Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2009, 02:03 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,422,668 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
This won't last for too long. Charlotte has a growing Indian and Hispanic population. There is also a strong Middle Eastern populationgrowing too. Although Blacks still make up a strong majority, and I agree it could be the next Black Mecca, it could also be an Indian Mecce and Hispanic Mecca.

Nothing will top Miami as the Hispanic Mecca, if you want to use that term . While the number of Hispanics is high in other major metro areas like NYC, LA, Chicago, DFW, Miami seemingly has the upper hand on the amount of successful latino business owners, professionals, organizations, etc.

I know many that do not adjust well in places like Atlanta, Charlotte, etc. I'm not speaking for all, but a good amount that I know do not like these Southern cities. Miami although geographically south of GA, SC and NC, does not reflect many of the Southern "values" (if you want to call it that) that the three states mentioned do.

-What Atlanta seems to be for Blacks in terms of success and network, Miami is the same for Latinos/Hispanics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2009, 02:14 PM

2,531 posts, read 6,249,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eccentricbeethoven View Post
THANK YOU!!!!!!! I am from the DC area, PG county is a joke to african-americans in the DC area, Most of the middle-class to upper-class african-americans move to Fairfax County VA or Montgomenty County MD.

And from what I've heard, a lot of the black middle class that made the backbone of PG County have been fleeing from there for awhile. Charles County, MD (Waldorf/LaPlata, etc) seem to be the most popular destination. There are still lots of prosperous black neighborhoods there (Mitchellville, Upper Marlboro, Clinton, Brandywine, parts of Acokeek), but I can definitely see the trend of people heading south and out to far flung places like Upper Montgomery County and Columbia and Prince William County. They also have lower housing prices than the more closer in areas.

Due to the gentrification of DC in the last decade, PG has been a popular destination for people who were displaced. This has caused a lot of friction in the county. There was even a moratarium on apartments being built there, because it was feared apartments would bring even more "undesirables" there. So as you see, classism is an issue with blacks too.

It does seem like there is a stigma from the natives and the older transplants in PG about blacks *not* wanting to live in PG and choosing to live in NoVa or MoCo instead. My thing is, who cares? It's my money and if my black behind wants to choose to live somewhere else, that's my damn business.

Back on topic, Metro Atlanta is viewed as a favorable spot for blacks due to its history and its reputation as being black friendly and becoming successful. Although right now, we're suffering severely from the recession, and this has never been the land of milk and honey. I don't think that will change anytime soon.

However, I think Dallas and Houston are large metros that are destinations for blacks, Houston moreso (DFW has a large black population, but Houston has always been the blacker city in TX), and Charlotte or Raleigh-Durham are the mid-size metro "black meccas" for now. I think Orlando has some potential, but there are some economic and housing factors that really keep it from being a true black mecca. I don't think one city should really be the one black mecca though. Just my .02

These are just mere opinions of mine, not the gospel...

Old 04-01-2009, 04:35 PM
YBF

1,260 posts, read 3,358,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reelist in Atlanta View Post
I don't understand what difference it makes. What is a black mecca? How does Atlanta being a black mecca help black people? If I'm black, why would it be better for me to move to Atlanta instead of moving to Dallas or any other city. How would I be better off?

- Reel
OMG skimming thru the post I was thinking the same thing!!!!! LMAO

Old 04-01-2009, 05:00 PM

26 posts, read 72,267 times
Default Black Mecca?

Why can't you live in a place that supports all races? Why do you think it would be better to live in a place that is mostly made up of your race? The crime is much higher in these areas. Sorry, but it is a fact. Check out the crime in Atlanta.

Old 04-01-2009, 07:48 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,304,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterNY View Post
Nothing will top Miami as the Hispanic Mecca, if you want to use that term . While the number of Hispanics is high in other major metro areas like NYC, LA, Chicago, DFW, Miami seemingly has the upper hand on the amount of successful latino business owners, professionals, organizations, etc.

I know many that do not adjust well in places like Atlanta, Charlotte, etc. I'm not speaking for all, but a good amount that I know do not like these Southern cities. Miami although geographically south of GA, SC and NC, does not reflect many of the Southern "values" (if you want to call it that) that the three states mentioned do.

-What Atlanta seems to be for Blacks in terms of success and network, Miami is the same for Latinos/Hispanics.
Yea, I guess I got happy. But Old Charlotte is moving away or dying off (not to sound mean, my condolences to the lost) and a "New Charlotte" mentatlity is taking over. It may take some years but the demographics of this city will change.

Old 04-01-2009, 07:51 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,304,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgia woman View Post
Why can't you live in a place that supports all races? Why do you think it would be better to live in a place that is mostly made up of your race? The crime is much higher in these areas. Sorry, but it is a fact. Check out the crime in Atlanta.
I find this post interesting how it is better to live in a place of all races, but it seems that there is an insinuation that crime has a color. I fully understand that is not what you meant but re-read your post and try to understand why that might offend someone.

This discussion is not about moving to a "pro-black" place but to a place that is culturally, economically uplifting Black people. This is not saying anything about other races, but just putting Blacks under a microscope to see what city is good for them.

I hope I have made this thread clearer for you without offending you in doing so.

Old 06-06-2009, 03:37 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,794,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhoffman View Post
LOL at the black population in atlanta shrinking. i don't know about you guys but atlanta is easily the blackest place i've ever been. i mean we're talking about a city that a good portion of it resembles sub-saharan africa. i've seen cities like oakland, ca and LA that have really lost their black populations to immigrants and gentrification. atlanta is nowhere near that, it's still filled with crime ridden third-world esque enclaves that even gentrifiers won't touch with a ten foot pole, it's not shrinking and won't anytime soon.
Most parts of Atlanta have been through gentrification process(at least before the recession).The Black population is getting smaller(and fast):
Quote:
Atlanta is also seeing a unique and drastic demographic increase in its white population, and at a pace that outstrips the rest of the nation. The white share of the city's population, says Brookings Institution, grew faster between 2000 and 2006 than that of any other U.S. city. It increased from 31 percent in 2000 to 35 percent in 2006, a numeric gain of 26,000, more than double the increase between 1990 and 2000. The trend seems to be gathering strength with each passing year. Only Washington, D.C. saw a comparable increase in white population share during those years.
Wikapedia

Old 07-03-2009, 05:02 PM

13 posts, read 54,055 times
There are many "Black Mecca's" in the United States. One that I am definitely aware of is Prince George's County, MD, where I reside. It is located east of Washington, DC. It is a wonderful place to live, despite the media's two-sense. It has many successful black leaders of the county and within the county. Many homes range from 200K+ over $1 Million. There is wealth of knowledge and wealth of development occuring. The school system is making progress in the right direction and the county as a whole. Prince George's County has many black-owned businesses including hotels, bus companies, restaurants, etc. Prince George's County has an average household income over $65,000. Some unique places in the county, you may want to google include National Harbor, University Town Center, Charles Herbert Flowers High School, Dr. Henry A. Wise High School, Bowie Town Center, University of Maryland College Park, Woodmore and Oak Creek(gated-communities), Beechtree, Lake Arbor, Cheverly, and Tantallon. There are also many African-Americans who reside in Prince George's County, who have incomes well over $200K. All in all, Prince George's County is touted as the wealthiest African-American County in America (featured in EBONY November 2006 issue) and is a wonderful place to live.

Old 07-04-2009, 02:33 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
There are two different worlds in PG County. One inside the beltway and outside the beltway. If you go inside the beltway, you would find it hard to believe that PG has the reputation as the most affluent county for African Americans in the nation. But if you go outside the beltway, then you will understand why it has this designation. You have some upper class African American neighborhoods out here. Since the COL is so high and the salaries are so high, it should not be a surprise why PG County is what it is.

Houston and Dallas. Well. First Dallas has just passed 900,000 blacks in the metro. However, Houston just passed the 1 million mark and more blacks are moving to Houston than they are moving to Dallas. Nothing against Dallas. But I feel Houston is more "us" than Dallas. Or I should say the AA vibe is stronger in Houston than it is in Dallas.

Old 07-04-2009, 02:57 PM

1,303 posts, read 3,856,409 times
Atlanta is no more a black mecca than any other major US city its size.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta