Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2009, 04:37 PM

840 posts, read 2,086,686 times

Advertisements

I was thinking about a extension to MARTA for all of the lines but 3 that I think need it now is the North Line, North East Line and South Line.

For the North Line Extension up to the Forsyth County Line with stations at:
Northride Rd
Holcomb Bridge
Roswell(Mansell Rd)
Northpoint Mall
Haynes Bridge Rd
Alpharetta (Old Mansell Rd)
Winward Pkwy
McGinnis Ferry Rd (at the Forsyth Line)

The North Line is the first of the 3 extensions that I would like to see built because of the traffic I see on WSB every morning is horrible traffic on that highway needs to be fixed now (Well in the next five years thats how long it could take). This one is on the MARTA website but It could be ten years before they build it

The Northeast Line in Gwinnett (ohh gwinnett) is needed because a county with almost 1 million people and traffic problems that is horrible. This line I would love to see have to branches 1 branch to Lawrenceville and one branch to Snellville
Stations
Oakcliff (In Dekalb County)
Amwiler
After this Station the Line spilts
TO LAWRENCEVILLE
Jimmy Carter Blvd
Norcross
Berkely Lake
Pleasent Hill
Gwinnet Place Mall
Sugarloaf (at sugarloaf Pkwy)
Gwinnett Medical Center
Lawrenceville

TO SNELLVILLE
Mechanicsville (In a Industrial Area)
NE Expy (Could Be a large Commuter Station for Northeast Metro Residents)
Oakwood
Harbin (at the corner of Harbin and Williams Rd)
Lilburn
Five Forks-Trickum
Brookwood
Emory Eastside
Snellville

The South Line into Clayton county (Ohh Clayton) would be the liine that I would ride everyday. the train (or something is needed) because the transit there is not on a level that is near other system. 4 Xpress routes that are packed most trips and 5 local routes that are packed all trips.
the stations that would be after the airport is
Sullivan Center (Where all of the Airport Hotels are)
Phoenix
Gardenwalk
Hwy 139/E Fayetteville Rd
Riverdale (In the New Riverdale Downtown)
Valley Hill
Tara (End of Line Most Trips)
Jonesboro (Commuter Station Connect with Commuter Rail Station at Jonesboro Station?)

I hope you guys like my Idea
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2009, 05:18 PM

3,573 posts, read 5,309,880 times
Give it another 10-20 years when most of the pre-1964 generation gets even older and start dying out. Slowly but surely, it will happen...

Old 03-08-2009, 08:08 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,086,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
Give it another 10-20 years when most of the pre-1964 generation gets even older and start dying out. Slowly but surely, it will happen...
Uh.. I was born in 1962. What did I do?

Also, I won't even be retired in the next 10-20 years. On average, my death by then is a bit of a stretch. I'll only be 66 years old in 2029.

Old 03-08-2009, 09:30 PM

880 posts, read 2,862,295 times
Very unlikely Marta will expand to Forsyth County in the future.

Old 03-08-2009, 10:39 PM

1,303 posts, read 3,857,194 times
What the outer burbs need is a commuter rail system... not MARTA..Marta needs to be expanded more "inside the perimeter" like subways systems of other cities. The outer burbs could be serviced by commuter rail operating on a more limited schedule.. say around morning and evening rushhours. If you have a subway system that sprawls as far out as Forsyth County, it would be extremely inefficient and expensive to operate.
MARTA needs to extend up Peachtree St, out to Emory University, East Atlanta,Morningside, VA highland, Little Five Pts, Up I75 to Cumberland, up Briarwood, and out to Tucker and Stone Mtn

Old 03-08-2009, 11:12 PM

1,498 posts, read 3,107,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post

What do the baby boomers have to do with not expanding mass transit? Sounds like a pretty dumb argument.

Old 03-08-2009, 11:26 PM

1,303 posts, read 2,094,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmusket View Post
What the outer burbs need is a commuter rail system... not MARTA..Marta needs to be expanded more "inside the perimeter" like subways systems of other cities. The outer burbs could be serviced by commuter rail operating on a more limited schedule.. say around morning and evening rushhours. If you have a subway system that sprawls as far out as Forsyth County, it would be extremely inefficient and expensive to operate.
MARTA needs to extend up Peachtree St, out to Emory University, East Atlanta,Morningside, VA highland, Little Five Pts, Up I75 to Cumberland, up Briarwood, and out to Tucker and Stone Mtn
there is al;ready a station by lil 5 points its walking distance

Old 03-08-2009, 11:56 PM

1,303 posts, read 3,857,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantaATL View Post
Then they need better signage.. I've always found it unusual how MARTA stations are almost hidden...out of the way. .Look at NYCs subway, Washington's Metro, and systems in Europe and Asia... stations are easy to find.. conspicuously located right in the middle of things. MARTA stations, with a a few exceptions are located atleast a 1/4 mile walk from where most ppl are trying to go.

Old 03-09-2009, 01:02 AM

5,633 posts, read 5,359,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmusket View Post
I think this is the best answer. If you lay a scale map of either London's or New York's extensive subway systems over Atlanta, they wouldn't do much for the city as a whole.

London's system would cover downtown and midtown pretty well, with a few offshoots into the surrounding areas, and only a few out into the suburbs.

New York's subway system would flood the inner perimeter with stops everywhere, but would barely crack outside the perimeter. With the way Atlanta is set up, this wouldn't be very efficient at all.

Both of these systems are extensive and extremely expensive, so I don't think we will ever see anything even bordering on those around here. I would hope that they do expand the lines as mentioned before, and add a couple of new lines within the perimeter.

My preference would be for a line that ran the following:
- Decatur
- On Ponce near Fernbank
- Virginia Highlands
- Piedmont Park
- Ran through the existing Midtown station on 10th
- Georgia Tech
- Atlantic Station
- Amtrak Station
- Howell Mill Shopping Area
- Chattahoochee/Marietta (lots of industrial around there who would probably use it....oh, and me)
- Marietta Blvd/Bolton (future new shopping center if they ever freakin' build it!)
- West Village (Atlanta Rd/285)
- Vinings/Cumberland
- Cumberland Mall
- Cobb Energy Centre

Then I've thought that it could actually make a loop going through Chastain, Buckhead, Druid Hills, Emory, and return to Decatur. The ones I listed would be the main stops, there could be a few more scattered in there. I cannot tell you how often I would ride this line.

Then, some commuter rails from many of the surrounding suburbs would be awesome. There are rails all over this city, there must be some that aren't utilized and could be repurposed.

Quote:
Then they need better signage.. I've always found it unusual how MARTA stations are almost hidden...out of the way. .Look at NYCs subway, Washington's Metro, and systems in Europe and Asia... stations are easy to find.. conspicuously located right in the middle of things. MARTA stations, with a a few exceptions are located atleast a 1/4 mile walk from where most ppl are trying to go.
This is also true. The closest station to Little Five Points is Inman Park. It's about a 0.6 mile walk from the center of L5P. That's not really far, but also not highly convenient. It's far enough to stop some people from making that spontaneous trip. The Civic Center stop is half a mile from the Civic Center. The closest station to Piedmont Park is about 0.8 miles.

I use Marta periodically for going to the airport, but I agree it's in-town presence needs to be expanded. Probably won't happen in any time to mean anything to me though.

Last edited by samiwas1; 03-09-2009 at 01:16 AM..

Old 03-09-2009, 02:46 AM

16,701 posts, read 29,526,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgyeldell View Post
I was thinking about a extension to MARTA for all of the lines but 3 that I think need it now is the North Line, North East Line and South Line.

For the North Line Extension up to the Forsyth County Line with stations at:
Northride Rd
Holcomb Bridge
Roswell(Mansell Rd)
Northpoint Mall
Haynes Bridge Rd
Alpharetta (Old Mansell Rd)
Winward Pkwy
McGinnis Ferry Rd (at the Forsyth Line)

The North Line is the first of the 3 extensions that I would like to see built because of the traffic I see on WSB every morning is horrible traffic on that highway needs to be fixed now (Well in the next five years thats how long it could take). This one is on the MARTA website but It could be ten years before they build it

The Northeast Line in Gwinnett (ohh gwinnett) is needed because a county with almost 1 million people and traffic problems that is horrible. This line I would love to see have to branches 1 branch to Lawrenceville and one branch to Snellville
Stations
Oakcliff (In Dekalb County)
Amwiler
After this Station the Line spilts
TO LAWRENCEVILLE
Jimmy Carter Blvd
Norcross
Berkely Lake
Pleasent Hill
Gwinnet Place Mall
Sugarloaf (at sugarloaf Pkwy)
Gwinnett Medical Center
Lawrenceville

TO SNELLVILLE
Mechanicsville (In a Industrial Area)
NE Expy (Could Be a large Commuter Station for Northeast Metro Residents)
Oakwood
Harbin (at the corner of Harbin and Williams Rd)
Lilburn
Five Forks-Trickum
Brookwood
Emory Eastside
Snellville

The South Line into Clayton county (Ohh Clayton) would be the liine that I would ride everyday. the train (or something is needed) because the transit there is not on a level that is near other system. 4 Xpress routes that are packed most trips and 5 local routes that are packed all trips.
the stations that would be after the airport is
Sullivan Center (Where all of the Airport Hotels are)
Phoenix
Gardenwalk
Hwy 139/E Fayetteville Rd
Riverdale (In the New Riverdale Downtown)
Valley Hill
Tara (End of Line Most Trips)
Jonesboro (Commuter Station Connect with Commuter Rail Station at Jonesboro Station?)

I hope you guys like my Idea
You (and others) need to take a look at this site and map:

CfPT (http://www.cfpt.org/pages/wctv - broken link)

Just click on the map, have fun, and visualize! Enjoy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta