Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2008, 02:45 PM

27 posts, read 74,562 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nataya1280 View Post
Honestly do you think that if more whites, Jews, Chinese or any other race/group of ppl were to move into Atlanta that BLACKS would still reign supreme????? LMAO..... My skills and/career path doesnt matter unless one of you actually hold a high enough position to hire anybody. Jobs come and go...ppl can change their careers as well I am far from starving....So Native you need not worry about what I can or cant do BTW there is more to New York that NYC....LOL
You'll make it. It just make take a minute. Persist and persevere! I can understand where you are coming from. Just be patient, and give Atlanta a chance.

Old 09-07-2008, 10:53 PM

135 posts, read 525,855 times
Thanks for the shout out Truth and NY.

Old 09-07-2008, 11:15 PM

44 posts, read 170,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeasisrael View Post
I just wonder...just say money doesn't make YOU happy. But I would guess for some folks money makes them very happy.
Those are the ones who don't have any. Try kissing a dollar bill, and see if it kisses you back.

Old 09-07-2008, 11:35 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,424,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Get out of my way View Post
Those are the ones who don't have any. Try kissing a dollar bill, and see if it kisses you back.

LOL...Good one..

Old 09-09-2008, 02:29 AM

107 posts, read 183,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Get out of my way View Post
If you want to be happy, you give up the need for excitement and appreciate the smaller things -- people, mountains, trees, ocean. Maybe you would call that "Leading a dull life", but to me, I think its sad that people work so hard to impress and gain acceptance from others and they'll never get it because they don't realize that the only ones they need to impress are themselves.

As far as great places to visit and jobs in Atlanta, just pick up a copy of the Journal-Constitution, you will find them in there.
Now that was a really good post! Wow man you get it! Peace

Old 10-17-2008, 07:01 PM

9 posts, read 18,601 times
Default My Opinion

I believe no matter where people go, some will succeed and some won't. It is all depends on their situations. Atlanta maybe a Black Mecca to some people, but deep down the city is like every other US city; it is run by "The Owners."

Old 02-28-2009, 09:55 AM

73,024 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chip1980 View Post
Most people are like you, move down thinking they are going to become rich overnight with no plan. Stop watching BET so much. People work at burger king all over america. Atlanta will always be the black mecca, no other city has blacks in position like Atlanta does besides DC. Charlotte has nothing on Atlanta. If anybody thinks so they need to get out more. In closing, nobody is going to hand you nothing. If you moved to Atlanta with no plan expecting to be rich overnight you will probably be right back in Ny soon. As far as Atlanta being slow, Id rather live slow in Georgia verses playing $1500 for a studio apartment in ny with rats as big as cats outside.

I wouldnt call it "hype" unless you moved down with no plan and ended up moving back home. Its plenty of blacks that have came down with a plan and they are living good.

If you think its hype, answer these questions for me....

1. What job skills do you have? (education)

2. Did you expect a handout when you moved down?

3. Why did you leave Ny and move down without a job?

4. Why didnt you move down without a plan?
Sometimes you can move to Atlanta and have the skills and education and still not make it. My father came to metro Atlanta because he got a job as in engineer. Three years later he was laid off and stayed out of work(in his field at least) for a year. He had to take a contract job in another state to pay bills. He eventually was able to find work in metro Atlanta, until he was laid off...again. He has a master's degree and, at the time of this second layoff, over 2 decades of experience being an manufacturing engineer. You would think someone with those credentials could find plenty of work, and he was able to find more work, when he went to Texas or some other state. My father rarely worried about job security until he moved to Georgia. That is an example on how sometimes you can have the education and the plan, and still have problems. He's working now, but he's in a different state. As soon as I get my degree, I might leave too.

Old 07-07-2009, 12:02 PM

4 posts, read 20,135 times
[SIZE=3]An insider's perspective:[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]People think Atlanta is run by random black people who openly accept anyone with dark skin color. This is the furthest thing from the truth! Atlanta is run by Morehouse, Spelman, Clark Atlanta, Howard, Hampton, Harvard, Princeton, Penn, Dartmouth, Georgia Tech, and Emory graduates. If your not from one of those colleges, you will have a tough time experiencing the “mecca” you expected. Telling a black Human Resource Exec that you graduated from Morehouse College is the equivalent to saying you graduated from Harvard. It might not be the same thing, per say, but it gets you in the door the same way Harvard graduates get in the door all over the country. The Spelman Women who graduate year after year have no problems finding lucrative jobs in Atlanta. Spelman alumni, who are CEOs, lawyers, doctors, etc; would have it no other way. I know people who went to Hampton University & Howard University undergrad, then went to Georgia State Law School (just because it was in Atlanta) and have jobs in their second year in Law School. I can’t over emphasize how exclusionary Atlanta has become. Its like a secret society for blacks nowadays. The mayor of Atlanta Shirley Franklin, went to Howard, Mayor Maynard Holbrook Jackson, Jr. (Morehouse Alum), Mayor Andrew Jackson Young (Howard Alum), Mayor Ivan Allen, Jr. (Georgia Tech), it goes on and on. Same old schools, same old networks. Your not “in”. Its not gonna work out for you. There are exceptions of course as there are with everything but for the most part: Morehouse, Spelman, Clark Atlanta, Howard, Hampton, Harvard, Princeton, Penn, Dartmouth, Georgia Tech, and Emory run Atlanta. So if one of these schools aren’t listed on you resume, your not someone famous or you don’t have connected family down here; Atlanta will not be the Mecca…………………[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]U.S. Navy (7 years), B.A. Morehouse, current Emory MBA student[/SIZE]

Old 07-07-2009, 12:58 PM

750 posts, read 2,276,865 times
What are you doing posting your same statements throughout City Data?

Old 12-10-2009, 10:53 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,783,641 times
Atlanta is too hyped! People move here from what that have seen on the media. When they finally move here, they are outdone! Hype has contributed to Atlanta's blackness. We black people (a lot of us) love to move somewhere the hype is based on tv. I also feel like a lot of blacks are unhappy here based on what they have seen so far: Atlanta is nothing like you see on tv. Atlanta is real life once a person has experienced it for himself. Blacks feel like they have to stay here and see what Atlanta has in store for them; little success comes because some of our people have transitioned for the wrong reason and in the wrong way. We come here for big houses, money, and a great lifestyle, but a lot of us end up living in an apartment complex and working in office that pay an okay salary. Atlanta's hype and overration is nothing but propaganda. Blacks need to just realize that Atlanta is not for everyone and stop moving here because you watch The Real Housewives of Atlanta or Frankie and Neffie. We as a race need to be more realistic and just ditch it out where ever we are instead of trying to move to Atlanta and in the long get our feelings hurt because of our unexpectations. Weget here and complain about traffic, racism, and the lack of success. Now we're stuck here because we have little money to move elsewhere because we got a job that pays less than what we expect. Atlanta is HYPE! HYPE! HYPE!

I'm black and none of this has happened to me. I'm just speaking based on what my family members, friends, and strangers have gone through! I know blacks aren't the only people who experience this!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta