Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 07:19 AM

39 posts, read 104,580 times

Advertisements

Yes, CLT, I hate doing the whole NC vs GA thing, but the not only does our Triangle NPR have a full line up, but amazing local in-depth reporting and a lunchtime show only about NC. It was 15 years ago since they made the switch from classical during the day and the community just got right on board with huge captial campaign donations. We already had a separate classical though.

I am so bummed! I podcast a lot of things already, but it's just not the same as switching it on.

Well, I guess I have found my new pet project when I get to Atlanta. Every city has successful separate classical and NPR. When I convince WABE to get a separate signal, I'll be calling all of you for donations!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2009, 04:40 PM

6 posts, read 21,760 times
As a resident of NC, when I drove down to Atlanta I too was shocked and appalled that Atlanta doesn't have a full-time over-the-air (analog) broadcasting NPR affiliate. GPB out of Athens is just too far and too weak to receive in Atlanta, and I was dismayed to understand that WABE's main channel only carries part NPR News and part Classical radio. I also thought to myself how a city like Atlanta could not have a full time station for each. As someone from Charlotte, I've grown accustomed to having two NPR news affiliates, both offering different programming at times (WNSC-FM and WFAE-FM) and a classical public radio outlet on WDAV-FM. I think it's time some grassroots campaign was organized to bring a full-time NPR News affiliate to Atlanta or look to another radio station that's willing to air the classical 24/7, and have news 24/7 on the other.

Old 05-10-2009, 06:31 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,810,197 times
Obviously there isn't enough of a market here for it or it would be available...I can't imagine the boredom of listening to talk radio - I think there are enough other things to do in Atlanta.

Old 05-10-2009, 07:19 PM

925 posts, read 2,607,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteyNice View Post
It is all about Sirius. I too was shocked that a major city like Atlanta doesn't have a "real" NPR station. Coming from NYC with more NPR stations than you can shake a stick at I could not believe Atlanta had zero stations that broadcast the full NPR lineup.

Atlanta commercial radio is just awful. I don't like paying for radio but Sirius has a good mix of stations and oh yeah *real* NPR.

I have nothing against classical music, but not at the expense of NPR.
Sorry, but NPR is news with a slightly left bent, something of which doesn't carry much weight in the Atlanta market. People would rather listen to Mike Levin, Rush Limbaugh, Michael Savage, or Sean Hannity.

Old 05-10-2009, 07:22 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,810,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Fanatic View Post
Sorry, but NPR is news with a slightly left bent, something of which doesn't carry much weight in the Atlanta market. People would rather listen to Mike Levin, Rush Limbaugh, Michael Savage, or Sean Hannity.
I would rather listen to neither...and do something fun.

Old 05-10-2009, 08:24 PM

6 posts, read 21,760 times
Well I'm just really surprised that there isn't more of a market for it in Atlanta... interesting

Old 05-10-2009, 10:09 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,860,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Fanatic View Post
DFW has all three, talk radio for the right, NPR for the left and all time classical for those that need a break from the rap, jabber and Jonas Brothers/Taylor Swift. There are more than enough of all stripes in Atlanta to support all three. Something else political is going on here, I presume.

Old 05-12-2009, 02:29 PM

25 posts, read 153,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
DFW has all three, talk radio for the right, NPR for the left and all time classical for those that need a break from the rap, jabber and Jonas Brothers/Taylor Swift. There are more than enough of all stripes in Atlanta to support all three. Something else political is going on here, I presume.
In fact, the City of Dallas owns the 'all Classical' station:

WRR Classical 101.1 FM: About Us

Maybe Atlanta could do something similar, if it feasible, and let WABE become a full NPR.

Though, Birmingham doesn't have a separate Classical station, at least we just recently (1 year ago) got most of the NPR line up (Diane Rehms, Fresh Air, Talk of the Nation, All Things Considered and a few Alabama based news things).

Meaning the classical music was pushed to overnight after 7 or 8pm through 5am. Though on the weekends its from 12pm through 3pm and from 7pm to whenever.

Old 05-12-2009, 07:41 PM

3 posts, read 7,379 times
I could not believe it either, even Tulsa OK has a full-day NPR station and a classical station. I miss all of the BBC news and great local stories. I can't believe a city the size of Atlanta has such a poor NPR station!

Old 05-13-2009, 02:37 AM

513 posts, read 1,632,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
I can't imagine the boredom of listening to talk radio - I think there are enough other things to do in Atlanta.
I have this picture of people sitting in front of their radio and just staring at it . I doubt too many people are listening to talk radio and not doing something else at the same time. I'm sure I'd listen to NPR if it was on all day. I like classical music as well, but I only use the radio these days for talk.
Music is pretty much relegated to my own 7,000 song (and growing) iPod.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: