Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 01:16 PM

2,642 posts, read 8,261,490 times

Advertisements

I think anytime someone lists why they like one location over another it comes across to the "another" location as bashing. I know I've listed a million times why I prefer to live "ITP" or "intown", having lived BOTH OTP and ITP...but I get why people prefer OTP and I don't think it makes them less good people.

It's like preferring your wings fried or baked...matter of preference and maybe cholesterol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2008, 01:22 PM

10,072 posts, read 14,449,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post

Everyone's different. I personally don't think I'd like living in New York, but then Atlanta's not my favorite place, either. Something in-between would be nice if it's exists at all.
I would personally say a city such as Boston or Seattle would fit into this "niche" you mention. Boston has a number of ethnically diverse neighborhoods that are dense, safe, and full of various backgrounds. Seattle does, too. Both Boston/Seattle are bigger "feeling" cities than Atlanta (for me). They are obviously smaller than NYC (much), but better "real-feeling" cities.
But, anyway, Atlanta is positioned to perhaps prove everyone wrong, in terms of it becoming full of dense, safe, diverse neighborhoods--but as it stands now, there's a good 20 years it could take to get there.

Old 08-11-2008, 01:58 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,195,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
Boston has a number of ethnically diverse neighborhoods that are dense, safe, and full of various backgrounds.
If you include the suburbs, yes, but in Boston, the neighborhoods aren't that diverse and are actually pretty segregated along ethnic lines. Southie is Irish; Eastie is Italian; Charlestown is Irish/Italian and mostly white; Dorchester and Roxbury and mostly black and/or hispanic; the South End is gay and trendy; Back Bay is upper income and mostly white, as is Beacon Hill.

The areas around Northeastern and BU are mixed based on the student population, but most of MA is white anyway, so the only "diversity" you really see if between Irish or Italian white folks. There is also very little political diversity in Boston. If you're not a liberal Democrat, you are in the distinct minority.

Atlanta is a MUCH more "diverse" place than Boston.

Old 08-11-2008, 02:09 PM

23,466 posts, read 44,100,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
I would personally say a city such as Boston or Seattle would fit into this "niche" you mention. Boston has a number of ethnically diverse neighborhoods that are dense, safe, and full of various backgrounds. Seattle does, too. Both Boston/Seattle are bigger "feeling" cities than Atlanta (for me). They are obviously smaller than NYC (much), but better "real-feeling" cities.
But, anyway, Atlanta is positioned to perhaps prove everyone wrong, in terms of it becoming full of dense, safe, diverse neighborhoods--but as it stands now, there's a good 20 years it could take to get there.
jj, this is probably as close to the truth as I've heard today.

Old 08-11-2008, 02:15 PM

321 posts, read 1,119,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plessthanpointohfive View Post
I think anytime someone lists why they like one location over another it comes across to the "another" location as bashing. I know I've listed a million times why I prefer to live "ITP" or "intown", having lived BOTH OTP and ITP...but I get why people prefer OTP and I don't think it makes them less good people.
Thank you Mz. P-OH-5 ... my dear you said it quite eloquently ...everyone is a product of their experiences, education, travel and upbringing ...NOT necessarily their "zip" code.

I know from your other posts that you're a young parent, married, professional, homeowner, up-and-coming bringing new life to older neighborhoods with history to continue that energy to the next generation. My hat is off to you and others like you ... because I WAS there when I was your age ... doing the SAME thing, only in a different place!

Once again ... I've stated before and will stand by my conviction that we all could treat each other a little better these days, remove labels and perceptions ... evaluate on content of character and level of integrity. No more 'inside' or 'outside' ... it's SO segregating to me.

Quote:
It's like preferring your wings fried or baked...matter of preference and maybe cholesterol.
Uh oh ... ITP "faux pas" ... Beep-beep ... "Beam me OUT Scotty please" ... "Surely you'll help us out here" (don't call ME Shirley) ...

You forgot "grilled" love .. goodness gracious!

I think I learned about grilled at my local OTP McDonalds... I ate there twice already today since there is NO other choice out here!

Isn't Cholesterol a hot new salon in Buckhead?

Last edited by rswlguy; 08-11-2008 at 02:38 PM..

Old 08-11-2008, 05:25 PM

1,120 posts, read 2,592,078 times
Quote:

Due to a computer glitch, I'm unable to read the CL article, so I don't know what the article said.

OTP and ITP thoughts, discussions, are absent in my life. Personally, I don't think about this subject.

If I did, OTP and ITP viewpoints/bashing? probably involve the underlying societal dynamics of: conservative/liberal political correctness, religion, educational levels, ethnicity, sexual orientation, and perceived social status. Jealously and envy are also in the equation.

I would hazard a guess that most native Atlantans probably wouldn't be too thrilled and happy living in NYC. For them, NYC is like a different planet.

Southerners today are the power brokers. The South may have lost the Civil War but they pretty much rule the roost today.

The South is a dynamic economic engine that keeps steaming along, while the North is in a state of economic decline. The ultimate destiny of Detroit doesn't look good.

Old 08-12-2008, 01:58 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,801,761 times
good points made,pretty accurate of what i hear also.

Old 08-12-2008, 02:00 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,801,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
jj, this is probably as close to the truth as I've heard today.
i second that(or third that?)

Old 08-12-2008, 11:14 AM

269 posts, read 1,070,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rswlguy View Post
One thing I will say in all my years of travelling ... I have NEVER heard a New Yorker state, "Ewwww, you live in Brooklyn, The Bronx, (Long Island, Upstate, Westchester County, etc.)
They don't even have to say it. A lot, if not most, of Manhattanites, would rather go to prison than live in Brooklyn or New Jersey -- they have some very hard choices to make when the second child arrives. They don't say anything because it would be so rude Like talking to someone driving an old Corolla and saying "eww, why don't you get a Mercedes"?

As for the other boroughs -- forgeddaboutit.

Way outside the city is another matter, especially in Westchester and Connecticut. Although "society" has been dead for decades, you get enclaves of old money there, and they know who they are. Some of the most prestigious areas in the US. Same for parts of Long Island.

Old 08-12-2008, 11:28 AM

321 posts, read 1,119,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masonbarge View Post
They don't even have to say it. A lot, if not most, of Manhattanites, would rather go to prison than live in Brooklyn or New Jersey -- they have some very hard choices to make when the second child arrives. They don't say anything because it would be so rude Like talking to someone driving an old Corolla and saying "eww, why don't you get a Mercedes"? As for the other boroughs -- forgeddaboutit. Way outside the city is another matter, especially in Westchester and Connecticut. Although "society" has been dead for decades, you get enclaves of old money there, and they know who they are. Some of the most prestigious areas in the US. Same for parts of Long Island.
Bravo to you for stating so. Like I stated, never heard it so far. I'll be there Thursday night in Manhattan ... ahhh "bliss" ... in a real city and real "city" people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta