Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2009, 07:16 PM

2 posts, read 4,186 times

Advertisements

Hey everybody, I've lived in ATL for most of my life, but mostly in Roswell/Sandy Springs area... (went to school at Tech).

My fiance and I were shown a very nice town home in Marietta today, and we both thought it was amazing. The community/neighborhood it is located in is gated, and looked VERY well maintained.

I'm just not SURE about the area. The community is located off of Powder Springs road, between the Marietta City club golf course and County Services Parkway... maybe about 3+ miles from MacLand Rd. and 1.5 or 2 miles from the S Marietta Parkway.

Now, I know a bad area when I see it, (when at school, I used to park my car on Techwood Ave downtown, before it became Centenial Olympic parkway...), so I'm not asking is this area "safe". I just want to know, is there anything that we should be aware of??? I know Marietta is trying their best to "revitalize" the area, but with the economy the way it is, where does all of that stand?

We live off Powers Ferry right now, in a 2 bedroom apt right by windy hill... I get the impression that if we were to move to the town home, we would essentially be in the same sort of "enviroment"... am I wrong?

Please, any help... insight... tips... etc etc etc... would be so greatly appreciated.

Thanks y'all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2009, 08:44 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,889,276 times
The area where the townhouse is in is nearly predominately Hispanic (somewhat illegal in nature), with pockets of "old timer" residents who have been in the area for decades. It's not really considered a "really bad" area regarding crime, but it's also not exactly one of the areas where people go, "Oh, wow, let's look over there for a place!", either. It looks a lot worse than it is, but again, it's not exactly Xanadu, either.

Yes, City and County leaders are trying to clean up that general area. They are in the beginning stages of offering special tax breaks to developers to entice them to come into several run-down areas around Cobb to try to revitalize those areas - but that might take a while due to the economy. That area might stay the way it is for a long time, or, if the economy has a quick upswing under the new administration in Washington, poof - you might have bought a place that's on a future gold mine.

Also keep in mind that with recession, the biggest industry that's been hit is the home building industry, where many illegals find jobs. The word is that in some areas, nearly half of the illegals have already packed up and left, or are in the stages of doing so. So if by code word "environment" that's what you meant and you were trying to be politically correct (I'm not), then that may answer something.

Would I buy a place in that area? Well, probably not. I play it safe and typically don't wait for an "up and coming" place to up-and-come. I wait until it's already there. LOL

P.S. You might find this web site interesting - it highlights developments going on in the Marietta area: http://www.move2marietta.com/

P.S.S... moving this thread to the Atlanta room, since Marietta is a suburb of Atlanta and you'll get more replies that way.

Last edited by atlantagreg30127; 01-12-2009 at 09:04 AM..

Old 01-12-2009, 08:20 AM

115 posts, read 424,221 times
I used to live in that area, and it has definitely gone downhill. Also, I don't know where you work, but if you work in the city, commuting from that area is a nightmare. It used to take me an hour during rush hour.

Old 01-13-2009, 09:07 AM

2 posts, read 4,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeegirl73 View Post
I used to live in that area, and it has definitely gone downhill. Also, I don't know where you work, but if you work in the city, commuting from that area is a nightmare. It used to take me an hour during rush hour.
Thanks for the help y'all... anybody else with some insight?

Old 01-13-2009, 08:48 PM

51 posts, read 127,594 times
dont do it, from garrison road all the way pass county services road, its full of illegals they walk up and down that road with strollers, urinate on powder springs road in broad daylight cobb police are in a constant battle running them off the streets its a mess

Old 01-19-2009, 07:31 PM

14 posts, read 35,424 times
My wife and I ALMOST bought in that same area three years ago. I think that it is a safe area, but if you keep searching, you will find just what you are looking for in a more favorable area. What is your price range??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta