Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 04:50 PM

293 posts, read 901,859 times

Advertisements

Saintmarks, thank you. Your analogy makes sense, and bravofan, your life experience example too. And yes, it could also be perhaps like the neonazzis in Europe... ok, I feel Forsyth could be a good place then (Cumming?) as it is not very far from Norcross, and I like rural or countryside.

I also want to reveal something here; my children have grown up in the UK, my partner is british, but I am French from Paris. I am not British, so I don't have this lovely british accent.

Oh well, I love the USA, and American people, and I'd love to live among them/you, so we will see.

Thank you to all of you, I have really appreciated all the inputs here on that subject matter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2008, 04:51 PM

606 posts, read 2,005,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorelandWalker View Post
Yeah statistically speaking it seems Forsyth wins the award for crackerest metro county
Forsyth definitely gets the award for the least diverse, and I'm sure that's why many people move there.

Old 10-27-2008, 04:58 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,192,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt8325 View Post
Forsyth definitely gets the award for the least diverse, and I'm sure that's why many people move there.
I was around in the '80s and remember the Forsyth County of old, and it's not the same. I think you guys are about 10 - 15 years behind.

Old 10-27-2008, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
I was around in the '80s and remember the Forsyth County of old, and it's not the same. I think you guys are about 10 - 15 years behind.
I looked it up and Forsyth is still 95% white, so the racial demographics havent changed that much over the years, except maybe more hispanics.

Old 10-27-2008, 05:09 PM

Quote:
I looked it up and Forsyth is still 95% white, so the racial demographics havent changed that much over the years, except maybe more hispanics.
93%, but I won't worry about 2%. Be that as it may, calling people "crackers" doesn't describe the population circa 2008. As you can see based on the income stats and the subdivisions being built, many of the people moving into Forsyth, and especially south Forsyth, are more educated and more affluent than the rednecks of the 1980s. Many are northern transplants who may be white, but they are not "crackers". They key is that minorities aren't threatened or run off as they once were.

Old 10-27-2008, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
93%, but I won't worry about 2%. Be that as it may, calling people "crackers" doesn't describe the population circa 2008. As you can see based on the income stats and the subdivisions being built, many of the people moving into Forsyth, and especially south Forsyth, are more educated and more affluent than the rednecks of the 1980s. Many are northern transplants who may be white, but they are not "crackers". They key is that minorities aren't threatened or run off as they once were.
Are most of these affluent people moving to Forsyth working in Forsyth ? Or is Forsyth more of a bedroom community ?

Old 10-27-2008, 06:23 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,860,718 times
Quote:
When I was younger, I remember Forsyth being one of the few counties in GA (the other couple or so were mountain counties) that was 100% white. Not 99.97%, but completely 100% white. For Forsyth to have grown well over 100,000 in population from a "pre suburban" population of like 17,000 or so with NO minorities at all, that means a sizeable number of AAs have moved to Forsyth in the last couple of decades.

Forsyth has the highest income of the metro Atlanta area (see other thread where you and I both posted) so perhaps the high prices of the homes there does keep it less minority.

But for a county that used to have a history of no blacks allowed to now be 5% minority is perhaps a greater testament to how far the area has changed than an area that went from say 10% to 30% minority or higher.

Old 10-27-2008, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
When I was younger, I remember Forsyth being one of the few counties in GA (the other couple or so were mountain counties) that was 100% white. Not 99.97%, but completely 100% white. For Forsyth to have grown well over 100,000 in population from a "pre suburban" population of like 17,000 or so with NO minorities at all, that means a sizeable number of AAs have moved to Forsyth in the last couple of decades.

Forsyth has the highest income of the metro Atlanta area (see other thread where you and I both posted) so perhaps the high prices of the homes there does keep it less minority.

But for a county that used to have a history of no blacks allowed to now be 5% minority is perhaps a greater testament to how far the area has changed than an area that went from say 10% to 30% minority or higher.
Forsyth is definitely more diverse than it was 20 years ago, but i bet the northern part of the county is still nearly 100% white. As far as Forsyth having the highest income in Metro Atlanta, it's definitely not because Forsyth has the best paying jobs. I bet 90% of people who live in South Forsyth commute to either Gwinnett or Fulton.

Old 10-27-2008, 07:05 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,860,718 times
Quote:
Forsyth is definitely more diverse than it was 20 years ago, but i bet the northern part of the county is still nearly 100% white. As far as Forsyth having the highest income in Metro Atlanta, it's definitely not because Forsyth has the best paying jobs. I bet 90% of people who live in South Forsyth commute to either Gwinnett or Fulton.

The northern part is growing with suburbanites too, so not sure of the demographics. I am sure it is still primarily considered a bedroom community, and an affluent one at that. The desire to live near Lake Lanier has always been a draw.

Old 10-27-2008, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Are most of these affluent people moving to Forsyth working in Forsyth ? Or is Forsyth more of a bedroom community ?
I'm guessing you don't live in the area. It's a suburban bedroom community. Alpharetta is just a few miles away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta