Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2008, 01:59 PM

4 posts, read 14,688 times

Advertisements

I'm a single mom of three toddlers. I have a potential job opportunity in Atlanta that pays fairly well...I think. I'm not sure what good pay for a single mom of 3 is in Atlanta, but I think they're gonna offer 90k. My biggest concern is safety. Is Atlanta safe? Are there nice, safe, family oriented neighborhoods close to buckhead? It seems like the housing market is pretty attainable. The weather really doesn't scare me since I am currently living in the arm pit of Texas. One of the negative for me is that I don't know a single soul in Atlanta. Thoughts?

Old 07-18-2008, 02:41 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,391,239 times
At 90k/year, you can likely afford a very nice home is some of the safe, better areas of the metro . My only concern would be the cost of daycare, and the fact that if one of the kids is sick and you can't send them to daycare (that never happens with 3 toddlers, right? lol), you're going to be missing work. Now, finding something close to Buckhead will be a different story altogether, unless you consider a 45 minute commute "close". I'm assuming you're asking because the job offer is in Buckhead?

Old 07-18-2008, 04:13 PM

100 posts, read 485,749 times
90K for a single parent with 3 small children living in Atlanta is not bad: it is an above average wage range for 1 working person. Many here make less than that, even if both parents are working. You will be able to find an affordable house in a decent neighborhood assuming you want to purchase a house. If I were you I might rent first to see how I would like it if I were new to the area. I would look in the Roswell area towards Alpharetta if I worked in Buckhead, it isn't that far away relative for Atlanta and you can find things easily in your price range.

Bob mentioned in his post the daycare costs: that will be a big one for you, for sure. It will easily cost you in the range of $100-$170 per child per week at a day care center in most areas of this city. Even with a sibling discount that adds up fast.

Old 07-18-2008, 10:09 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,895,026 times
I hate to also bring this up, but as I'm known for my bluntness...

As Bob touched on, daycares here will not keep a sick child. With THREE toddlers, your odds of one of them or the other being sick is pretty good, so you're talking about frequent days where you'd have to leave work to go pick them up when the daycare calls you and says, "Your child is sick - you need to come get them NOW".

Regardless of what the laws are or should be, the fact, is that not many employers in most sectors here put up with that long. I've worked for many companies that once a parent takes what they deem as "too much leave" for sick kids, they'll find some way of eliminating that person's job - even if they resort to using the excuse of "restructuring the department" or simple layoffs due to business, in order to avoid any run-ins with legals. Some companies won't even hire you off the bat if they know you're single with multiple kids, for this very reason... though they do it discreetly and not obviously, again, to avoid legal hassles.

I'm only bringing this up because you've stated that you're single and have three toddlers, and know no one here. If you're completely alone here and you don't have family and/or close friends locally who can assist you with your kids while you work full time, I just don't see how you could swing it unless this job you're being offered is from a place that has in-house daycare with isolation med rooms for kids when they're sick. That's RARE to find a company here with that.

If you have family/friends in Houston, you may wish to stay put at least until your kids get older. Family/friend support at this stage is worth more than anything at this stage, including a job with what seems like a high dollar figure in it.

Old 07-19-2008, 07:11 PM

525 posts, read 1,852,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
I hate to also bring this up, but as I'm known for my bluntness...

As Bob touched on, daycares here will not keep a sick child. With THREE toddlers, your odds of one of them or the other being sick is pretty good, so you're talking about frequent days where you'd have to leave work to go pick them up when the daycare calls you and says, "Your child is sick - you need to come get them NOW".

Regardless of what the laws are or should be, the fact, is that not many employers in most sectors here put up with that long. I've worked for many companies that once a parent takes what they deem as "too much leave" for sick kids, they'll find some way of eliminating that person's job - even if they resort to using the excuse of "restructuring the department" or simple layoffs due to business, in order to avoid any run-ins with legals. Some companies won't even hire you off the bat if they know you're single with multiple kids, for this very reason... though they do it discreetly and not obviously, again, to avoid legal hassles.

I'm only bringing this up because you've stated that you're single and have three toddlers, and know no one here. If you're completely alone here and you don't have family and/or close friends locally who can assist you with your kids while you work full time, I just don't see how you could swing it unless this job you're being offered is from a place that has in-house daycare with isolation med rooms for kids when they're sick. That's RARE to find a company here with that.

If you have family/friends in Houston, you may wish to stay put at least until your kids get older. Family/friend support at this stage is worth more than anything at this stage, including a job with what seems like a high dollar figure in it.
I have to agree with the above. I am a single mom with one child and I could not imagine not having my mom helping me! However, another option would be to become a member of an online mommy group (ex. atlantamommas.com) and you will quickly meet wonderful mothers. Most are stay at home moms and will be a great support system. I am not sure if you are religious or not, but my church has been a great support system. Becoming a member of a church and meeting folks will also be a great support system. I moved here from another state without knowing anyone, but I did have my mom.

How about a nanny? I don't know much about this option but having a nanny might work out better then daycare.

Good luck and pm if you have any questions!

Old 07-20-2008, 08:10 AM

39 posts, read 152,054 times
I agree, a nanny or au pair would be the only way to make it work. I think that daycare here can be $800-1000 per month, per kid, which when you triple that, would pay for a nanny. If you have family support where you are, I would stay put for a little longer unless you can arrange a telecommute and a nanny. My humble opinion!

Old 07-20-2008, 11:56 AM

2,047 posts, read 4,621,509 times
I only have one child and I'm not a single mom and I can't imagine being over here without any family support with three children. I don't have any family in Atlanta and it's very hard. I'm still at home now because I haven't found a job yet that would pay enough to justify the daycare expense. It would take more than half my salary. With three kids your $90k would be eaten up pretty quickly. I think I'd wait until at least one or more are in kindergarten. My son starts kindergarten next year, and with some luck I'll be able to find a job then.

Old 04-23-2011, 01:50 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,645,499 times
Did you have triplets? Something doesn't quite add up with your post. How does someone who has three toddlers and no husband even stay in the workforce?

You would have had to spent the better part of the last few years out of work or on a never ending maternity leave.

Why would you even have so many children on your own? Sorry people who do that aren't getting jobs that pay 90K a year.

They're getting govt. assistance.

Old 04-23-2011, 01:58 PM

2,530 posts, read 4,774,652 times
The cost of living and safety of Atlanta is going to be similar to Houston. Assuming 90K is the same or more than what you are making in Houston than you should expect a similar lifestyle.

Any issues you have regarding being a single mother of 3 is not going to be any different in Atlanta than you have in Houston unless you are moving away from an area where you have a support system to one where you have none. In that case you would likely need to be making more.

Old 04-23-2011, 08:41 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,895,026 times
REMINDER:

Folks, posting dates are located in the upper corners of the posts. You all are replying to someone who posted their inquiry in 2008.

Closing due to specifics of question/situation and age.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta