Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 07:35 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,187,870 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteyNice View Post
There are Chik-Fil-A, Popeyes and Krispy Kreme in Boston.
Yup...

Chik-Fil-A = Burlington Mall, Pheasant Lane Mall
Krispy Kreme = Medford
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2008, 07:50 AM

18 posts, read 78,112 times
Let me not forget, I also miss those one of a kind accents - the Boston, the New York, the Jersey, and Philly accents. Ay-Oh!

Not to take away from the southern drawl but there is something special about those accents.

Old 07-09-2008, 08:01 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,373,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
- The great New England sports fans. Something about fans in places like Boston, NYC, Chicago that you don't get in Atlanta.
You get it here, it just revolves around the high school and college teams, rather than the pro teams.

Old 07-09-2008, 08:27 AM

1,145 posts, read 4,211,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
You get it here, it just revolves around the high school and college teams, rather than the pro teams.
Yep totally agree. Back in Boston, people worship pro sports and don't give a damn about college sports. In Atlanta, it's pretty much the exact opposite.

Old 07-09-2008, 08:33 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,373,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Blue 99 View Post
Yep totally agree. Back in Boston, people worship pro sports and don't give a damn about college sports. In Atlanta, it's pretty much the exact opposite.
Yeah, I don't get it. In NJ, even most Rutgers students/grads could care less about Rutgers football, yet down here you've got people rooting for Tech and UGA like rabid dogs, who've never even gone to college. Kooky.....

Old 07-09-2008, 05:27 PM

3,615 posts, read 7,775,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromGA View Post
If you are originally from the Northeast (Boston - metro DC), and now living in Atlanta:

what do you see as primary positives about Atlanta

what do you see as primary positives about your Northeast hometown

what would it take to keep you in Atlanta, or make you want to move back to your Northeast hometown.

Thanks for your thoughts!
Primary positives: Good job market and growing, real estate opportunities. Some neighboring cities with developing city centers and new urbanism. Potential of outpacing NE cities if the state can get its head out of its butt and build some more transit.

Primary positives about my NE hometown (Glastonbury, CT): Much better schools, longer spring and fall seasons, closer to beach and skiing.

Keep me here: Build transit and don't become a Detroit and pass up that chance. Improve education so that when my child is school age I don't have to think about moving to a NE schoolsystem or going private. Even the best schools in metro ATL stink compared to where I come from. The continual removal of conservative politicians and views would be nice as well.

Old 07-09-2008, 07:35 PM

642 posts, read 2,218,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
Yeah, I don't get it. In NJ, even most Rutgers students/grads could care less about Rutgers football, yet down here you've got people rooting for Tech and UGA like rabid dogs, who've never even gone to college. Kooky.....
You must not have been back home lately because that is no longer true about Rutgers football. It's an in-dmeand ticket and they have a waiting list of upwards of 10,000 for season tickets. The students, alums and state residents were jsut waiting for a good team to get behind. I only had the chaNCE TO go to one game last season and although they lost to West Virginia it was a blast. Every game is a sellout now and in fact in this off-season they've begun a 13,00 seat stadium expansion project. And me although I didn't attend RU call me crazy but I used to attend games when they would be losing 35-0. ARTER THE FIRST QUARTER!!!!! LOL. So i deserve to see the transformation.

If you don't believe me that the interest is now high check out this link for how many people are on their discussion board right now. At 9:35 on a Wednesday in the offseason.
ScarletNation.com - Message Boards

Last edited by kayrob; 07-09-2008 at 07:46 PM.. Reason: addition

Old 07-09-2008, 07:43 PM

642 posts, read 2,218,809 times
Oh and besides having RU football season tickets. other things I miss are:

driving less than an hour down to the shore area during the summer(aaah boardwalks)

occasional trips to Atlantic City.

A good pizza place a few minutes from home or work about anyplace they may be.

Seeing Mets games on TV.

Things I like about here:

The first thing would be the winters.

Of course there are a lot of other things we could get into socially and for entertainment but with a 2 year old child and most of our baby-sitters back in New Jersey there's not much of that unfortunately. But I know what's out there.

Old 07-09-2008, 08:26 PM

1,362 posts, read 4,315,359 times
What are you hearing from your folks in the Northeast about declines in the housing prices? What year-level is it at right now (ie. it is at 2005? prices...?), and how much further to go?

Any (anecdotal) evidence that Norhteasterners cashing-out and moving to Atlanta/sun belt has slowed down?

Old 07-09-2008, 09:02 PM

18 posts, read 78,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromGA View Post
What are you hearing from your folks in the Northeast about declines in the housing prices? What year-level is it at right now (ie. it is at 2005? prices...?), and how much further to go?
I am not sure about other areas in the Northeast but in my hometown there is no decline in housing prices (even in this current economy/housing market). A typical run of the mill new construction 4 bedroom 2.5 bath home here without all of the bells and whistles that runs about $120 - $180K (depending on the area) will cost you about $400K minimum up there . And that's just for your standard home without any extras or fancy upgrades. For $400K you can get a McMansion here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta