Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 08:46 AM

2,206 posts, read 6,892,331 times

Advertisements

On the one hand, I agree that some of the contributions on this thread seem a little tinged with envy or bitterness.

On the other hand, let's be honest, for most people, working hard isn't likely to get them an elegant single family home in Buckhead. If earning it by yourself you need to be a hard worker, and in a highly remunerated field, and smarter or more lucky than many of your peers.

You could be the most hard-working, skillful and successful high school math teacher in the whole world, public or private school, and you're not going to make money anything like the event planner mentioned earlier on this thread, for example.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2009, 10:14 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,490,386 times
LOL--a bit off topic but if you had the foresight to buy in Inman Park and Candler Park and other intown communities two decades ago you could be living there now on a rather modest income.

Old 03-21-2009, 10:43 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,368,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeAhike View Post
LOL--a bit off topic but if you had the foresight to buy in Inman Park and Candler Park and other intown communities two decades ago you could be living there now on a rather modest income.
Absolutely!

Back before I-485 and the Stone Mtn. Freeways were officially canceled, a lot of these neighborhoods were a steal due to the uncertainty.

I remember seeing beautiful bungalows in Va-Hi for well under $100K.

Old 03-21-2009, 11:32 AM

16,702 posts, read 29,532,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Absolutely!

Back before I-485 and the Stone Mtn. Freeways were officially canceled, a lot of these neighborhoods were a steal due to the uncertainty.

I remember seeing beautiful bungalows in Va-Hi for well under $100K.
For the non-natives...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interstate_485_(Georgia)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interstate_420_(Georgia)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interstate_675_(Georgia) (start reading at second paragraph)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_Park_(Atlanta)

Old 03-21-2009, 11:57 AM

B &B in Inman Park>>>
Google Image Result for http://www.bedandbreakfast.com/inns/atlanta-sugarmagnoliabb-lodging.jpg (http://tinyurl.com/cler9j - broken link)

In about 2 weeks it will be beautiful over there.

Old 03-21-2009, 11:59 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,368,320 times
Also for the non-natives, there are still vestiges of the areas that were demolished for these freeways:

John Howell Park on Virginia Ave, across from Inman Middle School in Va-Hi.

Pretty much all of Freedom Park. Imagine a spaghetti junction sized multi-stack interchange centered on what we now know as the Carter Presidential Library. This is the area where the little Grannies actually chained themselves to trees mere yards from approaching bulldozers.

The Stone Mtn. Freeway would have obliterated the beautiful Parkway along Ponce, east of Moreland. The beautiful Olmstead parks would have been destroyed.

The I-485 was slated to rip the heart out of the Virgina-Highland intersection, curving slightly northwest to wipe out half of Morningside before joining I-85 where 400 ends today.

This same route is under consideration again for the "Mega-Tunnel" a couple of wack jobs have proposed recently.

We seriously dodged a huge disaster when these roads were halted.

Old 03-21-2009, 12:54 PM

16,702 posts, read 29,532,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Also for the non-natives, there are still vestiges of the areas that were demolished for these freeways:

John Howell Park on Virginia Ave, across from Inman Middle School in Va-Hi.

Pretty much all of Freedom Park. Imagine a spaghetti junction sized multi-stack interchange centered on what we now know as the Carter Presidential Library. This is the area where the little Grannies actually chained themselves to trees mere yards from approaching bulldozers.

The Stone Mtn. Freeway would have obliterated the beautiful Parkway along Ponce, east of Moreland. The beautiful Olmstead parks would have been destroyed.

The I-485 was slated to rip the heart out of the Virgina-Highland intersection, curving slightly northwest to wipe out half of Morningside before joining I-85 where 400 ends today.

This same route is under consideration again for the "Mega-Tunnel" a couple of wack jobs have proposed recently.

We seriously dodged a huge disaster when these roads were halted.
Yep...and the Stone Mountain Freeway would have plowed through the northern part of the City of Decatur.

Old 03-21-2009, 03:05 PM

163 posts, read 306,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeAhike View Post
Not off topic at all ! I think it was mentioned earlier in the thread that most anyone who bought in town a couple of decades ago or more is in good shape (or should be). There are current Inman Park residents who fall into this category for sure...... Relative to another part of town I've got a friend who bought one of the small homes on a very big lot in Brookhaven about 20 years ago. He paid almost nothing at the time and during the years has had numerous offers from developers seeking the land. Even in the down economy he still gets offers.

Old 03-21-2009, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somoso View Post
Relative to another part of town I've got a friend who bought one of the small homes on a very big lot in Brookhaven about 20 years ago. He paid almost nothing at the time and during the years has had numerous offers from developers seeking the land. Even in the down economy he still gets offers.
I think the Ashford Park/Dresden Drive area is going to be a good investment--I loosely classify that as Brookhaven but others may not.

The area around Cross Keys HS will hopefully improve, too. Almost frightening in some spots at present but it's 'Lenox'. LOL.

In the mid/late 70's it was 'madness' to live near Grady/Inman Park but what incredible things have been done.

Old 03-21-2009, 05:06 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,048,359 times
Keep in mind also that some of the older homes ( not the tear down rebuilds) are smaller homes and people choose location over having a bigger home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenohfive View Post
I've always wondered.. what do people do to live in some great houses I see in mid/down town? Like the houses near Swan House..
-Jay G.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta