Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 12:09 AM

1,303 posts, read 2,094,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel713 View Post
"Atlanta is a big, slimy, crime-infested city, and we don't want to be included with those people"

So yeah, the usual.

Buckhead is in the City andits more ritzy than vinnings and crime is going to come to Cobb regardless if there is annexation or not and there are crime infested people in Cobb
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2009, 06:10 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,955,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy Springs Rep. View Post
Hahaha is that an actual quote from somewhere or did you use that as an example?
My example. I think this is why Sandy Springs fought so hard and is its own city now (though are now feeling the economic struggle hard).

Old 01-16-2009, 07:10 AM

1,501 posts, read 5,103,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
It gets a little interesting in GA since, IIRC, city boundaries cannot cross county lines. Sounds like somebody would have some "'splainin'" to do!

Any way, talk about building a wall around some place!
Buford crosses county lines, with a small portion within Hall County.

Old 01-16-2009, 07:45 AM

989 posts, read 1,742,818 times
Well, if Atlanta residents become more diverse and the black population starts to decline, it will be a different group of people than you suspect clamoring for the annexation of Vinings, North Druid Hills, Brookhaven, etc. Then you would have the old leadership of Atlanta pushing for the annexation of the South Fulton. I honestly think this race/class warfare would end up making Atlanta a better place in the long term. The City and it’s politics, I swear I love this place.

Old 01-16-2009, 09:09 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,552,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioNative View Post
Buford crosses county lines, with a small portion within Hall County.
Well, if I'm going to get older, I might as well get smarter!

I still wonder if there is now something on the books to prevent crossing county lines for annexation purposes...I'm guessing the city boundaries of Buford, Loganville and (East) Atlanta were established many years ago.

I often heard folks refer to the part of 'Roswell' that extended into Cobb County but I'm guessing that 'Roswell' in that case was for address/post office purposes and not the actual city limits.

Also, back when Roswell was annexing Horseshoe Bend and other areas to the east, the county lines were often cited as the stopping point, with no possibility of crossing into 'Norcross' or 'Dunwoody'. Oh, well, live and learn.

Hey, y'all stay warm over there!!!

Old 01-16-2009, 10:04 AM

1,498 posts, read 3,107,871 times
Actually, state law says that cities can annex across county lines, but it must be approved by the largest city in the county that is being annexed.

Atlanta tried to annex lower East Cobb many years ago, which is why Chattahoochee Plantation was created, to block the annexation measure.

Old 01-16-2009, 10:09 AM

1,755 posts, read 5,681,860 times
Quote:
The bigger question would be:

Why in the world would Vinings residents want to be part of Atlanta? What could they gain?
Higher taxes and less services

Old 01-16-2009, 10:15 AM

16,701 posts, read 29,526,453 times
Quote:
Well, if I'm going to get older, I might as well get smarter!

I still wonder if there is now something on the books to prevent crossing county lines for annexation purposes...I'm guessing the city boundaries of Buford, Loganville and (East) Atlanta were established many years ago.

I often heard folks refer to the part of 'Roswell' that extended into Cobb County but I'm guessing that 'Roswell' in that case was for address/post office purposes and not the actual city limits.

Also, back when Roswell was annexing Horseshoe Bend and other areas to the east, the county lines were often cited as the stopping point, with no possibility of crossing into 'Norcross' or 'Dunwoody'. Oh, well, live and learn.

Hey, y'all stay warm over there!!!

The Roswell part of Cobb is just post office/address.

Also (fo' yo' info'), until the early 1930's, Roswell was a part of Cobb County (it was ceded to Fulton when Fulton annexed Milton County in order to make the connection more contiguous).

Old 01-16-2009, 11:28 AM

256 posts, read 750,175 times
I just don't understand why cities like Houston, San Antonio, Charlotte, etc. can annex land but not Atlanta. Whether residents of Vinings want it or not, it makes perfect sense and needs to be done for the prosperity of the city.

Sandy Springs and Dunwoody are different. They are actual suburbs, aside from Perimeter Center in the very south part of the area. Vinings is actually in-town.

Old 01-16-2009, 11:31 AM

5,110 posts, read 7,140,512 times
Different states have different laws and it also depends on whether or not there was a there "there" when the land was annexed.

It's easier for a city to annex farmland etc. then an established community.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta