Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 12:50 PM

248 posts, read 648,999 times

Advertisements

I suspect that with the lights off people will drive a little more carefully on the highway and that accidents might actually decrease at night. I have no data to support that theory, but I do have experience going to visit my brother in north Acworth and taking 75 south back home in the dark. There are some wide-ish parts of the highway up there that are totally unlit and you have to rely on the reflectors on the lane borders and good judgment to get by.

It's at least possible that drivers on well-lit highways at night feel free to drop their guard and drive a little faster because they feel more at ease with the lights on. Maybe cutting out the lights would keep night drivers on their best behavior.

And I'm fully aware that I'm prone to overestimating people's good natures, by the way
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2009, 12:58 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,885,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reet4587 View Post
I suspect that with the lights off people will drive a little more carefully on the highway and that accidents might actually decrease at night.

And I'm fully aware that I'm prone to overestimating people's good natures, by the way
It's my experience that when there's no light, and it's raining or with ice on the road, and people are surrounded by others, is when they all tend to start talking on their cell phones while eating a bowl a cereal, smoke, and look for their tax forms under their dash - all while driving 25mph over the speed limit, 3 feet behind the car in front of them.

Call me nutty, but I'm in favor of chips in cars that regulate distance between cars, speed, etc. I think having fewer lights won't do much to deter local drivers from being as wreckless as they already are - though it might slow down out of town drivers who are passing through who are unfamiliar with the roads.

Old 01-13-2009, 01:11 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,086,242 times
I remember visiting Atlanta back in early 1994, and it seems to be there was some sort of skirmish over street lights back then. If I remember right, I-285 and many other freeways in the metro were essentially unlit at night while we were here, and that made a very bad impression.

I'd never heard of such a thing before. Why does Atlanta seem prone to this more than other areas of the country? Or has this happened in other places and I'm just a sheltered midwesterner?

Old 01-13-2009, 03:01 PM

42 posts, read 113,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
Personally I would like to see a law in place on a Federal level that would forbid Cities from cutting certain things in order to balance a budget and/or save money. Such as, NO police officers or fire personnel could be laid off, no safety lighting in key road areas can be shut off, no reduction of staffing for 911 call centers, etc. If cities want to save money, they can cut the paychecks of the City leaders, and cut expense accounts and City employee credit cards, cell phones, and car use. Leave the police, fire, and lighting alone.
You have to be joking. That would be blatantly unconstitutional.

Old 01-13-2009, 04:00 PM

1,104 posts, read 1,522,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
I remember visiting Atlanta back in early 1994, and it seems to be there was some sort of skirmish over street lights back then. If I remember right, I-285 and many other freeways in the metro were essentially unlit at night while we were here, and that made a very bad impression.

I'd never heard of such a thing before. Why does Atlanta seem prone to this more than other areas of the country? Or has this happened in other places and I'm just a sheltered midwesterner?
Nope I agree 295 is for the Atlanta Metro to use, It should be lit. I have never seen this before, until I moved here. it is very strange.

Old 01-13-2009, 05:25 PM

561 posts, read 781,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blondandfun View Post
I don't think the stretch of I-85 up around N. Druid hills has good lighting at all, and there are almost as many lanes there. SO, I don't think it's a requirement.
Correct. There is absolutely NO lighting on 85 from the GA-400 interchange until you get to 285.

Old 01-14-2009, 09:11 AM

4,586 posts, read 7,710,432 times
I guess you guys have never driven on the east side. 20 is pitch black once you leave the ATL city limits. Its sucks especially when its raining how dark the highway is but once you hit the city limits, its bright as hell...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta