Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 02:10 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,271,287 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psykomonkee View Post
Yeah, instead of burning crosses, they make nooses and leave them on your doorstep or hang them from pickup trucks and drive past real slow holding a shotgun... These things still happen just in different ways and it gets less publicity because the media's view is if they give it air play, they give it power to spread.
I heard about a few noose things when that march was going on in Jena Louisiana, not sure if any of them happened in Metro Atlanta.

I grew up in Clayton county and saw first hand what was going on in the early 90's when White Flight started. Clayton county is interesting because white flight happened so quickly there that were actually studies and article's written to describe it. There are very few places that go from all white to all black in 10 years the way Clayton did! Just google Clayton county "white flight" to see.

Old 03-09-2009, 02:22 PM

2,061 posts, read 3,738,339 times
The thing is that I've noticed is that when around blacks, yes I look different, but I feel less of a sense of rejection from them. I learned that all I had to do was stand my ground and try to get in where I fit in... But when around whites, again I look different and I feel them letting me know that. They don't do racist things to me (I'm not accusing whites of all being racists cause that's far from true). But the ones do say and do things to remind me that I'm different don't ever seem to realize that they are doing it. They just do it... And it's a very unwelcoming feeling.

My observation: A white kid in a black school that starts to act with an influence from hip hop may get some "who do you think you are's" here and there, but for the most part, he's viewed as a real cool "white boy." Then a black kid in a white school that starts to act "white" (whatever that means) by talking proper and dressing casual gets outcasted by both whites and blacks.

This is one reason that leads me to my opening statement.

Old 03-09-2009, 02:33 PM

16,701 posts, read 29,532,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psykomonkee View Post
The thing is that I've noticed is that when around blacks, yes I look different, but I feel less of a sense of rejection from them. I learned that all I had to do was stand my ground and try to get in where I fit in... But when around whites, again I look different and I feel them letting me know that. They don't do racist things to me (I'm not accusing whites of all being racists cause that's far from true). But the ones do say and do things to remind me that I'm different don't ever seem to realize that they are doing it. They just do it... And it's a very unwelcoming feeling.

My observation: A white kid in a black school that starts to act with an influence from hip hop may get some "who do you think you are's" here and there, but for the most part, he's viewed as a real cool "white boy." Then a black kid in a white school that starts to act "white" (whatever that means) by talking proper and dressing casual gets outcasted by both whites and blacks.

This is one reason that leads me to my opening statement.
Very good points and obervations...

and true dat.

Old 03-09-2009, 02:53 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,812,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suprascooby22 View Post
I heard about a few noose things when that march was going on in Jena Louisiana, not sure if any of them happened in Metro Atlanta.

I grew up in Clayton county and saw first hand what was going on in the early 90's when White Flight started. Clayton county is interesting because white flight happened so quickly there that were actually studies and article's written to describe it. There are very few places that go from all white to all black in 10 years the way Clayton did! Just google Clayton county "white flight" to see.
Not to always pick apart what you post here, but Clayton County is 52% black, 35% white, and 8% hispanic - it isn't anywhere near all black.

12% of Clayton County residents are living in poverty...compared to 14% for the state of Georgia. Median income in Clayton is $43,000...compared to $49,000 in the state of Georgia.
//www.city-data.com/county/Clayton_County-GA.html

Old 03-09-2009, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Not to always pick apart what you post here, but Clayton County is 52% black, 35% white, and 8% hispanic - it isn't anywhere near all black.

12% of Clayton County residents are living in poverty...compared to 14% for the state of Georgia. Median income in Clayton is $43,000...compared to $49,000 in the state of Georgia.
//www.city-data.com/county/Clayton_County-GA.html

Sorry, I should have clarified that the schools went from pretty much all white to ALL black in around 10 years. That NO ONE disputes!

Next point, it is often mentioned here that class or poverty results in the overall decline of an area more than on particular race. I would like to see what other counties % of residents living in poverty are. Such as Cherokee or Forsyth, I use these because they are very different than Clayton in terms of race and I would guess income.

Old 03-09-2009, 03:21 PM

1,755 posts, read 5,682,424 times
Quote:
You counld'nt be more wrong, NO ONE burns crosses in a minorities lawn anymore or confronts them when the moving truck arrives. People let their feeling know by MOVING out! Don't believe me look at Acworth as an example over the last 10 years. I use Acworth because you mentioned it, North Cobb High School was over 90% white 10 years ago and now is about 50/50. I know this because I have a relative that works there. Now if the Whites of Acworth were Ok with the minorities moving in than the high school wouldnt have lost SO many white students over the last decade.

An even better example of this would be what has happened to McEachern High School in Powder Springs over the last decade.
Well, I graduated from NC in 1996 and am familiar with McEachern as well. The 'Whites' haven't moved out, everyone has moved in.

My graduating class was 320+ in 1996 from NCHS, my sisters was 600+ in 2000, and my other sisters was 700+ in 2001.

Seems like massive addition and not subtraction to me

Old 03-09-2009, 03:50 PM

1,104 posts, read 1,522,605 times
Quote:
But...you don't automatically judge everyone of a certain color do you? or anyone with a mustache? or anyone wearing red? or everyone taller than 6'?
Naw definitely not, but I do judge by how one dresses and how they talk. I'm 29 and if I meet a 32 year old black dude with his boxers showing man we ain't chilling just cause we both black. Point blank I can't chance chicks with that dude. I think he needs to grow up and he will probably think I am lame, Which is fine. Both of us are judging each other. I agree with what you are saying about judging just by race alone, which I don't do. I won't hang with a white or latino dude either if they didn't roll how I roll. Hopefully you understand what I am saying. Diversity is great, but some people just can not be mixed and matched.

Old 03-09-2009, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Sorry, I should have clarified that the schools went from pretty much all white to ALL black in around 10 years. That NO ONE disputes!

Next point, it is often mentioned here that class or poverty results in the overall decline of an area more than on particular race. I would like to see what other counties % of residents living in poverty are. Such as Cherokee or Forsyth, I use these because they are very different than Clayton in terms of race and I would guess income.

Clayton's isn't much different from some of these...there is a wide variance, but I'm not really sure home much difference 5% makes.

Fayette County...6.5% living in poverty...median income $76,000.
Coweta County...11% living in poverty...median income $58,000.
Spalding County...15.2% living in poverty...median income $42,000.
Henry County...7.8% living in poverty...median income $63,000.

Cherokee County...5.6% living in poverty...median income $61,000.
Forsyth County...5.5% living in poverty...median income $85,000.
Hall County...11.2% living in poverty...median income $52,000.

Old 03-09-2009, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolyfett View Post
Naw definitely not, but I do judge by how one dresses and how they talk. I'm 29 and if I meet a 32 year old black dude with his boxers showing man we ain't chilling just cause we both black. Point blank I can't chance chicks with that dude. I think he needs to grow up and he will probably think I am lame, Which is fine. Both of us are judging each other. I agree with what you are saying about judging just by race alone, which I don't do. I won't hang with a white or latino dude either if they didn't roll how I roll. Hopefully you understand what I am saying. Diversity is great, but some people just can not be mixed and matched.
I think we're in sync on this...

Old 03-09-2009, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Clayton's isn't much different from some of these...there is a wide variance, but I'm not really sure home much difference 5% makes.

Fayette County...6.5% living in poverty...median income $76,000.
Coweta County...11% living in poverty...median income $58,000.
Spalding County...15.2% living in poverty...median income $42,000.
Henry County...7.8% living in poverty...median income $63,000.

Cherokee County...5.6% living in poverty...median income $61,000.
Forsyth County...5.5% living in poverty...median income $85,000.
Hall County...11.2% living in poverty...median income $52,000.
Very interesting! Now Claytons poverty levels seems to be pretty high in comparison yet Spalding has a much higher percentage. Now I know Spalding/Griffin is a good ways out but it makes me wonder why a county with a much higher poverty level than Clayton is NEVER in the news or on the TV the way that Clayton is. Not to say that Spalding doesnt have their problems but NO county in this state has the nonsense going on it that Clayton does.

It would be nice if we could put our fingers on the cause of it but that would be like predicting our own demise. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta