Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 11:09 AM

2,047 posts, read 4,620,764 times

Advertisements

I have a fictional book planned where Atlanta is destroyed with anthrax and smallpox, I suppose I could just change it to an earthquake. If it becomes a bestseller, maybe it'll frighten enough people to go for mass transit.

I don't know that much about the 'brain train.' Doesn't it go to Athens? Are people in Gwinnett more in need of transportation to Athens than they are to Atlanta? Or am I missing something? (As usual)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2008, 11:13 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,298,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoslynHolcomb View Post

I don't know that much about the 'brain train.' Doesn't it go to Athens? Are people in Gwinnett more in need of transportation to Athens than they are to Atlanta? Or am I missing something? (As usual)

The brain train would connect Atlanta to Athens, with stops along the way at several colleges and universities (and some neighborhood stops). It's not about getting people from Gwinnett to Athens vs. Atlanta.

Georgia Brain Train Group - A Commuter Rail, passenger train, Atlanta rail, college connector rail

Old 07-17-2008, 11:28 AM

2,047 posts, read 4,620,764 times
Aaah, that's brilliant. So what's the problem again? Especially if it can be done quickly and cheaply, and is something that the folks in Gwinnett actually want. Is it something that the people there want?

Old 07-17-2008, 11:54 AM
JPD

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoslynHolcomb View Post
Aaah, that's brilliant. So what's the problem again? Especially if it can be done quickly and cheaply, and is something that the folks in Gwinnett actually want. Is it something that the people there want?
Well, it covers portions of five counties, so even though Gwinnett would have the most stations and most riders would be from Gwinnett, it's not really up to them. (Gwinnett opposes MARTA, but I don't believe the Brain Train would be MARTA operated system. I've been following the Brain Train concept for a couple years and I don't recall ever hearing that MARTA would have anything at all to do with the Brain Train. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.)

I live in Tucker and work downtown. If they build the Brain Train, I will ride it to work. I would also ride it whenever I make a trip to Athens. Although it's called the "Brain Train" it isn't just for college students/professors. Anyone would be able to use it.

From the website:

"How the Brain Train will affect Gwinnett ?

Gwinnett stands to be a big beneficiary when the Brain Train Commuter Rail begins operations.

You may ask how. For starters, anyone of us who lives in Gwinnett and drives anywhere, knows that traffic is a huge problem. This is especially true of people commuting to DeKalb or Atlanta for work. We have the longest commute times of any county in the Southeast.

A recent survey bears this out with 87% of Gwinnett respondents saying that traffic congestion is a big problem with 87% saying that the problem will only get worse over time.

When the Brain Train is up and running, studies show that around 80% of the riders will come from right here in Gwinnett County. That will take over 10,000 people daily off of our already overcrowded roads. This will mean traffic relief for everyone, not just those riding the Brain Train.

Four of the proposed stops are here in Gwinnett, the most of any county along the route. They will likely be at Cedars Road, Lawrenceville, Reagan Parkway and Lilburn."

Old 07-17-2008, 12:40 PM

73,031 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
The brain train would connect Atlanta to Athens, with stops along the way at several colleges and universities (and some neighborhood stops). It's not about getting people from Gwinnett to Athens vs. Atlanta.

Georgia Brain Train Group - A Commuter Rail, passenger train, Atlanta rail, college connector rail

http://www.georgiabraintrain.com/graphics/jpgs/athens-atlanta-rail.jpg (broken link)
What about everything west of Fulton County(like Marietta,Kennesaw, Cartersville,etc.)?

Old 07-17-2008, 12:49 PM
JPD

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
What about everything west of Fulton County(like Marietta,Kennesaw, Cartersville,etc.)?
Someone from that area needs to come up with their own concept.

Call your representatives. Maybe they know of something.

Or do what you can to support CFPT. They're the only organization I'm aware of that has transportation ideas that include the entire metro area (and beyond):

Citizens for Progressive Transit
http://www.cfpt.org/front.php (broken link)

http://www.cfpt.org/documents/worldclass_map.pdf

http://www.cfpt.org/images/wctv/lores.gif (broken link)

Old 07-17-2008, 12:54 PM

2,819 posts, read 10,404,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post

http://www.georgiabraintrain.com/graphics/jpgs/athens-atlanta-rail.jpg (broken link)
Has to go to Atlanta to pick up folks for Athens.
This route will be the best benefit as it was part of the 2006 study, which shows that the majority of gridlock on 85 comes south of Pleasant Hill, mostly from 316. This route includes Lilburn and Lawrenceville, along with Ceders.
You will find a huge decrease in 316 along with 85 traffic.
Also, I doubt that this idea would NOT be tied to MARTA, thus the ballihoo.
Instead, I will repeat, MATA wants to spend billions to lay 12 mile worth of track with the northern stop at Pleasant Hill. In short, higher taxation, overall no gridlock relief, and yet just another government beaucratic deficit boondoggle.

Old 07-17-2008, 01:01 PM
JPD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia View Post
Has to go to Atlanta to pick up folks for Athens.
This route will be the best benefit as it was part of the 2006 study, which shows that the majority of gridlock on 85 comes south of Pleasant Hill, mostly from 316. This route includes Lilburn and Lawrenceville, along with Ceders.
You will find a huge decrease in 316 along with 85 traffic.
Also, I doubt that this idea would NOT be tied to MARTA, thus the ballihoo.
Instead, I will repeat, MATA wants to spend billions to lay 12 mile worth of track with the northern stop at Pleasant Hill. In short, higher taxation, overall no gridlock relief, and yet just another government beaucratic deficit boondoggle.
Bold Point one: I think this is incorrect, but I'm not 100% certain. Where are you getting that info? That makes no sense at all. A rider should be able to go in the direction of their choosing without any backtracking.

Bold Point two: Please show me where it has been proposed that MARTA would be associated with the Brain Train.

Old 07-17-2008, 01:39 PM
JPD

Quote:
Now that I think about it, there was a recent thread on this website about a Marietta rail line.

//www.city-data.com/forum/atlan...usted-off.html

Old 07-17-2008, 02:28 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,089,277 times
Quote:
We already have own own local brains.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta