Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The Future of the ATL
Atlanta will become the southern version of NYC 13 20.31%
Atlanta will become more crime filled and more ghetto 14 21.88%
People will ignore the city proper and contine to move to the burbs 8 12.50%
Atlanta will be gentrified and bad neighborhoods will become expensive but safe 23 35.94%
Atlanta has a bright future in store for it and will become a bigger/better city 28 43.75%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 12:33 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,889,276 times

Advertisements

If people continue to call it "the ATL" I'll vote for "more crime filled and ghetto".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2008, 12:45 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,801,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kofi713 View Post
Voted for the last two. People definitely are not ignoring the city proper (to whoever voted for that). The City of Atlanta is larger than it ever has been since 1950. It is above 500,000 now with gentrification and things.
Wait a minute!!! When we were discussing this on the other thread you said i was making things up about Atlanta's downtown growth.Did you ever check the census report i told you about?Can you say flip-flop?

Old 07-07-2008, 12:47 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,801,761 times
It does not take much except a drive around every part of the city and you will signs of growth and progress.Especially in the downtown area.The area Around Centennial Park is getting to be as pricey as Buckhead or Midtown.

Old 07-07-2008, 01:00 PM

415 posts, read 506,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Wait a minute!!! When we were discussing this on the other thread you said i was making things up about Atlanta's downtown growth.Did you ever check the census report i told you about?Can you say flip-flop?
It is not just Downtown . There are other areas of Atlanta that are growing. Downtown is just apart of it. I didn't say you were making things up about it growing. I said you were making things up when you said "it is the fastest growing Downtown in the nation". You did make that up. No facts at all to prove this and I'm not flip-flopping. Anyway, a lot of the growth has been occuring in Midtown (Atlantic Station, 12th and Midtown, etc.), Buckhead (bunch of condos), the Lindbergh area, and a lot of the single family neighborhoods (Peachtree Hills, etc.).

Old 07-07-2008, 01:07 PM

2,757 posts, read 5,646,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
If people continue to call it "the ATL" I'll vote for "more crime filled and ghetto".
I voted that Atlanta will continue to become a better city in the future. Greg, there's nothing wrong or negative about any of Atlanta's nicknames. I would agree with you if we called it "Glocklanta" or something but educated people like Joe Buck has used "the ATL" when calling games, he's not ghetto, it's just mainstream like Chi-Town or LALA Land.

Old 07-07-2008, 01:22 PM

What's wrong with "the ATL? Isn't ATL, Atlanta's initials? Yes.

Old 07-07-2008, 01:23 PM

23,466 posts, read 44,100,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kofi713 View Post
What's wrong with "the ATL? Isn't ATL, Atlanta's initials? Yes.
Atlanta's initial is A.

Old 07-07-2008, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Atlanta's initial is A.
Atlanta's initials are ATL, not A. Just like New York's initials are NY, Chicago's are CHI, Houston's are HOU, etc.

Old 07-07-2008, 01:58 PM

6,563 posts, read 12,054,379 times
I would say the bottom two are the most likely. First of all, the intown neighborhoods are becoming gentrified and cleaning up, as the high gas prices are driving up demands for housing in the city, along with prices. Meanwhile, areas like Cobb, Gwinett, and parts of Dekalb County are decaying and becoming the new ghetto areas. There's a big construction boom going on as we speak, especially in Midtown, Buckhead, and Atlantic Station. Next thing you may notice Brookwood Hills having its own skyline between Buckhead and Midtown. This could help Atlanta appear to be like the NYC or even Tokyo of the South. Other developments such as the Beltline and Midtown Mile can help boost the city's economy for a brighter future.

Old 07-07-2008, 02:32 PM

1,582 posts, read 2,185,868 times
^^ I agree. The Beltline and attracting destination retail to Midtown will be huge drivers of continued gentrification throughout the city.

Additionally, the city just got approval from the feds to demolish the last four large housing projects and replace thing with better integrated development.

I think what afonega1 may have been referring to is a statistic I've read somewhere which is that the city of Atlanta was percentag-wise the fastest growing large city in the country in the last few years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta