Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 08:23 PM

3,573 posts, read 5,309,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
Can't speak for your co-workers, but this white southern male doesn't like liberalism in the broader ideological realm because it supports bloated big brother government, a welfare state, is anti business, loves to tax and spend, creates a sea of bueracracy that slows down everything it does, is inefficient, imposes PC at the drop of the hat, bashes anything to do with Christianity, taxes, taxes, taxes and more taxes, creates political power structures and a populace dependent on their handouts too unwilling to raise themselves up by their own bootstraps, taxes too much, raise taxes, spends, spends, spends my hardworking money that I see too little of each month because it goes out in taxes, has a snobbery that equates conservative ideals with illiterate and ignorant, loves to tax, loves to control, loves political power, thinks its viewpoint is morally superior....

Those are a few things that I dislike about liberalism. Oh, and did I mention liberalism loves to tax anything and everything?
That's a start. When you say big government, what do you mean? And as far as handouts is concerned, what happens if you get crippled? What happens if you are suddenly afflicted by disease? In absence of this big government what do you supposed will help you? What about our military and our many bases throughout the world? Can that not be considered "Big Government"?

Old 02-24-2009, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt6974a View Post
I'm not the OP but I'll give you my opinion as a Southerner, Catholic at that and not Baptist as most people assume.
Hey, stop insulting us Baptists!

Quote:
I could point out all points, but the biggest one I give my sister-in-law, who's a died hard liberal, is the 'Save a tree, kill a baby' argument.

I'm not saying democrats, there's several deep South White Democrats, they're just more conservative, not liberal democrats.
I just want to know why it is that here in the south, some forms of big government is tolerated(huge military, corporate subsidies, laws benefiting mega-conglomerates) and other forms of big government are to be despised(Medicaid, Medicare, FHA vouchers). I find that duality in the south to be quite hypocritical.

Quote:
The OP had a point, but it's gotten better in these forums over the last year, however in the last couple weeks people have been bringing up the racism threads again. White Christians used to get blasted on here for asking the same questions as Jews, Blacks, Asians, Indians, etc.

Thats why my 'status' says I'm a 'Racist b/c I'm a White, Southern Republican"
I think the OP is playing too fast and loose with the issues as it relates to how we human beings deal with each other. There are a lot of us African Americans who feel like we are being bashed, but our voices are never known, even those of us who are moderates or libertarians.

Old 02-24-2009, 08:33 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,270,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
Can't speak for your co-workers, but this white southern male doesn't like liberalism in the broader ideological realm because it supports bloated big brother government, a welfare state, is anti business, loves to tax and spend, creates a sea of bueracracy that slows down everything it does, is inefficient, imposes PC at the drop of the hat, bashes anything to do with Christianity, taxes, taxes, taxes and more taxes, creates political power structures and a populace dependent on their handouts too unwilling to raise themselves up by their own bootstraps, taxes too much, raise taxes, spends, spends, spends my hardworking money that I see too little of each month because it goes out in taxes, has a snobbery that equates conservative ideals with illiterate and ignorant, loves to tax, loves to control, loves political power, thinks its viewpoint is morally superior....

Those are a few things that I dislike about liberalism. Oh, and did I mention liberalism loves to tax anything and everything?
I think this sums up not only what white southerners feel about liberalism but any American that is scared of what the leftist would like this country to be!

Old 02-24-2009, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suprascooby22 View Post
I think this sums up not only what white southerners feel about liberalism but any American that is scared of what the leftist would like this country to be!
Hardly. That statement from Saintmarks in my opinion barely scratches the surface on this black & white thing. If anything it just seems like an old rehash of what I hear on Neil Boortz, Rush Limbaugh, and FOX news all the time.

I wonder if any of the white people on here are truly ready to put all their cards on the table, and have this all-out discussion on race, warts and all. Or are there deeper truths that are so frightening, that some things are just better left unsaid? Hmm...

Old 02-24-2009, 09:10 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,810,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
Here is a sobering and honest question that I as an African American have always wanted to ask a white person which is what I assume you are:

What is this thing about white people in the south and bashing "liberalism"? I see a lot of white guys that I work with at my place of occupation throw this around so easily. What is it about "liberalism" that get southern whites all up in arms? Please answer this question truthfully and honestly, because I can't get the people at my job to do so.
Now...on the same note, please don't stereotype white people as if we're all the same. I was born in the South, and with the exception of a year in London I've lived here all my life...and I don't fit your stereotype, nor does anyone I associate with, nor do many, many southern white people. We aren't even NEARLY all alike. In addition, I've met many, many black people who are extremely socially conservative...this is not uncommon at all.

Old 02-24-2009, 09:24 PM

340 posts, read 704,455 times
Hey - Scooby -- I think it is "White Bread" - not Bred....and I prefer 'honky' --I don't think that word is used enough, I think it may have died along with George J....anyway - carry on

Old 02-24-2009, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Now...on the same note, please don't stereotype white people as if we're all the same. I was born in the South, and with the exception of a year in London I've lived here all my life...and I don't fit your stereotype, nor does anyone I associate with, nor do many, many southern white people. We aren't even NEARLY all alike. In addition, I've met many, many black people who are extremely socially conservative...this is not uncommon at all.
I'm not trying to stereotype all white people as this way, but the many that I do run across who like myself, are relatively working-class and in the blue collared occupations seem to have these type of views. Some I find swear that President Obama will bring about some Communist revolution, believe it or not!

Granted it's anecdotal, but I can only speak from my experience, perfect or not.

Old 02-24-2009, 10:19 PM

642 posts, read 2,219,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momojojo View Post
I hear you. I know through history blacks have been discriminated against, as have been many different nationalities. But I read an interesting article recently and basically it hit the nail on the head for me anyway... It asked the question where in the world have blacks been treated better than in the US? Is it still our fault that some don't have jobs, etc. When does the blaming of whites for all their problems end? When do they have to take responsibility? There are so many equal opportunity programs, grants, loans, black achievement awards (can you imagine the sh*t storm we'd have if we had WET (like BET)...or white history month. More food for thought.
LOL. You must have forgotten about Miss Black America, or Ebony magazine. Black colleges. Okay now that I'ver added some more items for you go ahead and think about why they came into existence. If you're capable of doing so.

Old 02-24-2009, 10:43 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,402,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suprascooby22 View Post
First off I am a native Atlantan and yes we actually exist for you transplants! I say this because for my entire life I have had to tip-toe around anything racial in this town just because I am a white southerner and I am sick of this double standard. Minorities can ask any sort of racial question whether it is justified or not but yet let a white say it and we are instantly in the Klan. Just look at the post that minorities place on here asking about "why don't blacks live in this part of town?", "will I fit in this white part of town?" or my personal favorite "If I move to Atlanta will I be lynched by racist?" Why can't whites ask similar questions without being labled as a bigot or racist? Why cant I post a question on here asking about where the white parts of town are at or where whites hang out, etc.? Why cant I ask about all white schools? Am I the only one that notices this blatant double standard? I am the only one cares? Just food for thought.
I understand somewhat. I think it's weird, too, but I understand how they feel. Cuz I am black. If I were in my own country, I could live anywhere without fear. As long as I can afford it and I like the area. Sadly, in America, some whites will still beat up and insult blacks who live near them. We are afraid to move someplace where people will make us feel scared or try to hurt us emotionally or give us dirty looks in a store.

If I'm moving, I feel the need to ask this question, too, but only in America. Maybe most white people aren't like this, but most of us blacks don't know that. We have just learned from experience to be careful. I have to say I want to live in a rural area, but I'm AFRAID to do that in America. I went to visit one place and (even though I voted Libertarian) I saw a bunch of whites in pickup trucks and I saw a bunch of Mccain Palin signs and I said "Whoa Nellie!" I liked Sarah Palin, personally, but if the people who supported Mccain were anything like the Bush supporters, I was not living near them. Some people really are hardcore racists and would just vote for the whitest choice. Maybe you're not like that, but I worked with a couple of them before and they are Scary.

Anyway, I thought: "Who's going to find my body all the way out here?!!" I'm sure everybody in that neighborhood had a gun, and even if there are a couple of acres in between us, I want to feel comfortable and safe. Actually even if it weren't that dangerous, I want to be able to go to church or the store and have my neighbors be nice and courteous to me. Not give me dirty looks like I don't have a right to live in my own house.

I have lived in the real country and I like nature and privacy. I also want to be able to compost my food and feminine products (I use cotton ones, but I have to throw them away in my apt.) and hang my clothes outside on the line and run around naked in my yard, but I don't want to have to deal with a bunch of gun-toting n*gress-haters just to be able to do that. I have seen Roots. I also read A Raisin In the Sun and I read the news. So that's why people ask. I think most people understand we're trying to be careful because of the way some racists are, so nobody complains about those types of posts.

Some white people seem to ask "what are the safe areas" Ha ha ha or something. Then people will chime in with the info about what color people live there if that's what the OP really wanted to know.

Old 02-24-2009, 10:44 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
i dont mind the double standard, even in employment and schooling. i do mind the gooning.

i am opposed to any sort of abuse but
especially this (see below) . i am vehemently opposed to slavery, esp 21st century variety.

REGION: Teen forced to pose nude tells court of ordeal : North County Times - Californian 02-24-2009 (http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2009/02/24/news/sandiego/z50f7235475b3c3d88825756600725f30.txt - broken link)

Last edited by Huckleberry3911948; 02-24-2009 at 10:55 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta