Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2020, 01:58 AM

9,818 posts, read 7,923,077 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoNgFooCj View Post
Black people will never lose Philadelphia, that's for sure. That's the only city I can think of where there is no large scale gentrification and where the black population is stable.

Philly is not only the 6th largest US city (5th until 2017), it has the highest percentage of black people of the 27 largest cities. That's pretty dang significant.

Blacks are the most dominant race in Philadelphia at 43% of the population (and stable/possibly increasing). Non Hispanic Whites make up the 2nd largest group, at 32% (and falling).

Philly's total Black population is also the 3rd largest in the US at approximately 690,000. New York City, with a declining Black population of around 1,800,000 is 1st. Chicago's rapidly declining Black population of approximately 740,000 will likely be surpassed by Philly's by 2025. The city of Atlanta for comparison, has approximately 250,000 Black residents.

Philly has also had the same number of Black mayors as Chicago (since Chicago Mayor Lori Lightfoot's 2019 election), and has just elected it's first Black Female police commissioner.

Philly also benefits from its strategic and desirable location on the Northeast corridor, roughly halfway between New York City and Washington DC.

Phillys main problems are it's poverty and crime. The city has the highest poverty rate of at least the 10 largest cities at 24%. Compare that to Chicago, which has a poverty rate of 18%. When looking at a demographic map, Philly is clearly less segregated than Chicago, but it is nonetheless quite segregated.

Philly had the 2nd highest number of murders in 2019, 356. Compare this with Chicago, which had 490 murders in the same timeframe, but with a significantly lower per capita rate. Although, since both cities have an increasingly similar Black population, Chicago's lower homicide per capita rate could be attributed to the fact that Chicago has a much higher White population than Philadelphia, both by number and percentage.

Lastly, I think Philly's location just 90 miles from New York City will make the easy De Facto Black big city, especially since New York City itself is pretty much off limits as far as ever being majority dominated by Blacks goes. Atlanta through this, will most likely keep its designation as the De Facto Black capital. But as far as big cities go, Philly has it beat by about 1.1 million people.
First of all, you are quoting someone that hasn't posted in years. I'm not totally sure, but I don't think they are even a member any longer. Secondly, are you really seriously comparing Atlanta with Philly and Chicago when it comes to numbers? We may be the Black Mecca, but within the City itself we are a minuscule baby compared to Philly when it comes to age and both when it comes to size.

Let's keep it real, please. We know our stature and our place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2020, 09:52 AM

651 posts, read 475,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
First of all, you are quoting someone that hasn't posted in years. I'm not totally sure, but I don't think they are even a member any longer. Secondly, are you really seriously comparing Atlanta with Philly and Chicago when it comes to numbers? We may be the Black Mecca, but within the City itself we are a minuscule baby compared to Philly when it comes to age and both when it comes to size.

Let's keep it real, please. We know our stature and our place.

You must have replied to the above poster when you were high/drunk because they didn't do any of what you said. His post pretty much boost Philly as the black mecca.

Old 01-23-2020, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otakumaster View Post

You must have replied to the above poster when you were high/drunk because they didn't do any of what you said. His post pretty much boost Philly as the black mecca.

I don't appreciate this AT ALL, you need to check yourself. And reread his post, reading comprehension matters.

Old 01-23-2020, 11:18 AM

4,757 posts, read 3,364,009 times
Quote:

Which is probably the reason why JMATL's post went ignored until about 45 minutes ago. Not worth wasting your time.

Old 01-23-2020, 12:33 PM

Quote:
I don't appreciate this AT ALL, you need to check yourself. And reread his post, reading comprehension matters.

Naw, man I am starting to think you quoted the wrong post because dude never directly compared ATL to Philly in the one you quoted.

You looking wild right now getting mad at this.

Old 01-23-2020, 01:08 PM

Quote:

Naw, man I am starting to think you quoted the wrong post because dude never directly compared ATL to Philly in the one you quoted.

You looking wild right now getting mad at this.

I don't appreciate being accused of posting while drunk or high, that's libelous. Don't do it again.

Old 01-23-2020, 02:34 PM

Quote:
I don't appreciate being accused of posting while drunk or high, that's libelous. Don't do it again.
Ok, so you rather I accuse you of not knowing how to read then, because at least if you were "libelous" you would have an alibi?

You acting real tough over this.

Old 01-23-2020, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Ok, so you rather I accuse you of not knowing how to read then, because at least if you were "libelous" you would have an alibi?

You acting real tough over this.

Again, reread what he wrote. He insinuated that Atlanta was losing its Mecca title, but that could never happen in Philly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta