Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 08:25 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,876,421 times

Advertisements

The Midtown/Va Hi/Buckhead areas will generally have the more actively fit people.

For the most unfit - I dare you to pay a visit to Paulding County on a Sunday after church to any restaurant with a buffet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2008, 08:42 PM

23,452 posts, read 44,061,014 times
I can say that on the whole, people in the city of Decatur look pretty fit.
If you want to see some serious lard on legs, hang out in front of an Old Country Buffet sometime.

Old 08-05-2008, 06:01 AM

2,206 posts, read 6,890,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
Hmmm... not sure I can narrow it down to any specific location within the metro area over another. I can say as someone who recently moved here, the number of obese people (not just slightly overweight) here is striking.
It's really sad. I was back in BC (Canada) visiting family last month, and I was struck by how thin the public-at-large looks there. We've way too many obese people here. It has to be bad diets and lifestyles without enough exercise.

Old 08-05-2008, 06:22 AM

2,819 posts, read 10,401,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainyRainyDay View Post
It's really sad. I was back in BC (Canada) visiting family last month, and I was struck by how thin the public-at-large looks there. We've way too many obese people here. It has to be bad diets and lifestyles without enough exercise.
I think the largest issue is processed food and the massive servings of food. Good example was last week when a group of us went to Pappadeaux's. There was 16 of us so we ordered 2 sampler starters before our order. The starters were so large that first, we could not finish those, and we either canceled or brought home our main course. You can find that at just about every restaurant in America.

When you look at the South and mostly in this area, mom and pop locations hardly exist. Little to no diners, all chains. With chains you mostly find processed foods. Foods that come pre-prepared, and salt sealed. And of course you get 2 pounds on your plate.

Go to McDonalds, or that southern staple, Chic fil A, which to this day I cannot figure out what the draws is and look at their on site nutrition values. Scary The old number 1 McDonalds (again the one with the parking lot full at lunch hour) regular size, can pack 1,000 calories and over 85% of your daily fat intake in one little bag. We all know that most Americans have to order the "large" size of course

I always noticed when I traveled to Europe or Japan the servings are much smaller, chains are few and far between, and lastly folks are more mobile. Almost like NYC, where the residents, not tourist, are more slender. NYC offers more independent restaurants, and residents in Manhattan walk all over. Something most folks here don't do.

Heck, I walk 4-6 miles per day on the park trails, I have all the room in the world, peace and quiet, why? I think most of the other folks are sitting in line at McDonalds waiting for their Sausage Cheese Bisquit with double hash browns, chocolate milk, juice, and a McCookie Is there such thing as a McCookie?

Old 08-05-2008, 06:31 AM

894 posts, read 4,348,998 times
Georgia, excellent and spot on post.

Old 08-05-2008, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ready2move View Post
Georgia, excellent and spot on post.
I agree; Georgia hit the nail on the head, especially about the way we live vs the Europeans and Asians. In European cities, people are walking at a breakneck pace, even the 80 year olds...you had better pick it up or get out of the way if you don't want to get knocked down.
Meals are a much more leisurely affair there (and, like Georgia said, with smaller portions)...they eat more slowly and stop when they've had enough.

Old 08-05-2008, 07:54 AM

826 posts, read 3,120,376 times
I don't venture very far OPT much;however I did have an outside dinner at an Atlantic Station restaurant this weekend. I was shocked by the large percentage of overweight people.

Old 08-05-2008, 09:25 AM

2,642 posts, read 8,258,580 times
I think the current state of suburban living, in general, is not conducive to fitness because it's too car dependent. This can be changed by changing zoning in the suburbs and adding more pedestrian and bike paths.

Consider this...in order for many people to remain fit they must actually set aside time in their lives to do it and they must buy it. This presents a whole host of problems, especially when you have a family and you don't get home until 7pm because you have a long commute.

But, if you can remain fit for free and without having to make room for it - walking or biking to work or errands - then you don't have to think about, get exhausted thinking about it, dread doing it, etc.

At least I am describing myself.

I was never overweight until I moved to Georgia. But, from the time I moved here until this past year my weight climbed and climbed until I hit 220lbs. I am female and only 5'4".

Some of this was just getting into the real world after grad school - career, family, etc. But, some of it was that my commute was really long and I couldn't bear the thought of getting home even LATER because I stopped at the gym. I couldn't just get on my bike and take a ride because besides my subdivision there was nothing but highway...same with jogging. I was in my car all the time for everything.

But, since moving to the city I just about never drive. I started walking to work, then graduated to biking to work. I bike to the store because I can cut through quiet back streets. I started jogging because I could head out from my house and jog along all kinds of pedestrian friendly places. My son can come with me because it's not too dangerous with traffic and I have more time because I am not commuting any more.

Since then I have lost almost 70lbs. I'd like to lose about 15 more to get back to where I was before I moved here.

So, from my own experience and after discussions with my husband who is an exercise physiology professor I'd say that fitness levels are highest where's it's easiest to incorporate it in your life. Oftentimes that's in urban areas, or in the country on farms.

I guess I didn't really think about how there are a greater number of thinner people where I live now until I went to visit my friend who has a farm in Winder. I've visited before but it had been a long time. We went to Wal-Mart to get some of their old produce to feed to the capybaras. I could not believe the number of really fat women there! I was astounded.

At least they were comfortable with their bodies. No apparent self-esteem problems.

Old 08-05-2008, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia View Post
Is there such thing as a McCookie?
You can stick a "Mc" in front of anything, as far as McDonalds is concerned. I had a friend in college who once bragged that her uncle invented the McDonut. Me being the smarta** that I am replied, "So he bought a donut at Krispy Kreme and stuck a Mc in front of it? Big Deal". I was dropped from her Christmas card list after that comment.

Old 08-05-2008, 09:42 AM

5 posts, read 12,728 times
not me, but definitely my neighbors in midtown who work out like 3hrs a day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta