Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2008, 11:25 PM

7 posts, read 31,906 times

Advertisements

I'm just curious...but, other than the urban sprawl, why do people constantly compare Atlanta to Los Angeles?

I have been interviewing for a job in Atlanta and it looks as though I may get an offer. I have never spent any time in Atlanta, so I don't know what to expect...but everyone seems to compare it to LA.

Also, I have read so much about the 7:1 male to female ratio. Is it really that bad? I wouldn't turn down a good job offer for such a reason, but I am a professional SWF 35 looking to eventually meet someone special. Is it really that difficult for the ladies in Atlanta? Does anyone out there have any thoughts on my demographic and dating in Atlanta?

I took a job in Salt Lake a few years ago and it has been horrible in terms of dating. Someone my age that is unmarried in Utah is rare. Needless to say, there isn't a large pool of single professionals here and I'm hoping that this would be a move for the better.

Thanks in advance for all who respond!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2008, 07:36 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,496,439 times
There are many who commute an hour or more each way daily from outlying suburbs creating gridlocked traffic across the metro area--presumably comparable to LA's traffic.

Several weeks ago Atlanta placed first on Forbe's list for cities for singles.
Best Cities For Singles: #1 Atlanta - Forbes.com

I think the male/female ration 7:1 is wrong.

More young professionals live ITP/Inside the Perimeter than OTP/Outside the Perimeter and certainly have many options for recreation.

~~~
I hope you can visit Atlanta prior to moving here. Some transplants are disappointed.

A recent thread on the Culture of Atlanta>>>

//www.city-data.com/forum/atlan...e-atlanta.html
Do you have any idea where you might be working? Posters might have more specific suggestions for a specific area--ie Alpharetta, Intown, Decatur?

Last edited by TakeAhike; 09-30-2008 at 08:00 AM..

Old 09-30-2008, 03:56 PM

7 posts, read 31,906 times
Thanks for your reply. The company with which I have been interviewing is located downtown near the Peachtree Center. I will be in the area this Friday-Sunday to try and get a feel for the city. From what I read on these forums, it seems that either Buckhead or Midtown might be the best areas for me to look for a place to live. I'm hoping that the commute won't be too bad. Any thoughts?

I did happen to read that Forbes piece on Atlanta/Singles...but then I also read the threads on this forum in which many completely disagreed. I have to admit that I have a small case of "cold feet." I have read through what people say in the forums of many other cities and, while it is true that there will always be "nay-sayers", the number of people who seem to really dislike Atlanta seem to far outnumber the those who dislike the other cities. Or perhaps the people of Atlanta are simply more vocal on these forums.

Back to the LA question...is it just the traffic, then, that makes Atlanta so comparable to LA? Are there other reasons? I ask because I happen to like LA. I lived there for quite a while after college and I felt as if I was on a perpetual vacation. When I read that people seem to really compare the two cities, I thought that I might really enjoy Atlanta too. Hopefully, people aren't simply finding the two cities comparable on the negative aspects, such as the urban sprawl and the awful traffic.

Honestly, with all of the negative posts I read here, I'm surprised that anyone would want to move to Atlanta. With the incredible growth it has seen over the last several years, I know that there has to be something great about it...other than the cost of living. Right?

Old 09-30-2008, 04:24 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,496,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnysosweet View Post
Thanks for your reply. The company with which I have been interviewing is located downtown near the Peachtree Center. I will be in the area this Friday-Sunday to try and get a feel for the city. From what I read on these forums, it seems that either Buckhead or Midtown might be the best areas for me to look for a place to live. I'm hoping that the commute won't be too bad. Any thoughts?

Midtown and Buckhead would be reasonable commutes but you have a larger area from which to choose. I personally wouldn't select Buckhead, very upscale and expensive. About 5 miles north of Buckhead is Brookhaven, just beyond Lenox Square/Phipps and MARTA accessible. Many young professionals in this area. In a response to another post someone recommended the Lindbergh area and that might be good.
Inman Park, Candler Park and Virginia Highland are more interesting intown/midtown areas--close to Piedmont Park. The best area for singles according to many.

I did happen to read that Forbes piece on Atlanta/Singles...but then I also read the threads on this forum in which many completely disagreed. I have to admit that I have a small case of "cold feet." I have read through what people say in the forums of many other cities and, while it is true that there will always be "nay-sayers", the number of people who seem to really dislike Atlanta seem to far outnumber the those who dislike the other cities. Or perhaps the people of Atlanta are simply more vocal on these forums.
I don't pay a lot of attention to the negative posts--I'm a native and you can have a good life in Atlanta. If you 'need' the Pacific Ocean, Rocky Mts or a 200 yr old historic district then Atlanta cannot offer that. Many who really dislike Atlanta quite possibly really dislike many things. I am often amazed at what people expect.

Back to the LA question...is it just the traffic, then, that makes Atlanta so comparable to LA? Are there other reasons? I ask because I happen to like LA. I lived there for quite a while after college and I felt as if I was on a perpetual vacation. When I read that people seem to really compare the two cities, I thought that I might really enjoy Atlanta too. Hopefully, people aren't simply finding the two cities comparable on the negative aspects, such as the urban sprawl and the awful traffic.

I think it is mainly the traffic and sadly a 'less courteous' attitude. Having resided here for decades I well remember a time when motorists didn't curse one another or drive as recklessly.

One of the better parts of Atlanta is NE Atlanta near Emory--diverse and progressive/moderate and lovely. If you can't find something to like about this part of Atlanta then it is not the right place for you.

Knowing very little about LA I would say that Atlanta has attracted many people from across the US and the world--I am certain that this has been going on for over a century in LA but that might be a point of comparison.

Truthfully, Atlanta is progressive for the Bible Belt but the attitude is basically conservative. A trip to the North GA mountains or anywhere in South Georgia will explain what I mean.

Honestly, with all of the negative posts I read here, I'm surprised that anyone would want to move to Atlanta. With the incredible growth it has seen over the last several years, I know that there has to be something great about it...other than the cost of living. Right?
People vent on message boards. Some people chose to locate their homes far from a place of employment--'Oh, I am used to the traffic in New Jersey or California and an hour's commute won't be a problem...' It does become a problem and they 'hate' Atlanta or they can't find the right kind of employment or thousands of other reasons. No liquor sold in grocery stores on Sunday--there have been several threads on that.

It is best to visit for a week and decide for yourself.

Last edited by TakeAhike; 09-30-2008 at 04:33 PM..

Old 09-30-2008, 08:11 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,897,365 times
Quote:
Back to the LA question...is it just the traffic, then, that makes Atlanta so comparable to LA? Are there other reasons?
1) Traffic
2) Smog (air quality)
3) Sprawl
4) Number of panhandlers downtown
5) Some say "fakeish" young singles scene

These are the top comparisons between L.A. and Atlanta.

Now, Atlanta has more trees than L.A. It doesn't (yet) have the gang problems. It doesn't have the inflated home prices. So yes, there are pluses compared to L.A. as well. Atlanta is a very "hyped" city with corporate head hunters, college hunters, and relocation services throughout the U.S. It's trendy. Some will come here after hearing the hype and go, "this is it???". Others like it. It's a love it or hate it city.

Your best bet is to do as you plan - spend time here. Spend as much time as possible here before committing to a move, and then decide for yourself if it's a fit or not.

Old 04-16-2009, 10:28 PM

11 posts, read 36,365 times
Red face Men in Atlanta

Quote:
I'm just curious...but, other than the urban sprawl, why do people constantly compare Atlanta to Los Angeles?

I have been interviewing for a job in Atlanta and it looks as though I may get an offer. I have never spent any time in Atlanta, so I don't know what to expect...but everyone seems to compare it to LA.

Also, I have read so much about the 7:1 male to female ratio. Is it really that bad? I wouldn't turn down a good job offer for such a reason, but I am a professional SWF 35 looking to eventually meet someone special. Is it really that difficult for the ladies in Atlanta? Does anyone out there have any thoughts on my demographic and dating in Atlanta?

I took a job in Salt Lake a few years ago and it has been horrible in terms of dating. Someone my age that is unmarried in Utah is rare. Needless to say, there isn't a large pool of single professionals here and I'm hoping that this would be a move for the better.

Thanks in advance for all who respond!
I hate to tell you, it Is that bad. I lived in Santa Monica for about a year, Atlanta about nine years, and Columbus the rest of my 52 years. Now, I am not banging on gay OK but many men look at Atlanta as a haven of tolerance and a place to go for being Southern and gay. Men don't get your jockies in a wad; my Atlanta room mate was a gay guy. I hate to say it, but the women there are straightup knockouts in a lot of areas. They were desperate too. I am no dog, but they made me look like a dung beatle. Dieting, tanning, profiling, the whole thing. It was worse in LA. Women just have to accept that to find a man, you better go to Southwest TX or rural areas. Men for the most part do not like big cities. The ones that are straight and successful find a woman, keep her a while and then change socks, if you know what I mean. Now, here is the irony. You never know what will happen. I got married in Atlanta! The man just liked me. The jealousy tore me up living in Gwinnet and Santa Monica. They would stare at him and beg for just a look. Yes, he actually was tall, dark, and handsome...not a good marriage in the end; but we were together for quite a while. Speaking on just a physical level, he could have done a lot better than me; however, he feel in love with me. He had bad habits and a bad temper...like me; however, I think that our marriage would have worked, if we had not been influenced by Atlanta and LA. I met my X husband in a grocery, around two in the morning when my grocery bag broke. I had on military pants, an old T shirt and flip flops. I was only a clerk at a motel, and a single mother. He had the looks, the FireBird car, and all the rest to boot. You never know where something can happen. I married him at thirty years old. I had lost hope of a viable man being in Atlanta and had given up. I guess give up, walk around like you don't give a damn, don't wear any make up, or nice clothes. Honestly, that is when I got more attention from men in both Atlanta and LA. Best of Luck (you never know where it will happen)

Oh, I know this is a strange after-thought, but I did not have sex with this man for ten months...I wanted to, but my instinct told me he had had plenty. I told him we could date, but I just wanted to be friends for a while. To be truthful, when I met him, I thought he was Moderator removed - Um.. WAY too much personal info there! PG-13 please! . I had had enough of the opposite sex to provide that whether I wanted to or not. Maybe it was making him wait too.

Last edited by atlantagreg30127; 04-16-2009 at 11:26 PM..

Old 04-17-2009, 08:51 AM

826 posts, read 3,122,035 times
Alot of people leasing Rang Rovers living in One Bedroom Apartments?

Old 04-28-2009, 11:56 AM

927 posts, read 2,226,884 times
Other than sprawl, I would say L.A. and Atlanta are similar for the following reasons:

1) Laid-back, friendly attitudes: If you compare Atlanta to other eastern cities, Atlanta is hands down one of the warmest cities personality wise. Despite some very apparent conservatism in some areas, people are generally friendly, they will not honk at you if you happen to be at a traffic light a second too long (as in NY, where they honk practically before the light turns green), and people are not constantly rushing somewhere to get nowhere (that's not a double negative, in NYC for instance folks rush on the subways, in the street, everywhere and end up the same place you end up).

2) Nice weather. Atlanta definitely does not beat LA in the weather department, but winters, albeit cold, are pretty short, and most every other season is warm.

3) Cleanliness: Atlanta to me just feels new. Being in New York for a few years just really makes me feel like I'm always seeing buildings of gray and trash heaps. Atlanta is pretty sparkly in most areas.

4) Natural landscape: I love the fact that I can see trees, sky, and open space. L.A.'s got it's oceans, but Atlanta is clean and foresty. I forgot how many trees were in my city until I flew over it last winter. It's pretty incredible.

Overall, I like both cities a lot, and I realized I'm more a L.A/ATL type girl than a NYC one. Living in NYC with it's grunge and noise makes Atlanta feel like heaven.

I think a lot of people misrepresent Atlanta because of stereotypes. The city itself is predominately black, and unfortunately many people automatically equate black with dirty and criminal. Really, it is a great place to live, work, and play and I can't see myself settling anywere else.

Old 04-28-2009, 11:59 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,302,470 times
Quote:
Mexicans.

Old 04-28-2009, 12:01 PM

173 posts, read 471,393 times
Entertainment industry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta