Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 05:41 PM

2,437 posts, read 3,855,308 times

Advertisements

I know that there are various areas in which you can get a 3 to 4 bedroom house from $50k to $180k. What are the predominantly white areas that have this type of real estate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2008, 06:38 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,402,292 times
You can get a 3-4 br house in the higher end of your price range in Cherokee County and be in a "predominantly white" area. I can't think if any areas on the lower end of your range that would fit that description.

Old 09-30-2008, 06:43 PM

23,488 posts, read 44,146,303 times
In the $100's...
eastern Gwinnett
Paulding
extreme north Cobb
Cherokee
western Walton
Rockdale
Coweta

Old 09-30-2008, 06:50 PM

2,437 posts, read 3,855,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
In the $100's...
eastern Gwinnett
Paulding
extreme north Cobb
Cherokee
western Walton
Rockdale
Coweta
What is the quality of life like in these areas?

Old 09-30-2008, 07:02 PM

23,488 posts, read 44,146,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by equinox63 View Post
Typically, you're going to be in a subdivision of 'starter' homes...my concern would be when current owners want to trade up and decide that renting the house out might be the path of least resistance...and then God knows what you're going to get in there. For now, these areas are generally quite safe. But I'm thinking of a couple of friends of mine...one owns in Newnan and has taken a job in MN, the other owns in N Cobb off Wade Green Rd and has taken a job in Germany. Both neighborhoods fit the parameters that you're looking for and were great when they were new...now,the houses are virtually unsaleable. My friend in Newnan is in the position of butting up against a vast development of brand new (empty) homes, and hers has been lived in...what chance does she have to sell it? Therein lies the problem.
However, you're in the driver's seat...there are some real good deals out there if you envision yourself in said house for the long run.

Old 09-30-2008, 07:53 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,906,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by equinox63 View Post
It's going to vary like anywhere else, but you may find yourself surrounded by teens on dirt bikes, Pit Bulls roaming loose, and drunk spouses fighting in their driveways as they bust out each other's pickup truck windshields. Welcome to the affordable outer suburbs. LOL

In other words, go through potential neighborhoods during the day, evening, weekend, and then knock on a few doors and introduce yourself, asking what people who live there think, BEFORE you buy. You can't go by neighborhood appearances only here.

Old 09-30-2008, 08:11 PM

8 posts, read 32,421 times
Cherokee County is great, but what does "white" have to do with anything?

Old 09-30-2008, 08:15 PM

2,206 posts, read 6,895,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
It's going to vary like anywhere else, but you may find yourself surrounded by teens on dirt bikes, Pit Bulls roaming loose, and drunk spouses fighting in their driveways as they bust out each other's pickup truck windshields. Welcome to the affordable outer suburbs. LOL

In other words, go through potential neighborhoods during the day, evening, weekend, and then knock on a few doors and introduce yourself, asking what people who live there think, BEFORE you buy. You can't go by neighborhood appearances only here.
Hah, I wouldn't recommend knocking on any door in a neighborhood that looked remotely likely to have marauding Pit Bulls et al. It'd probably be opened by one of those weapon-loving free people so beloved of some of the folks on the gun threads.

Old 09-30-2008, 08:32 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,906,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainyRainyDay View Post
Hah, I wouldn't recommend knocking on any door in a neighborhood that looked remotely likely to have marauding Pit Bulls et al. It'd probably be opened by one of those weapon-loving free people so beloved of some of the folks on the gun threads.
That's kind of my plan, though. If you knock on a door and Charlene answers with uncombed hair, tattoos all over her arms, and a lit cigarette hanging out of the side of her mouth asking, "What the hell do you want??" - it's probably a good indication you want to move on to the next subdivision.

Old 09-30-2008, 09:32 PM

133 posts, read 505,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
That's kind of my plan, though. If you knock on a door and Charlene answers with uncombed hair, tattoos all over her arms, and a lit cigarette hanging out of the side of her mouth asking, "What the hell do you want??" - it's probably a good indication you want to move on to the next subdivision.
But...why does her name have to be Charlene...?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta