Houston until quite recently. The TV Show, The Cowboys football team, etc. For many years, Dallas was the largest city in Texas. It was Air Conditioning that helped H-town surpass D-Town in the population game.

I see you're from Florida. What is the more well-known city in Florida? I'd say it's a tossup between Miami and Orlando, and both are well known for various reasons.

Old 07-08-2008, 07:00 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,295,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miami305Kid View Post
Houston is by far the ... most influential. .

What facts do you have to back this up?

In what way is Houston more influential than Austin? To name two examples, the amount of influence Austin City Limits has had on TV, and SXSW has had on Music (and in recent years, film) is massive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta