Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 12:13 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,812,854 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackCobain View Post
Its not that simple at all. The high crime rate makes insurance rates high for normal "non-thug" businesses, thus the only ones who will do business there are the ones that dont have insurance... That place needs to be closed down, wait another 10 years, then reinvent intelf. Hopefully by that time GSU will have 10,000 students living downtown looking for a place to have a drink.
What kind of proof do you have that there is a high crime rate at Five Points? Because it "looks" a certain way? From what I understand, the crime in that area is not bad at all...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2008, 01:38 PM

1,303 posts, read 2,095,059 times
There is nothing wrong with underground people just need to get over it. 5 points is what it is Just leave it at that. Isnt the Macys turning into some kinda nice shopping mall or something of that nature

Old 11-20-2008, 03:23 PM

1,104 posts, read 1,522,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantaATL View Post
There is nothing wrong with underground people just need to get over it. 5 points is what it is Just leave it at that. Isnt the Macys turning into some kinda nice shopping mall or something of that nature
Wait? What side are you on again?

Old 11-20-2008, 05:24 PM

7 posts, read 18,041 times
i haven't been to five points in a long time even though i'm just a few miles away. are there any bars/restaurants/clubs there that are worth mentioning?

Old 11-20-2008, 06:29 PM

1,498 posts, read 3,108,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
What kind of proof do you have that there is a high crime rate at Five Points? Because it "looks" a certain way? From what I understand, the crime in that area is not bad at all...
Shooting in park ends downtown chase | ajc.com (http://www.ajc.com/search/content/printedition/2008/11/12/manshot.html?cxntlid=inform_artr - broken link)

Fatal stabbing in brawl near Underground Atlanta | ajc.com (http://www.ajc.com/search/content/metro/atlanta/stories/2008/10/03/underground_atlanta_stabbing.html - broken link)

These both happened within the last 2 months. Both in broad daylight. I do not even want to know what happens there at night. I guess "looks" are not so decieving, are they?

Old 11-20-2008, 07:30 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,812,854 times
Quote:
Shooting in park ends downtown chase | ajc.com (http://www.ajc.com/search/content/printedition/2008/11/12/manshot.html?cxntlid=inform_artr - broken link)

Fatal stabbing in brawl near Underground Atlanta | ajc.com (http://www.ajc.com/search/content/metro/atlanta/stories/2008/10/03/underground_atlanta_stabbing.html - broken link)

These both happened within the last 2 months. Both in broad daylight. I do not even want to know what happens there at night. I guess "looks" are not so decieving, are they?
TWO CRIMES IN TWO MONTHS??? That isn't a high crime area! Thanks for proving my point...

Old 11-20-2008, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
TWO CRIMES IN TWO MONTHS??? That isn't a high crime area! Thanks for proving my point...
Did I say crimes? No. I posted the article to show how many murders were occuring in the area.

You must be living on Mars if you think those were the only two crimes commited in the area. Only high-profile crimes make the news. Usually a single 3-block area does not make the high-profile crime news more than once in a year. If there is a murder a month down there, I cant imagine how many armed robberies, assualts, batteries, or rapes are occuring.

Im sorry, but if you are so ignorant that you think an area where people are stabbed, shot, and murdered is safe, then go right ahead and put your stupidity to the test. Spend one night walking around down there. I dare you.

Old 11-21-2008, 07:30 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,298,453 times
Quote:
Did I say crimes? No. I posted the article to show how many murders were occuring in the area.

[/b]

Unless I'm mistaken, only one of the examples you listed ended in a death, so you can't say they were both "murders". And even if the stabber had died (maybe they have died, I haven't been following the story) in the hospital after being shot by the police officer, that still does not qualify as murder.

Semantics DO matter when using words like "murder".

I agree that Five Points and Underground are terrible, though, especially considering their potential.

Old 11-21-2008, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
Unless I'm mistaken, only one of the examples you listed ended in a death, so you can't say they were both "murders". And even if the stabber had died (maybe they have died, I haven't been following the story) in the hospital after being shot by the police officer, that still does not qualify as murder.

Semantics DO matter when using words like "murder".
Your right, that would not be murder by the cops. He did die in a hopsital 2 hours later. But it would be attempted murder on the part of the stabber.

Your being a bit nitpicky though. People are getting killed. Semantics really matter that much when people are getting killed on the streets during the day?

Old 11-21-2008, 09:31 AM

6 posts, read 12,044 times
Quote:
Your right, that would not be murder by the cops. He did die in a hopsital 2 hours later. But it would be attempted murder on the part of the stabber.

Your being a bit nitpicky though. People are getting killed. Semantics really matter that much when people are getting killed on the streets during the day?
Yeah, crime happens down there, but it is mostly confined right around the MARTA station and is overwhelmingly property-related and non-violent. Just because there were two high profile incidents in the last couple of months does not necessarily mean anything. Before these two, when's the last time there's been a major incident down there? If high-profile shootings continue to happen every several weeks for the foreseeable future, then we have MAJOR problem. Like I said, I'm not saying there isn't crime there, but don't make a trend out of two isolated incidents. There will always be some crime in an area that has such high pedestrian traffic with workers, students, tourists, homeless, etc...

I guess the Waldorf-Astoria in Manhattan must be in a high-crime area since there was a shooting there last week when someone attempted a smash-and-grab at a jewelry store within the hotel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta