Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 06:39 PM

27 posts, read 94,341 times

Advertisements

I'm in the process of buying a condo in the Buckhead/Midtown area and I had a few questions for people familiar with the area or who have experience with these buildings.

I have seen units in 1280 West, Eclipse, Realm, The Peachtree Residences, Spire, Ovation, Plaza Midtown, and a few others.

My top choice is Spire and I have put offers in on two units in that building. I also put offers in on two units at 1280 West, one unit in Eclipse, and one in Realm. (Thanks to foreclosures dropping these condos into my price range!)

My questions are basically focused on 1280 West. What general information can you provide about this building? The prices were lower in this building and the realtor didn't present 1280 West to me until I looked at some listings online. Was there a reason for this? As far as I can tell (and I've only been here for a week and a half) 1280 West has a location convenient to Midtown, Buckhead, Atlantic Station, and I-75. I work in Marietta so a condo with easy access to 75 is a plus. Also, the views from the two units in 1280 (one on the 16th floor and one on the 30th floor) were some of the best I've seen. The whole Buckhead skyline was in plain sight with no obstructions. What am I missing? Is security lacking in this building. I recently read a couple of reviews on the building and the main complaints were thin walls and neighbors playing loud music. Any information you can give me is very appreciated.

My other question is if an offer is accepted for one of the units in Spire, I'll be moving in there as it was my favorite building of all the high rises. I'm just wondering as a young, single male if I were to say "I live in Midtown" is it generally assumed that I'm gay? I know Midtown has a larger gay population and I have nothing against that, but at the same time I don't want to be "clumped" in that category just because of my building's location.

And my last question (I promise) is if any one has any idea when the Streets of Buckhead is scheduled to be complete? Any rough estimate is ok because I know how construction can get pushed back, especially with the economy like it is. I ask because the unit in Eclipse had a view overlooking the site.

Sorry for the long first post. Again, any and all information that would help me is very appreciated!

Cliffnotes:

Thoughts on 1280 West?
Is Midtown simply known to the general Atlanta public as a gay area?
Streets of Buckhead completion date?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2009, 06:43 PM

oh and I'm a 22 year old bachelor for what it's worth...

Old 02-09-2009, 06:44 PM

23,463 posts, read 44,090,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by From239to404 View Post
I'm in the process of buying a condo in the Buckhead/Midtown area and I had a few questions for people familiar with the area or who have experience with these buildings.

I have seen units in 1280 West, Eclipse, Realm, The Peachtree Residences, Spire, Ovation, Plaza Midtown, and a few others.

My top choice is Spire and I have put offers in on two units in that building. I also put offers in on two units at 1280 West, one unit in Eclipse, and one in Realm. (Thanks to foreclosures dropping these condos into my price range!)

My questions are basically focused on 1280 West. What general information can you provide about this building? The prices were lower in this building and the realtor didn't present 1280 West to me until I looked at some listings online. Was there a reason for this? As far as I can tell (and I've only been here for a week and a half) 1280 West has a location convenient to Midtown, Buckhead, Atlantic Station, and I-75. I work in Marietta so a condo with easy access to 75 is a plus. Also, the views from the two units in 1280 (one on the 16th floor and one on the 30th floor) were some of the best I've seen. The whole Buckhead skyline was in plain sight with no obstructions. What am I missing? Is security lacking in this building. I recently read a couple of reviews on the building and the main complaints were thin walls and neighbors playing loud music. Any information you can give me is very appreciated.

My other question is if an offer is accepted for one of the units in Spire, I'll be moving in there as it was my favorite building of all the high rises. I'm just wondering as a young, single male if I were to say "I live in Midtown" is it generally assumed that I'm gay? I know Midtown has a larger gay population and I have nothing against that, but at the same time I don't want to be "clumped" in that category just because of my building's location.

And my last question (I promise) is if any one has any idea when the Streets of Buckhead is scheduled to be complete? Any rough estimate is ok because I know how construction can get pushed back, especially with the economy like it is. I ask because the unit in Eclipse had a view overlooking the site.

Sorry for the long first post. Again, any and all information that would help me is very appreciated!

Cliffnotes:

Thoughts on 1280 West?
Is Midtown simply known to the general Atlanta public as a gay area?
Streets of Buckhead completion date?
Um, no and no.

Seriously, would you choose not to live somewhere out of a fear of being thought of as gay?

Old 02-09-2009, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Um, no and no.

Seriously, would you choose not to live somewhere out of a fear of being thought of as gay?

No, not at all. I guess I'm just really, really reaching to find something to put under Spire's "cons" list.

And I only asked because when I mentioned I was looking for condos in Midtown at work, the first thing anyone said had to do with the gay element in the area. Not that big a deal to me at all.

Old 02-09-2009, 07:31 PM

23,463 posts, read 44,090,617 times
The whole idea of Midtown being dominated by the gay community is vastly overstated IMO.

Old 02-09-2009, 08:05 PM

128 posts, read 352,940 times
It was until all you straight ppl started moving in! Lol, of course I'm just kidding but Midtown really has diversified as more and more ppl, and therefore types of ppl, invest in the community. Don't get me wrong, it's still the gay capital of the southeast, but its more rowdy heyday went down in the dust with the demo of Backstreet (ATL's most famous gay club). Disappearing clubs coupled with earlier bar closing hours has tamed nightlife. At any rate, don't worry - we don't bite!

Old 02-09-2009, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jurban8 View Post
It was until all you straight ppl started moving in! Lol, of course I'm just kidding but Midtown really has diversified as more and more ppl, and therefore types of ppl, invest in the community. Don't get me wrong, it's still the gay capital of the southeast, but its more rowdy heyday went down in the dust with the demo of Backstreet (ATL's most famous gay club). Disappearing clubs coupled with earlier bar closing hours has tamed nightlife. At any rate, don't worry - we don't bite!
haha ok ok.

thanks.

anything on 1280 west?

Old 02-09-2009, 08:33 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,885,851 times
For the record, I think fears like this come from the old school of Atlanta thinking.

I moved here in 1984, and yes, back then if you lived in Midtown, it was assumed you gay. Head hunters and college placement folks would tell those who were seeking jobs not to have a Midtown address or they would be assumed-gay and risk not getting jobs by what was then still a fairly strong christian-conservative business ownership base within the city. This was told to many I knew in school, and when I once almost found an apartment in Midtown at the time due to location being an A+, the school career councilor told me to "tell people you live in Buckhead". Yes, actually, this really was the thought process THEN.

The thing is, "then" was 1984.

Today, while people who have been here a while are fully aware that Midtown is still Atlanta's "West Hollywood" (of sorts), you are not assumed to be gay if you live there, as folks know there's a variety of people there. Most who have the jobs intown could care less either way in 2009 to be honest. Now, if you lived in Midtown and applied for a job at a church in Temple, Georgia? Ok - worry. Otherwise, don't worry about it.

Old 02-09-2009, 08:38 PM

2,390 posts, read 4,405,317 times
Well ill be real mid town is pretty gay to me. Riding down Piedmont sometimes just too much for me.

Old 02-09-2009, 08:50 PM

128 posts, read 352,940 times
As far as 1280 goes, my partner and I are passing it up in our own condo search. It's really just too far up P'tree for us, as we want to be really close to the park and the heart of the Midtown Mile. These points might not be important to you, as it's otherwise a very convenient location. And the price per sq ft is an attractive point for sure. Are you looking to possibly update a unit/ live with older features?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta