Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 01:45 AM

1 posts, read 3,281 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are moving down south from connecticut very soon. We are planning or living in either the suburbs of Augusta or Atlanta. We need some information on the two counties. We have come down too the cities of Evans, and Marietta. Is Evans, or Marietta a better place to live and raise a family? We are looking for somewhere that has low crime and good schools. Do you know any more cities or towns located in columbia or cobb county that are nice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2008, 05:41 AM

193 posts, read 692,905 times
I'm sure you could probably find somewhere nice in Disgusta if you really tried, but why bother? Personally I only go there in the first week of April.

Old 08-04-2008, 07:04 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,187,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitta View Post
My wife and I are moving down south from connecticut very soon. We are planning or living in either the suburbs of Augusta or Atlanta. We need some information on the two counties. We have come down too the cities of Evans, and Marietta. Is Evans, or Marietta a better place to live and raise a family? We are looking for somewhere that has low crime and good schools. Do you know any more cities or towns located in columbia or cobb county that are nice?
Well, I'm not familiar with Augusta, so I can't help there, but I'm familiar with Cobb and Connecticut. First, why and how did you narrow down to those two areas? How does your job fit into the picture?

Marietta is a suburban area of Atlanta with a fair number of transplants from the northeast and other areas. You will not feel all that much southern influence today, although there is some distinctly southern culture and history evident. Many of the individual schools in Cobb are among the top in the state, and areas in East and West Cobb fit that bill. Homes run from very expensive to more affordable for smaller, older, less updated ones. Crime is generally not a big problem in Marietta, although you're not exempt, and in the City of Marietta you're more apt to be involved in a crime than in East or West Cobb outside the city limits. Smyrna, Kennesaw, Acworth, Powder Springs are other cities in Cobb and may be an option depending on your needs and budget.

In Augusta, I would assume that you won't find the same number of transplants and more of the folks will be native southerners, which may be your preference. I would also suspect that the area is far less built up and more open space exists, with less congestion. No idea what the schools are like there. There is always a lot of discussion about Augusta on the Georgia board and you'll get lots of opinions on that area.

Old 08-04-2008, 11:48 AM

250 posts, read 610,238 times
Columbia county is more like gwinett than cobb in atlanta. They have alot of traffic and overcrowded schools. Too much growth that happen too fast for the county. Alot of yuppies just like gwinnet also. Overall the crime is low and most of the schools are good in columbia county. Evans was voted number 32 on the top 100 best places to live. Martinez also in columbia county has made the list before too.

Old 08-06-2008, 09:57 PM

1,072 posts, read 2,033,710 times
well, true.. Columbia County is like a little Gwinnet.. minus good shopping and dining.
You have the same suburban sprawl (just not as extensive) and awful drivers.. but you don't have all of the attractions of metro Atlanta.
East Cobb has some of the best schools in the state. I think you will find it has more to offer and more to do and you will probably be more comfortable with the deomographic makeup of the area... lots of higher incomehighly educated professionals from all over the country.

Old 09-06-2008, 04:10 PM

880 posts, read 2,861,254 times
Ummm... Cobb county traffic is a LOT WORSE than anything in Columbia county. And don't even bring Gwinnett into the mix, by brother lived up there and had a 3 and a half hour commute each way to work downtown. The drivers in metro Atlanta are a lot worse too, some of the worst I have ever seen. Been practically run off the road several times there. (lived in the area for 18 years)

Old 09-06-2008, 05:06 PM

321 posts, read 1,119,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedudewiththeplan View Post
Ummm... Cobb county traffic is a LOT WORSE than anything in Columbia county. And don't even bring Gwinnett into the mix, by brother lived up there and had a 3 and a half hour commute each way to work downtown. The drivers in metro Atlanta are a lot worse too, some of the worst I have ever seen. Been practically run off the road several times there. (lived in the area for 18 years)
Good gracious, where did you brother live? Very NORTH Gwinnett? I live in NE Cobb and can make it my airport parking lot in 45min. (non rush hour). Yeah everyone will agree drivers are not the best here (17 years here myself).

However think of ONE THING! I believe people are driving less and less. I just got back from Los Angeles ... got a ride from Santa Clarita (North Los Angleles County) and made it to the LAX airport in less than 1 hour. People are driving MUCH less out West and I believe in Metro Atlanta also.

Just my observation. Think traffic around here has been much less than previous year.

Old 09-07-2008, 06:42 AM

360 posts, read 1,010,981 times
I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess there is not a TON of differences between Marrietta and Evans, on the total scale of comparing/contrasting places.

So I think the big thing to ask yourselves is what kind of greater metro area do your prefer: do you want to be next to one of the largest cities in the country or next to a small city? I lived in downtown Augusta in the 1980s, and I liked it. And it's a good bit nicer now than when I lived there. It's definitely a more conservative area. Sometimes, I think day-to-day living is EASIER in a smaller city. That's always something to consider.

Old 09-07-2008, 07:47 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,854,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromCLTtoATL View Post
I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess there is not a TON of differences between Marrietta and Evans, on the total scale of comparing/contrasting places.

So I think the big thing to ask yourselves is what kind of greater metro area do your prefer: do you want to be next to one of the largest cities in the country or next to a small city? I lived in downtown Augusta in the 1980s, and I liked it. And it's a good bit nicer now than when I lived there. It's definitely a more conservative area. Sometimes, I think day-to-day living is EASIER in a smaller city. That's always something to consider.
Ditto. OP, this is the major question you must settle for yourself and family. Augusta will be more old south, Atlanta has less of the old southern feel to it, the growth has come from all over the country and the world.

But then my opinion is from someone who grew up an hour south of Atlanta and could tell the contrast from my hometown to Atlanta suburbs, meaning I might see distinctions that would not mean much to you. Atlanta might seem hugely southern to you. Just be aware Augusta will only be moreso.

The main difference will be in size of population. A metro area of 5 million will have a lot more to offer (both positive and negative) than one 10 times smaller.

Old 09-07-2008, 10:29 PM

1,755 posts, read 5,680,198 times
Cobb is great as long as you don't bring your (assuming) liberal ways with you and try to 'enforce' them on others. If you're very Blue I'd go inside the perimeter. Cobb is very Red.

Columbia, no clue but I assume Red as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta