Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2008, 05:21 AM

17 posts, read 38,523 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,
this is a great site with lots of info! sorry if these are previously asked questions.....
My husband is waiting for confirmation of transfer to his Atlanta office-if so we all get to go for couple of years at least!
Office is based in Sandy Springs so I guess it makes sense to stay in this area as it sounds nice-confirmation please from anyone who knows!
My kids are aged 4,6 & 8 so what would be best school for them-I don't want to stick them on school bus.....I usually take them myself here.
Is it nice area for families? we would have to rent initially until we know long term plans.
Any info would be greatly appreciated.
thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2008, 05:37 AM

2,206 posts, read 6,892,884 times
Hi Brit family,

Sandy Springs is a nice area. Others are more informed than me about its qualities as a residential area, and the schools, so I'll hope they chip in on those topics. I have just a couple of minor points.

Regarding the thread title, Atalanta is of course a character in Greek mythology. The name of the city, Atlanta, may or may not have been derived from Atalanta, but at any rate is spelled with one less A.

Regarding school buses - it's much more environmentally responsible to send your kids on the school bus than to join the long line of parent cars idling outside of schools. Britain doesn't have school busing, so naturally this custom is unfamiliar to you, but I suggest you be open to giving it a try. (Needless to say, walking to school is even better, if you're close enough.)

I hope you will settle in smoothly and enjoy your stay in the USA!

Old 09-17-2008, 06:25 AM

thx Rainyrainyday-sounds like the weather here!
Yes-a typing error-I obviously know how to spell Atlanta-just not how to type!
I would love to walk my kids to school,I was thinking more in terms of safety in an unfamiliar place let alone country-if US does the walk to school thing I would be delighted!

Old 09-17-2008, 07:14 AM

314 posts, read 1,278,071 times
Decatur...you can walk your kids to school in Decatur. Good school system to, but expensive, a 3/2 1500 sq footer might start at 350k a 2/1 would probably be under 300k. just a guess. but its expensive at anyrate.

If you really want walkable keep your search inside I-285 (Atlanta loop). There are a few walkable communities outside the loop, but there's always somthing to mess it up. ie Marietta, BEAUTIFUL town, walkable to schools and the square...but the city schools arent really all the good and crime is high. Norcorss is another example outside 285...walkable, but not to schools, and crime is rising.

But inside the perimeter (i-285)theres Decatur, Candler Park, and others that are closer to the criteria that you are looking for. I'm sure it wont compare to what you have in the UK, but it'll be close!

Good luck! welcome to the US!

Old 09-17-2008, 08:39 AM

1,320 posts, read 4,275,872 times
While I, personally, agree with meadgrad that Decatur is highly preferable to Sandy Springs, if you're going to be working in Sandy Springs it's probably best if you live in that area. There is no "good" way to get from Decatur to Sandy Springs during rush hour. You either have to take I-285 (the "Perimeter" highway around the city), which is always nightmarish during rush hour, or take a long and circuitous route over secondary roads that is time-consuming and stressful.

Most Sandy Springs residents apparently like Sandy Springs. Decatur is more charming and more "enclosed" and if you weren't working in Sandy Springs I'd certainly suggest it would be a great place for you.

Dunwoody is close to Sandy Springs. I believe Vanderlyn Elementary is considered a very good school.

Here's a link to a list showing relative ranking of all Georgia public schools:

Georgia Public Policy Foundation - www.gppf.org (http://gppf.org/default.asp?pt=doc&doc=reportcard - broken link)

Best of luck and welcome to Atlanta.

Old 09-17-2008, 09:30 AM

thankyou to all replies so far-you are quick & informative & seem so friendly!
I love the States-lived in Baltimore (20 years ago....how time flies)for couple of years & have always dreamed of returning to "my home"-anywhere in the States but returning with 3 young kids is quite daunting-taking them from what they know & hoping it is the right decision......all info is REALLY appreciated thankyou.

Old 09-17-2008, 09:43 AM

8,057 posts, read 12,865,336 times
East Cobb County has probably the highest rated schools in all of Georgia and is just across the river from Sandy Springs, so would be an easy commute for your husband. It is also much more acclimated toward families of your size and age than inner neighborhoods (not that the inner neighborhoods don't have families with kids, East Cobb just all the moreso). Cobb County taxes are much less than Fulton and you can get much more house for the money.

Closer in neighborhoods are nicer for childless situations, the price for housing is much steeper and really makes sense for those who want out of the traffic and work in downtown or midtown. Since your job is in Sandy Springs, my advice is stay out in that area where the schools are better and the cost of living cheaper.

Old 09-17-2008, 04:20 PM

481 posts, read 2,822,676 times
I agree, East Cobb is the best choice. It's just as nice as Sandy Springs, has the best schools in Atlanta, is right next to Sandy Springs, and has lower taxes. There's no downside.

For the closest proximity to Sandy Springs, look at the Sope Creek and Mt. Bethel Elementary School districts in East Cobb. Both of these border Sandy Springs and are among the best schools in the state. Mt. Bethel eventually leads to Walton High School. Sope Creek can lead to either Walton or Wheeler High School. Walton is the best school in the state and in the top 1% in the country, so try to get a house in that district.

You won't be walking anywhere in East Cobb though (or Sandy Springs). These are car-oriented family suburbs. As for school buses, there's really nothing to worry about. They will come to your neighborhood and you can walk your children to the bus stop and get them on the bus, which will take them straight to school. East Cobb has practically no crime so there's nothing to worry about. You can drive them to school if you want, but I'm pretty sure after trying that for a week you won't want to do it again, it's quite a waste of time and gas. The traffic in and out of schools in the mornings here is incredibly bad.

Old 09-17-2008, 06:53 PM

23,466 posts, read 44,108,506 times
Yep, me three on this if your husband will be working in Sandy Springs. East Cobb gets high marks for schools, location and quality of life.

Old 09-18-2008, 03:59 AM

GF72 & LovinDecatur-this is great info thankyou! I will do some research later when kids in bed!
I guess I don't understand the distance thing as used to everything being on my doorstop-& like any good parent worry about my kids whether it be Atlanta or Birmingham,UK!-I think the kids would love going on school bus anyway,any US programme they watch they always say"wish we could do that!" Would my 4 yr old be in pre-k & would he get bus too? he has just started school here-it's quite different in the UK.
One other thing-do schools have alot of parent involvement or does getting school bus distance you from it all?
I know nothing about the way it works over there.
Thanks again for all the tips I'm getting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta