Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2008, 07:35 PM

2 posts, read 7,506 times

Advertisements

I live in N. Dallas and I may be moving to Alpharetta, GA -well I have never lived in areas with bad air quality days up to levls of orange and red before I moved to dallas area! It's terrible! I have constant sinus issues and infections and have to take antibiotics and feel miserable every day.....

I noticed on weather.com that your area doesn't seem to have any mold in the air!! just the reg. tree, weeds, grass stuff- amazing!!! we have mold in the high counts for our air quality all of Aug, and parts of sept. all ready - HELP!!!

My poor daughter gets the same thing I do with mold....
SO how are all your allergies doing ?????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2008, 07:56 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,872,549 times
Atlanta is NOT known to be the place to be if you suffer from allergies. It has extremely high pollen counts in the Springtime, and again during certain times in the Fall. Many people come here from other areas of the country and complain about how they never suffered from problems where they came from, only to have miserable symptoms here.

They usually just give a pollen count on the news here, and don't break down any mold counts. I'm sure Atlanta doesn't have the mold problems that places like Savannah or New Orleans would have, however, we do have SOME. I'm allergic to mold too, and from time to time my stuff acts up. So it is here - in what quantity though, I don't know.

Still - if you and your kids have allergy problems, Atlanta with the pollen and smog alerts, may not be the place for you.

Old 09-06-2008, 08:08 PM

293 posts, read 1,106,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Escgirl View Post
I live in N. Dallas and I may be moving to Alpharetta, GA -well I have never lived in areas with bad air quality days up to levls of orange and red before I moved to dallas area! It's terrible! I have constant sinus issues and infections and have to take antibiotics and feel miserable every day.....

I noticed on weather.com that your area doesn't seem to have any mold in the air!! just the reg. tree, weeds, grass stuff- amazing!!! we have mold in the high counts for our air quality all of Aug, and parts of sept. all ready - HELP!!!

My poor daughter gets the same thing I do with mold....
SO how are all your allergies doing ?????

I was born and raised here and to tell you the truth...my allergies have gotten WORSE!!! I have sinus infections at LEAST twice a year. I agree with Greg...if you are having those issues now...they will continue when you get here and this is not the place for you. If you must move here...take Singulair and Claritan daily and you will be fine. Allergies are so bad here that Claritan, which was only obtained by prescription, is now available over the counter!!

Old 09-06-2008, 08:09 PM

2,047 posts, read 4,618,588 times
Atlanta has the worst air I've seen since Birmingham. I tend to have problems with pollution. Pollen bothers me, but not nearly as much as car exhaust, gasoline and stuff like that. There were days here this past summer when I literally couldn't leave the house. When I absolutely had to my eyes were streaming and I'd have blinding headaches. I lost my voice twice, and I've only been here since May! Atlanta is not the place to be if you have problem with allergies.

Old 09-06-2008, 08:18 PM

2,206 posts, read 6,889,338 times
Yes, my husband never had allergies before moving to Atlanta in his forties. He now has allergy misery from the ragweed and other pollens here.

My west-coast tree allergies cleared right up on moving to Atlanta and I'm blessedly allergy-free here, in the midst of all the tons of pollen and pollution. I feel really lucky because it's clear my experience is very unusual. Most people are like my poor spouse and the other sufferers who've offered their stories, above. If you've got allergy troubles in Dallas, a move to Atlanta is not likely to bring you relief.

Old 09-06-2008, 10:09 PM

193 posts, read 692,847 times
Mold in the air? gross

Old 09-06-2008, 11:58 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,872,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by martarider View Post
Mold in the air? gross
It's in the form of mold spores. You can't see it - it's much smaller than visible pollen. If the concentration of it is high enough, it can be almost as severe to some folks has an allergy to penicillin.

Old 09-07-2008, 12:04 AM

2,047 posts, read 4,618,588 times
It's really funny Rainy how different type allergens have such an effect. When I moved to Huntsville from Birmingham everyone told me I'd be miserable. There's some type of inversion thing there and some people call it 'the Valley of Death.' I was there for ten years and I had fewer allergy problems there than anywhere I've ever lived. That's when I discovered that for the most part pollen is not a problem for me. I only had problems in Huntsville in October, and that's when they spray defoliants on the cotton. I'd have a miserable month and after that I'd be okay. In Birmingham I had allergy shots, an inhaler and all manner of homeopathic remedies and I STILL had a half dozen infections and a like number of voice losses. I fear Atlanta will be much of the same.

I'm not sure what's with the air in Birmingham, presumably it's no longer a factory town, so I don't know why the air is so bad, of course some of the commutes are as bad as Atlanta, so maybe that's the problem.

Unfortunately, it sounds like Atlanta has the worst of both worlds with both pollen and smog, it's a nasty combination that provides little relief.

Old 09-07-2008, 12:55 AM

481 posts, read 2,821,424 times
Atlanta's air isn't great.

However, Alpharetta, which is pretty far north of Atlanta, doesn't have much smog. There are tons of trees in the Alpharetta area too....

However, we have tons of pollen at certain times of the year. I don't have any allergies, but every year there comes that time where you can't park your car anywhere outside because when you come back it will be yellow.

No I'm not kidding.

Old 09-07-2008, 06:50 AM

1,501 posts, read 5,100,917 times
I'm not sure what is in the air right now, but my allergies have been horrible this past week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta