Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2007, 08:52 PM

17 posts, read 64,675 times

Advertisements

Hello,

Moving to Dekalb County by the summer. Will be applying to nursing school and husband will be working in Forest Park. We have 3 boys under the age of 8. We would like to rent first in the area in which we will eventually settle into. Obviously, we would like to be able to afford the area as well ... ideally homes under $330K. Looking at Henderson and Chamblee middle schools right now. Any opinions or recommendations on these areas and schools? Need low taxes, low crime and great schools, community feel and activities for kids. Sports, aquatics, parks, shopping, and restaurants within a 15 to 30 minute walk. Good commute to nursing school, hospitals, and travel to Forest Park. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2007, 05:10 AM

3,972 posts, read 12,659,327 times
I would love to hear your reasons for limiting your search to DeKalb. Forest Park is nearly 30 milies or more from most of Chamblee and the commute woiuld be horrible. However, he could maybe take marta via train and bus -- but the commute would be long.

Let me know, two things --first -- why DeKalb? Two, your expectations for both the type of rental you will find and type of house you would like to buy.

Old 03-07-2007, 08:10 AM

Arrow Why North Decatur?

Hi,

Well, so far for on paper, and from the 1 time we visited this appears to be the area that would meet most of our needs.

In addition, my mom is retiring and will be coming to live with us within 2-3 years and she must have access to public transportation and have access to things within walking distance (she is a New Yorker). She will be helping with the kids while I am in nursing school.

Type of rental - traditional 3/2 house comfortable for kids. The location of the rental is important because we do not want to transfer the kids to another school when we buy a house. Type of home purchase - traditional, under $350K, with in-law suite or room to build one, in area as described in my post.

Based on our needs is there another area that you think we should research? I would appreciate your input.

Old 03-07-2007, 11:36 AM

I am not going to be much help. I am a DeKalb county public school parent and I think that the school system as a whole is in pretty bad shape -- and has yet to hit rock bottom. I think there are good and excellent schools in DeKalb, but the question is, how long is it sustainable.

Second, if you go to harry norman dot com and do home search by schools (search in the Lakeside High and Chamblee High areas) you can see what kind of choices you have in your price range -- today. Both these areas are appreciating rather rapidly. (By the way, Chamblee Middle is in Chamblee which is not N. Decatur)

Great schools -- Lakeside High is often regarded as one of the best schools in the state -- but the building is falling apart and there is no plan to renovate. Many parents have pulled or are pulling their children out of the school. Chamblee High houses a well respected magnet program, but the rest of the school is questionable. The school system has proposed some restructuring in the Chamblee area -- right now there are 4 elementary schools, there may soon be 3. I will PM you information about elementary schools.

DeKalb's taxes are not the lowest -- but depending on where you are from, they may seem low enough to you. Fulton and DeKalb pay the bulk of the bill for Grady and MARTA.

Atlanta is not a real walkable city -- the parts that are are generally not family friendly. The city of Decatur may be a good choice for you -- though the housing prices/sizes may not work for your budget/needs.

I hope others can provide some MARTA friendly alternatives. (Maybe the Grady High School Cluster -- Mary Lin Elementary specifically?)

Old 03-07-2007, 01:24 PM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,291,367 times
Mary Lin is in Candler Park. Houses over there are either expensive, or in need of MAJOR work. I think the prices around there range from the mid-300s to the mid-500s for 3 bedroom bungalows.

Candler Park would be a nice place to live if you can afford it. I rented there for a few years in what is now a run down complex at North and Euclid Aves. In addition to the Candler Park shops, you can easily walk to Little Five Points or Va.-Highland.

I'd live there if I had the money.

Old 03-07-2007, 03:21 PM

Dear Lastminutemom,

I would really love to get first hand information from a Dekalb public school parent. EXCELLENT PUBLIC EDUCATION is at the top of your list. Our kids need a challenging and caring environment.

We need to be close to city amenities (already mentioned commute to Forest Park, airport, cultural, diversity, recreation, restaurants and shopping). We have got to be able to walk out of the house and actually be able to get some where on foot.

We are originally from Queens, NY and have been in FL for 4 years (again due to my husband's work).

I did research East Cobb, Roswell and Lawrenceville. While they meet most of our needs the locations fail in terms of commute to Forest Park and travel to nursing school for me.

If you could do it over again where would you settle into?

Old 03-07-2007, 06:02 PM

That is a tough question-- probably East Cobb, if commute was not an issue -- frankly, maybe even if it was. One of the challenges of DeKalb is that the system as a whole is educating mostly poor children, about 64% last year, but doing it without all the financial resources of say the City of Atlanta schools.

I hate to sound as if I am bashing DeKalb county -- my children have done very well here -- but it has come with a lot of work on our part.

Have you considered Peachtree City in Fayette County -- while not a real urban area, I believe that most of what you are looking for is there.

I am curious -- do you have all you are looking for in Florida? If not, what have you sacrificed... and how do you feel about it?

Old 03-07-2007, 07:18 PM

Default Peachtree City

I did look into Peachtree City - I think it lacks many of the city/urban amenities. If North Decatur does not work out, we will consider Peachtree City or go back to our original plan of East Cobb or Roswell.

I live in Port St. Lucie, FL and at the moment it does not offer the things I need. It is growing, it will offer more of the things I need within 5-10 years.

Last edited by PreserviceNurseMomof3; 03-07-2007 at 07:37 PM..

Old 03-07-2007, 09:05 PM

563 posts, read 2,773,625 times
The commute from N. Decatur to Forest Park is going to be a slow death, to be honest. Have you considered looking at some intown communities--possibly the Grady or N. Atlanta high school feeder patterns? I think everything you are looking for will be found intown.

Old 03-08-2007, 07:20 AM

Question City of Decatur? Excellent Schools?

It is the Location that keeps pulling me back to North Decatur.

I really do not think Peachtree City is for me, I think it would be to much like where I live now (Port St. Lucie, FL) - very nice but too far from the center of the city for me. I would like to be able to go out to a show and dinner with my husband like we used to do when we lived in NY - we could be in NYC in 20 minutes on the weekend.

City of Decatur - I have not looked into this area at all. I am going to look at housing, schools, recreation for kids (we will need little league baseball) and crime there. Home prices in Grady and North Atlanta might be out of my reach - I will eventually need room for my mom.

If not one of the following places, is there any other place besides City of Decatur that I should consider?

Too Far:
East Cobb
Roswell
Alpharetta
Duluth

Did not like:
Gwinnett (my husband and I did not like Gwinnett)

I do not think this is for me:
Peachtree City
Douglasville

$$$
Grady & North Atlanta
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta