Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2009, 10:24 AM

7 posts, read 26,567 times

Advertisements

My family and I are thinking of relocating to the Atlanta area. We have three young children so good schools are a must. Both my wife and I like outdoor recreation: mountain biking, water skiing hiking, camping. We are looking for homes in the 300k to 500k range. Commuting is not an issue but schools, shopping, recreation and lifestyle are. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Help sell my wife and me on Atlanta.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2009, 03:39 PM

1,501 posts, read 5,102,565 times
There are lots of outdoor activites north of Atlanta. You are about 1 hour and 15 minutes from the start of the AT, along with about 500,000 acres of national forest with many great trails such as the Benton McKaye and Bartram trails. Many areas for biking. There is actually a great mountain biking trail is Hall County, right behind Gainesville College. You are also about 2 to 2.5 hours from the Smokies, along with many acres of national forest in Western NC and Eastern TN. There are also many great car camping areas within about 1 to 1.5 hours (at least from where I live in Suwanee) scattered throughout the national forest. There are also some nice campgrounds around Lake Lanier if you just want a quick getaway - literally minutes from Johns Creek.

Old 01-05-2009, 12:44 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,880,495 times
There's a neat store called the Love Shack in John's Creek that they seem really proud of there. Oh no... wait... never mind.

However, you do have alternatives...

North of that area of the City, you can drive to the small artsy/craftsy down of "Dahlonega". A really neat place with lots of galleries and shops. Just NE of there is the town of "Helen" which is (very loosely) themed after a German Bavarian village. North on GA400 are the outlet mall shops, and North on I-85 is the Mall of Georgia (largest mall in the region).

Old 01-05-2009, 03:37 PM

997 posts, read 4,644,586 times
We just moved to Johns Creek this summer. We love it so far. We have three children. We have never not had anything to do. We haven't even gone into Atlanta that much. I'm sure when we do, we will love it here even more.

The kids and their activities take up most our time but besides that there are lots of parks, the autry mill nature center and the chatahoochee river for recreation. There is the greenway and the coolor for ice skating in alpharetta. There is also the chatahoochee nature center in Roswell.

There is plenty of shopping at North Point in Alpharetta or The Forum in Norcross. 141/Medlock Bridge Road has plenty of everyday shopping.

Most of all of the neighborhoods in Johns Creek are family friendly with activities. Schools are all good. I am very happy and impressed with our districted schools so far. Our neighborhood is Seven Oaks which is in your price range. Some are more but you will have a great deal to choose from in your price range.

Good luck.

Old 01-05-2009, 06:24 PM

26 posts, read 92,860 times
Don't know about selling you on Atlanta - we have plenty of people already. Johns Creek is virtually all families, with lots of family-oriented activities available as well as the options that other posters have mentioned. It is very safe here. If you say hi, people will say hi back. My neighbors are very nice. As far as lifestyle, people in Johns Creek tend to be image conscious and want you to think that they just wallow in money. Some do. But I think many are just way overextended just so they can maintain this image, which is important to them. This image consciousness will vary by neighborhood, but the more expensive the real estate, the more prevalent it is. Kind of like the "OC" of Atlanta. Could be worse.

Old 01-06-2009, 06:51 AM

Thanks for all of the information. I am thinking of taking my wife out to Johns Creek next month for a visit. Any recommendations for points of interest and places to visit to get a good feel of the area?

Old 01-06-2009, 11:18 AM

2,218 posts, read 4,370,988 times
I'm going to be negative. I agree with all the positive things said so far about Johns Creek. But it's not all wines and roses.

There's lots of traffic. I mean LOTS of traffic. Sometimes it can take me 15 minutes or more to drive the 2 miles to the grocery store. Many of the more interesting restaurants have closed or moved away (such as Merlot, Giovannis, Ippolitos, Fuego, Village Tavern, and even Macaroni Grill). The schools are overcrowded although the new high school may improve the situation a bit. Johns Creek is NEAR many things but it actually HAS very few things. It is near many of the amenities provided by Alpharetta, Roswell, Suwanee and Duluth. But only three parks are actually in Johns Creek, and one of them is only in the city because of a "creative" drawing of the boundary with Alpharetta. Many folks here are very image conscious. There are quite a few ritzy gated neighborhoods (such as Country Club of the South and St Ives). Lots of folks who can't afford to live in one of those places like to pretend that they do. My child, who attends Northview, has seen lots of this snooty attitude in the classmates.

Becoming a city has helped improve things. Roads were paved, traffic lights put in, better police and fire coverage. There are plans to create a greenway along the 141 corridor, with eventual bike paths to other places. But lots of that isn't here yet. If you're looking for a home-town feel where you can walk and bike to stuff, or which has a clearly defined central "downtown", you won't find it here. At least not yet.

Old 01-06-2009, 11:36 AM

1,501 posts, read 5,102,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billl View Post
I'm going to be negative. I agree with all the positive things said so far about Johns Creek. But it's not all wines and roses.

Becoming a city has helped improve things. Roads were paved, traffic lights put in, better police and fire coverage. There are plans to create a greenway along the 141 corridor, with eventual bike paths to other places. But lots of that isn't here yet. If you're looking for a home-town feel where you can walk and bike to stuff, or which has a clearly defined central "downtown", you won't find it here. At least not yet.
Yeah, Johns Creek is definately a nondescript, if affluent, suburb. There is really nothing to distinguish it from Alpharetta, Roswell, or South Forsyth.

Old 01-07-2009, 10:01 AM

Would Alpharetta, East Cobb, or Milton be a better alternative to the negatives you mentioned?

Old 01-07-2009, 01:09 PM

26 posts, read 92,860 times
Very similar. Homes in Milton tend to have acreage - very pretty and pricey but very inconvenient to the city. All have reputation for good public schools.I am partial to Sandy Springs, especially inside 285, and adjacent Dunwoody. Older, more established neighborhoods that are still predominately families but also well-represented by couples and singles. Bit more savvy and sophisticated crowd. Your kids won't grow up thinking all women over 30 are soccer moms, drive SUV's, and wear baseball caps. Nice selection of restaurants, and good book stores (they actually have to throw out People and Self magazines and yes, Ken Follett has written more than 2 books). Also convenient to Buckhead, Midtown, Downtown, and the airport.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta