Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 04:42 PM

16,702 posts, read 29,532,605 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
I agree 100%, but I won't be so forgiving for the mischaracterization of Hosea Williams.

A few facts on the "radical" Hosea Williams:

Hosea Williams - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

-A World War II vet who fought in an all black unit in Pattons army, receiving the Purple Heart

-Joined the Civil Rights movement after being beaten for drinking from a whites only water fountain

-Was one of the original founders of the SCLC which consisted of such radicals as Martin Luther King, Andrew Young and Joseph Lowery

-During the first March on Selma, he was at the head of the pack and was beaten unconscious

-After the "Civil Rights Era", he served on the Atlanta City Council and as a representative in the Georgia General Assembly

-In his most enduring legacy, he created the Hosea Williams Feed the Hungry and Homeless foundation that feeds thousands upon thousands of poor and homeless Atlantans four times a year as well as providing support services to that segment of the community.

I think you need to redefine what you believe a radical to be Greg, and quite frankly, it is a shame that you would even stoop to calling someone of such stature as Hosea Williams a "radical".

Amen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2009, 05:00 PM

180 posts, read 188,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
I agree 100%, but I won't be so forgiving for the mischaracterization of Hosea Williams.

A few facts on the "radical" Hosea Williams:

Hosea Williams - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

-A World War II vet who fought in an all black unit in Pattons army, receiving the Purple Heart

-Joined the Civil Rights movement after being beaten for drinking from a whites only water fountain

-Was one of the original founders of the SCLC which consisted of such radicals as Martin Luther King, Andrew Young and Joseph Lowery

-During the first March on Selma, he was at the head of the pack and was beaten unconscious

-After the "Civil Rights Era", he served on the Atlanta City Council and as a representative in the Georgia General Assembly

-In his most enduring legacy, he created the Hosea Williams Feed the Hungry and Homeless foundation that feeds thousands upon thousands of poor and homeless Atlantans four times a year as well as providing support services to that segment of the community.

I think you need to redefine what you believe a radical to be Greg, and quite frankly, it is a shame that you would even stoop to calling someone of such stature as Hosea Williams a "radical".
I would have hated to see something like that stand without rebuttal. Good job.

Old 12-08-2009, 09:15 AM

Location: Originally from Cali relocated to Inman Park/Old 4th Ward/Westside Atlanta
987 posts, read 3,912,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
Forsyth gained recognition a number of years ago because a very radical activist named Hosea Williams played the "cry wolf" thing and organized a march in that area where several hundred black people did a 1960s style march against racism. Some KKK members showed up (what.. 8 people) to counter it and it was viewed by some members of the media that the county must be filled with KKK and skinheads.
What an ignorant statemet to make...I'm glad Waronxmas pointed this statement out to be a complete FRAUD.

Hosea Williams was a great member of The Atlanta Community hopefully you have researched some of his works and now more familiar since you were obviously blinded at the time of your post.

Old 12-08-2009, 09:29 AM

194 posts, read 618,883 times
There's a reasonably well-done documentary named "Banished" that deals, in part, with Forsyth County Georgia.

Banished >> Home

There's a very damning stretch in the documentary that deals with the expulsion of African Americans from Forsyth County and the subsequent re-distribution of their land to white residents. According to the documentary, in several cases, the land transfers demonstrate the involvement of some still-living public officials in the obfuscation of the land theft.

I have black friends who live near Forsyth County and white co-workers who live inside Forsyth County, proper. Their versions of the current climate suggest that everyone gets along just fine with few, if any, expressions of animosity.

However, the pragmatic side of me feels that it would be unwise to place my family too close to a potential powder keg. It happened before, it's likely to occur again.

If some white people (or whoever) desire homogenous communities I, as a Black man, think they should be allowed to acquire such through legal, above-board means (which did NOT occur with Forsyth County, unfortunately).

We should not attempt to force integrated communities on those who do not desire it.

Old 12-08-2009, 10:19 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,385,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by son-house View Post

However, the pragmatic side of me feels that it would be unwise to place my family too close to a potential powder keg. It happened before, it's likely to occur again.
So does this mean that people shouldn't move into Newark or any of the other cities that had riots back in the 60's/70's because "it's likely to happen again"?

I guess no one should work in a liquor store, since the clerk at a liquor store got shot and killed the other night and "it's likely to happen again"?

Jews probably shouldn't live in Germany anymore following that line of thinking either, right?

Go ahead and live your life in fear of things that could "happen again" if you'd like, but I don't think it's the best course of action for most folks.

Old 12-08-2009, 10:34 AM

5,984 posts, read 13,417,021 times
Quote:

We should not attempt to force integrated communities on those who do not desire it.
Why not? That's exactly what happened during the Civil Rights Movement. Segregation is never acceptable.

Old 12-08-2009, 12:04 PM

194 posts, read 618,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
So does this mean that people shouldn't...
Fortunately, we are all free to choose which risks we are willing to take, and which ones we aren't.

--

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwriter View Post
Why not? That's exactly what happened during the Civil Rights Movement. Segregation is never acceptable.
The Civil Rights movement was never about forcing integration. The Civil Rights movement was always about encouraging justice and highlighting injustice.

--

Further, groups of people should absolutely have the opportunity to (legally, non-violently) construct communities that suit their culture and goals.

Such communities already exist in the US.

For example, take a look at the Amish and Mormon communities here in the US. Same for "Chinatown" / "Japantown" type communities.

Last edited by son-house; 12-08-2009 at 12:19 PM..

Old 12-08-2009, 01:41 PM

1,176 posts, read 2,688,602 times
Quote:
There's a reasonably well-done documentary named "Banished" that deals, in part, with Forsyth County Georgia.

Banished >> Home

There's a very damning stretch in the documentary that deals with the expulsion of African Americans from Forsyth County and the subsequent re-distribution of their land to white residents. According to the documentary, in several cases, the land transfers demonstrate the involvement of some still-living public officials in the obfuscation of the land theft.

I have black friends who live near Forsyth County and white co-workers who live inside Forsyth County, proper. Their versions of the current climate suggest that everyone gets along just fine with few, if any, expressions of animosity.

If some white people (or whoever) desire homogenous communities I, as a Black man, think they should be allowed to acquire such through legal, above-board means (which did NOT occur with Forsyth County, unfortunately).

Redistribution of land - like the redistribution of wealth.

Old 12-08-2009, 02:11 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,417,021 times
Quote:
The Civil Rights movement was never about forcing integration. The Civil Rights movement was always about encouraging justice and highlighting injustice.

Segregation IS injustice.

Old 12-23-2009, 07:44 AM

2 posts, read 11,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt8325 View Post
There probably aren't any hate crimes there because over 90% of the county is white. I guarantee you if there was an influx of black people, and i'm not talking about wealthy black people, to move into Forsyth the hate crimes would go up. I'm guessing the majority of the blacks in Forsyth are fairly well off. Am I right ?
yes you are very right. the county is very wealthy and the black population is practically small enough to count on one hand. as in any area, if a minority increases then hate crimes would go up. that is just common sence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta