Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2007, 04:36 PM

12 posts, read 52,358 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are thinking about relocating to Georgia, more specifically, to Marietta. Is homeownership a good investment in this city?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2007, 07:00 PM

15 posts, read 100,807 times
It has been for me. We have lived here since 1945 and except for the market crash of 1987 and maybe last year things have just gone up and up and up.

Right now is a good time to buy because housing market is currently slow. Good deals out there. Beginning to turn though. Will still be a lot of foreclosures for buyers that have taken low teaser rates and failed to switch to fixed rates. I think that is happening everywhere. Just the same Marietta area market is still very good but bargans are available due to market conditions.

Old 04-27-2007, 07:44 AM

2 posts, read 5,872 times
Home ownership is a great idea here! My view is skewed by the fact that I am in real estate, but I do quite well at it because of the market. The previous post is spot on. The market has flattened out in the last six months, but it is temporary and values have remained stable rather than decline. It has been a Buyer's market for some time and will continue in the near future.

We are Virginia transplants and came down late in 2001. It took all of six months for us to decide that we aren't moving any time soon. It is a great location with all the family activities and support we need.

Good luck on your move!

R,
David
Removed

Last edited by xxman777; 04-27-2007 at 08:02 AM.. Reason: Advertising

Old 04-30-2007, 10:09 AM

Default Thank you!

Thank you very much for your input about real estate in Marietta. My husband and I have been to Atlanta two times (so far) to look at homes in Marietta, Kennesaw, and Powder Springs. Marietta has great charm! Are there any concerns regarding overdevelopment in these areas? We noticed there are many, many new home sites going up and do worry about this area becoming overly congested. Do you have any thoughts on this?

Old 04-30-2007, 10:59 AM

1,088 posts, read 6,342,551 times
Marietta and Kennesaw are already pretty much overly congested. Just drive down Barrett Pkwy sometime between the hours of 6am and midnight and you'll see what I mean. The problem isn't as much the new stuff is getting built in Marietta, (althought a decent amount is still getting built there), its more that a lot is getting built farther west and there is no way for people living west to get to I-75 and into town. Any road that does provide access is becoming congested and causing problems for the entire region.

Old 05-01-2007, 07:21 AM

Why isn't a public rail system being looked into in West Cobb? I hope it is not the bureaucrats holding up such a rail system.

Old 05-01-2007, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klara3 View Post
Why isn't a public rail system being looked into in West Cobb? I hope it is not the bureaucrats holding up such a rail system.
There isn't enough density to support transit into west Cobb. Marta was turned down by Cobb county because the they were scared that crime would rise when there was transit access. That was in the 70's but they would likely turn it down again today (of course there are other problems which plague Marta today which could also factor into the decision). A BRT route is being looked at to go up I-75 but it won't provide access to west Cobb.

Old 05-01-2007, 01:59 PM

13 posts, read 61,477 times
What about the Cobb Cummunity Transit (http://dot.cobbcountyga.gov/cct/cct-park-ride.htm) (broken link), I was told this transit sytem connects to Marta

Old 05-01-2007, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreasureGirl View Post
What about the Cobb Cummunity Transit (http://dot.cobbcountyga.gov/cct/cct-park-ride.htm) (broken link), I was told this transit sytem connects to Marta
Well CCT does run express buses up I-75 and I-575 but they get caught in traffic just like everybody else. GRTA runs a bus out to Hiram but I imagine it has the same problems with traffic. But CCT does not and will not in the foreseeable future have or operate a rail system. There aren't any express buses that run to West Cobb other then the GRTA bus and no rail.

Old 05-03-2007, 07:56 PM

739 posts, read 830,943 times
As a native of Marietta with 25 years construction, development, investment and real estate experience, I'd have so say this; For an out-of-towner attempting to buy a home with the expectation of good market appreciation you might as well go to Las Vegas and have a good time. There are so many things that influence appreciation. Buying a home in the middle of a neighborhood is not going to get you good returns unless the entire neighborhood is bought for redevelopment. But then buying a home on a busy road close to commercial development may not suit your lifestyle either. My advice is to buy a home you can be happy with, don't spend more than you can absolutely afford (i.e., no exotic or interest only mortgages) and once you've been here long enough to understand the growth patterns, you may want to invest in rental property, although I haven't found any in a long time that cash flow or where the return comes from a source other than the expectation of continued market appreciation. Best of luck to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta