Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The Future of the ATL
Atlanta will become the southern version of NYC 13 20.31%
Atlanta will become more crime filled and more ghetto 14 21.88%
People will ignore the city proper and contine to move to the burbs 8 12.50%
Atlanta will be gentrified and bad neighborhoods will become expensive but safe 23 35.94%
Atlanta has a bright future in store for it and will become a bigger/better city 28 43.75%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 06:30 PM

415 posts, read 506,174 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
I gave you a link of the FACT right after I made the Statement.You chose to ignore it.IN sheer numbers from the years 2000-2006 ,Atlanta gr.ew at 15.8 percent.Above any other city.Here is the the link once more
:In Pictures: America's Fastest-Growing Large And Small Metros - Forbes.com
Sheer numbers? You posted percents. Make up your mind.

But what you are linking is not a Downtown area. You said Atlanta had the "fastest growing Downtown". There is no fact to prove this. Also, Atlanta is showed at #3 on that list. You're really confusing me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
www.Dictionary.com

in case you need to look up the definition of 'initial'.
You're late.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2008, 06:32 PM

23,450 posts, read 44,061,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kofi713 View Post
Atlanta's initials are ATL, not A. Just like New York's initials are NY, Chicago's are CHI, Houston's are HOU, etc.
www.Dictionary.com

in case you need to look up the definition of 'initial'.

Old 07-07-2008, 07:12 PM

91 posts, read 344,190 times
Moderator cut: No name calling- no personal attack allowed on CD ! ATL is an airport code that simply gained popular usage as a nickname. Its origins are from the airport code though.

Cobb is definately not going to decline. Areas like Smyrna and Downtown Marietta and Mableton have already declined. They are on the upward swing at this point. MAYBE the outer suburbs will begin to decline, like Paulding, Bartow, Spalding, and Henry. But if anything the four metro counties of Gwinnett, Cobb, Dekalb and Fulton will rebound from here simply due to location.

I predict that due to rising gas prices Metro Atlanta's growth will begin to spill over in huge amounts into city proper. I also think the 2010 census is going to reveal many drastic changes in terms of median income, population, and racial make up of city proper.

Last edited by MB2; 07-08-2008 at 06:40 AM..

Old 07-07-2008, 07:29 PM

415 posts, read 506,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMANN View Post
Kofi is an idiot. ATL is an airport code that simply gained popular usage as a nickname. Its origins are from the airport code though.

Cobb is definately not going to decline. Areas like Smyrna and Downtown Marietta and Mableton have already declined. They are on the upward swing at this point. MAYBE the outer suburbs will begin to decline, like Paulding, Bartow, Spalding, and Henry. But if anything the four metro counties of Gwinnett, Cobb, Dekalb and Fulton will rebound from here simply due to location.

I predict that due to rising gas prices Metro Atlanta's growth will begin to spill over in huge amounts into city proper. I also think the 2010 census is going to reveal many drastic changes in terms of median income, population, and racial make up of city proper.
Thanks.

Your thing on airport codes is wrong though. ATL is the abbreviation for Atlanta. Just like SEA is for Seattle, DAL for Dallas, AUS for Austin, HOU for Houston, MIA for Miami, NY for New York, etc.

Old 07-07-2008, 08:01 PM

31 posts, read 126,057 times
Default Atlanta and the Urban Future

Governing: Atlanta/July 2008

Old 07-07-2008, 08:36 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,876,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kofi713 View Post
What's wrong with "the ATL? Isn't ATL, Atlanta's initials?
If you're an airline employee, yes. I'm not.

I don't expect people who are so young they don't even know what a VCR is to understand, but not everyone speaks in urban slang. The only exposure I had to "The ATL" nickname was when a very uncreative and stereotyped movie came out a couple or so years ago about gangs and street life called "The ATL", at which time the slang gained ground and started being used more by the Freaknik generation. Before then, as others have already pointed out, it was (and is) nothing more than an airport designation, and for most of us, simply street slang which hardly stirs up a good image of the city when used. Just my opinion.

But completely aside and forgetting THAT topic, if I were to base Atlanta's migration trends lately, it still comes up with the same conclusion. Post-Katrina, we saw a large number of criminals and gang members from New Orleans migrate to the city and raise the levels of certain types of crimes. Here on these boards, we're averaging a couple of, "I'm a mother of 6 kids on Section 8 about to move to Atlanta...." posts every week it seems. With the complete collapse of the economy in Detroit, we are now seeing their own criminals migrating here since there's no one left to prey on there. Simply based on these events alone, the choice in the poll of, "Atlanta will become more crime filled and more ghetto", seems inevitable. Again, just my opinion.

Last edited by atlantagreg30127; 07-07-2008 at 08:45 PM..

Old 07-07-2008, 11:56 PM

16,690 posts, read 29,506,412 times
I think Atlanta will (well, it already is) become the NYC of the South. But, the major international city I think Atlanta really has the most in common with is Sao Paulo, Brazil.

Read about Sao Paulo (its history, growth, "business focus", regional magnetism/hub)...and you will see what Atlanta will become. There are so many parallels between Atlanta's and Sao Paulos past and present. There was actually an article written comparing Atlanta and Sao Paulo, but I haven't been able to find it on the internet.

For the record...Sao Paulo is known for its pollution, traffic, and crime...but also for its outstanding energy, cultural activities, nightlife, opportunities, unmatched business climate, etc. (really anything and everything one can imagine)...and despite all of its problems, most "Paulistanos" wouldn't dream of living anywhere else!

**In terms of the poll, I think choices 1, 4, and 5 are correct.

Old 07-08-2008, 07:08 AM

6,540 posts, read 12,037,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainyRainyDay View Post
C'mon now. This reads like you think all of Cobb and all of Gwinnett are decaying (in comparison with only "parts of Dekalb"). I can't comment on Gwinnett, but this statement is just silly for Cobb.
I should have been more specific about Cobb. Most of East Cobb is still nice, but where I grew up in Southeast Cobb (along Powers Ferry), is kind of going downhill.

Old 07-08-2008, 12:49 PM

2,757 posts, read 5,642,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
Post-Katrina, we saw a large number of criminals and gang members from New Orleans migrate to the city and raise the levels of certain types of crimes. Here on these boards, we're averaging a couple of, "I'm a mother of 6 kids on Section 8 about to move to Atlanta...." posts every week it seems. With the complete collapse of the economy in Detroit, we are now seeing their own criminals migrating here since there's no one left to prey on there. Simply based on these events alone, the choice in the poll of, "Atlanta will become more crime filled and more ghetto", seems inevitable. Again, just my opinion.
Yeah, I see the same thing and I know that there has to be more people who are coming into this city that are like the ones you refer to. I'm all for Atlanta getting better but we don't need "real gangsters" in this city (if you're a gangster this applies to you).

Old 07-08-2008, 03:25 PM

1,582 posts, read 2,184,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
If you're an airline employee, yes. I'm not.

I don't expect people who are so young they don't even know what a VCR is to understand, but not everyone speaks in urban slang. The only exposure I had to "The ATL" nickname was when a very uncreative and stereotyped movie came out a couple or so years ago about gangs and street life called "The ATL", at which time the slang gained ground and started being used more by the Freaknik generation. Before then, as others have already pointed out, it was (and is) nothing more than an airport designation, and for most of us, simply street slang which hardly stirs up a good image of the city when used. Just my opinion.

But completely aside and forgetting THAT topic, if I were to base Atlanta's migration trends lately, it still comes up with the same conclusion. Post-Katrina, we saw a large number of criminals and gang members from New Orleans migrate to the city and raise the levels of certain types of crimes. Here on these boards, we're averaging a couple of, "I'm a mother of 6 kids on Section 8 about to move to Atlanta...." posts every week it seems. With the complete collapse of the economy in Detroit, we are now seeing their own criminals migrating here since there's no one left to prey on there. Simply based on these events alone, the choice in the poll of, "Atlanta will become more crime filled and more ghetto", seems inevitable. Again, just my opinion.
Your opinions are lot more stereotypical than the movie.

It was actually about this skating rink on the southside and how it was THE place for area kids on the weekends back (I'm guessing) in the 80's.

Secondly, the ATL moniker was actually popularized by rap songs long before the movie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta