Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2008, 05:59 PM

2,437 posts, read 3,849,531 times

Advertisements

What can you tell me about Maynard Jackson High School - formerly Southside High School in SE Atlanta?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2008, 07:04 PM

no info?

Old 10-07-2008, 10:11 AM

426 posts, read 1,446,283 times
Sorry not to have anything concrete to offer. A number of years ago, my neighborhood was being redistricted and I compiled stats for our neighborhood organization comparing Southside to Grady. The differences in terms of the college prep program and outcomes (SAT scores, AP exams, etc.) was pretty stark, with Grady being far superior. But that is the extent of my knowledge. My neighborhood was redistricted into Grady. BTW, per your earlier email about CP, GP, and Edgewood. CP is Grady, GP and Edgewood are both Southside.

Old 10-22-2008, 04:25 PM

1 posts, read 7,190 times
Maynard H. Jackson High School is a school that is spit into academy there are three academy early college, information tech, and fine arts the class they offer is college prep class, AP class, dance, and art MHJ is in Glenwood Ave it was Southside but now its (Maynard H. Jackson High School)
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][/SIZE][/FONT]

Old 10-22-2008, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by key1991 View Post
Maynard H. Jackson High School is a school that is spit into academy there are three academy early college, information tech, and fine arts the class they offer is college prep class, AP class, dance, and art MHJ is in Glenwood Ave it was Southside but now its (Maynard H. Jackson High School)
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
What about the students, teachers, culture, demographics, performance, etc.?

Old 05-10-2011, 03:33 AM

Default Invest or Abandon...

Is the Grant Park Community going to support and invest in Maynard Jackson High School or will they abandon it to establish a charter high school?

What are the pros and cons of each choice?

(And why don't may Grant Park residents invest in King Middle School?)

Old 05-10-2011, 03:55 AM

3,972 posts, read 12,660,509 times
I think because they have their charter middle school which is fairly well loved.

Charter high schools are tough to build from scratch-- because you need accredidation and you need expensive science labs and in GA, now, some career type courses, that can be expensive as well. (though charter schools may be able to waive the latter.)

I am sure you are aware that Neighborhood Charter School and Atlanta Charter middle school merged for next year. (I think this was always the plan -- though to get the money to start the middle school, it had to be a separate entity.)

Atlanta charter middle school has 8th graders this year. If no one responds here, then you could always contact the school.

Old 05-11-2011, 03:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastminutemom View Post

Charter high schools are tough to build from scratch-- because you need accreditation and you need expensive science labs and in GA, now, some career type courses, that can be expensive as well. (though charter schools may be able to waive the latter.)
So based on the above statement, can I assume that the Grant Park Community is leaning toward putting time, effort, and resources into bolstering Jackson High School?

I know they are attempting to become an International Baccalaureate School... But most residents that I speak to can go on for days about the elementary and middle schools, but tend to shrug their shoulders when I bring up high school. Do you think Maynard Jackson High School's poor reputation with residents will cause parents with high school aged children to move away?

Old 05-11-2011, 08:04 AM

426 posts, read 1,446,283 times
I will say that I know a number of people who were instrumental in the creation of the NCS and back then they weren't thinking that much about a middle school even. So as that bubble of kids gets older I would think parents will put more emphasis on the high school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: