Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 07:30 AM

8 posts, read 13,669 times

Advertisements

Hi all ,
We are in the process of moving to USA (GA Atlanta ). HOPEFULLY !!
Currently we run a store in Uk, hopefully by the end of June we should have sold our premises and on our way.
We where thinking of buying into a Cookie franchise company which have been established scince 1970 something.....

First Q: Has anyone actually made this type of move from the UK, Im trying to get am much information on Visa's as possible before I submit by application form and if there any information packs available.

Second Q: Is this something worth doing at the moment, with the way the economy is in the USA. Im scared of loosing everything I have made in the UK, Its like a "one chance only" thang.

Please could someone shed some light on either subjects.

Thanks you .
Sunny
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2009, 07:56 AM

1,748 posts, read 5,526,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyvara View Post
Hi all ,
Currently we run a store in Uk, hopefully by the end of June we should have sold our premises and on our way.
We where thinking of buying into a Cookie franchise company which have been established scince 1970 something.....

First Q: Has anyone actually made this type of move from the UK, Im trying to get am much information on Visa's as possible before I submit by application form and if there any information packs available.

Second Q: Is this something worth doing at the moment, with the way the economy is in the USA. Im scared of loosing everything I have made in the UK, Its like a "one chance only" thang.

Thanks you .
Sunny

Wow I'd be pretty cautious on this one. People here, even the well off are cutting out all extras. I am not sure a cookie would qualify as a necessity. Of course my kids would think otherwise. I'd really really think about it though. With just the little info you've given it seems very risky to me.

Old 03-04-2009, 07:58 AM

21,870 posts, read 15,088,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyvara View Post
Hi all ,

Thanks you .
Sunny
I don't know if this will help, but I will chime in anyway...

I had a client that was moving here from the UK and the immigration attorney that he spoke to stated that there is a Visa that permits you to enter the US if you have at least $50,000US in savings. Supposedly, this is to show that you are capable of taking care of yourself while living here. Keep in mind, this is all third party information. I would contact an immigration attorney to get the exact and professional opinion.

Good luck!

Old 03-04-2009, 08:34 AM

970 posts, read 2,951,516 times
I can give you some information, but first, I would ask a favor.

I have a dying uncle in Namibia who has a huge amount of cash he wants to move into the US, but certain banking laws make it expensive. If you would kindly send me your banking information, such as your account & routing number, and if you would allow us to move the money from his account, through your account into our account, we'll allow you to keep 10% for your troubles. Please consider.

** Moderator edited for gray space because AHEM.. it ALMOST got deleted.

Old 03-04-2009, 08:41 AM

9,191 posts, read 33,889,276 times
Default Cookies? Um - no.

Ok, while I can't comment on the immigration topics, I will chime in on coming here to be part of a cookie franchise.

NOT a good idea.

Cookie stands and kiosks are very common in every single mall here. Are there any that don't have one? And, being realistic, while Americans are indeed fatter than most others in the world, we really ARE trying at least to cut back on stuff like that, so people I know try to avoid this type of stuff now more than ever. I would not consider it a sound investment of life-earned money to go into something like that here.

That being said, if you were to open a freestanding BAKERY in any number of communities here, and you are very good at making breads, pastries, cakes, etc... then that could do very well in the right place. People here like individually owned bakeries (we don't have that many of them here). It will, however, cost more to do such a thing than to do a franchise.

Just my two cents (or shillings, or whatever).

Old 03-04-2009, 08:42 AM

3,972 posts, read 12,662,983 times
I wouldn't do this now... cookies are a want not a need.
If I did it, I wouldn't do it in Atlanta, rather a mid-size to smaller market where there are less stores like this.

Also, keep in mind that some states (Texas) have been less hard hit by the economy than Georgia.

Old 03-04-2009, 08:47 AM

970 posts, read 2,951,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaflsc View Post

I have a dying uncle in Namibia who has a huge amount of cash he wants to move into the US, but certain banking laws make it expensive. If you would kindly send me your banking information, such as your account & routing number, and if you would allow us to move the money from his account, through your account into our account, we'll allow you to keep 10% for your troubles. Please consider.

lol...yes, this was a joke post. I wish I had a rich uncle somewhere.

Old 03-04-2009, 09:09 AM

Im really sorry to hear of your uncle... I know of some brilliant doctors in Namibia who owe me some favors..... I can get you treatment for FREE man.... Yes thats FREE, no charge at all to you.
Please consider MY offer, I promise you if they kill him in the process, Ill take them off my friends list.

deal ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaflsc View Post

Old 03-04-2009, 09:25 AM

Guys,
thank you for all your help on this matter....

The bread thing has put a whole new idea in my head, sound like a interesting idea. I may need to look into this.

thanks again and if anyone can advise on the immigration side, that would really help.

Rgds
Sunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastminutemom View Post
I wouldn't do this now... cookies are a want not a need.
If I did it, I wouldn't do it in Atlanta, rather a mid-size to smaller market where there are less stores like this.

Also, keep in mind that some states (Texas) have been less hard hit by the economy than Georgia.

Old 03-06-2009, 02:45 PM

Hi there mate,
If i was to email you my detail, would there be any chance you could pass it on to your client.
thanks Sunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Chong View Post
I don't know if this will help, but I will chime in anyway...

I had a client that was moving here from the UK and the immigration attorney that he spoke to stated that there is a Visa that permits you to enter the US if you have at least $50,000US in savings. Supposedly, this is to show that you are capable of taking care of yourself while living here. Keep in mind, this is all third party information. I would contact an immigration attorney to get the exact and professional opinion.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta