Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2007, 02:09 PM

40 posts, read 206,564 times

Advertisements

I know the main Jewish community is on the North side. I know that PTC does not have MANY Jews and that there is a Temple in Fayettville.

However, having the interest in moving there, I want to hear from Jews in PTC area if I should, and if you have any thoughts on the future there in terms of Jewish community.

If you are Jewish in PTC area, please speak up!

Thank you,

Tom
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2007, 03:59 PM

722 posts, read 3,316,211 times
Peachtree city is perhaps the only southside community with a sizeable Jewish population. I hear it's fairly vibrant

Old 09-03-2007, 01:38 AM

371 posts, read 1,555,373 times
Does it really matter that much? I do not choose where to live based on my faith or if there is a church their I want to attend, I choose my living environment more on my social likes and access to amenities, I then travel to church, afterall my faith is always part of me, I am not suddenly going to be less of a Christian just because my neighbor is Jewish, Muslim or Hindu, in fact to be honest I prefer the diversity, of course this is just me but I would be interested in hearing why it is so important to be in a same faith environment, I ask because I am genuinely interested.

Old 09-03-2007, 05:33 AM

3,972 posts, read 12,660,509 times
I think it matters a bit... It is hard on children to be the only anything in America.... is not in England?

To be the only house of the block without Christmas Lights, the only chld missing school on a Jewish holiday, or the only kid who doesn't believe in the Easter Bunny... it isn't easy. (Been there, done that myself as a kid.) You also may not want to travel an hour to the nearest grocrey store for Passover products.

I know a few Jewish families in Peachtree City, the ones I know travel North to The Temple on Peachtree in Midtown.

check out the website

www.ShalomAtlanta.org

Old 09-03-2007, 09:58 AM

I currently live in an area with a high Islamic population, I use the halal butcher that is nearby, as does a jewish friend as it happens.

I don't believe in the easter bunny either, am I a bad man? (lol)

Old 09-03-2007, 09:58 AM

1,517 posts, read 6,739,067 times
And, to add to lastminutemom's accurate portrayal of our city, it sure would be nice to have a synagogue on every corner and then choose where to live based on amenities. Your point of not self-segregating is well taken, and of course we should all live next to each other and celebrate our differences. Still, when you're a minority moving to a new city - especially to the South - it helps to find a religious community similar to one's own to help ease the transition. I love my neighbors and I love my neighborhood. But there's only so much explaining I can do as to why my kids aren't going to the Friday night BBQ when that's the only night we really sit down together and share in a semblance of a religious tradition. Same thing goes for having to explain not having a Christmas tree or the likes. Sure it's become Americanized, but it's still a religious symbol. We love sharing tree decorating and easter egg hunts with our non-Jewish neighbors, but we also like sharing our own customs without having to drive 20 miles. Maybe if these neighborhoods also had organized events around other religions (similar to that in other cities), things would be different. But there's a reality to living in the South and the OP is right in asking these questions. Britishintown, you touched on a sensitive issue.

Old 09-03-2007, 10:14 AM

Then I was right to ask the question, I'm 40 something and learning everyday, I would be happy to live in a predominately jewish area, I have done in the past, the only problem is I would get fat, the jewish people I have met always invited me to eat and the food was to good, the family atmosphere is second to none and just envelopes you, saying that my Islamic friends are the same, my christian friends less so strangely, but they have their moments to, I tend to avoid the whole christmas thing anyway so maybe that's why plus I choose not to judge other faiths, I am happy to explain alternate religious imagery to my daughter, I want her to be aware of all the flavours of people in the world, but again that is just me, perhaps I'm more open minded and considerate to differing cultures due to my life experiences or maybe I am to easy going, who knows.

What I do know is that if you take out a mans veins, his arteries and lay them all end to end, regardless of his faith he will die, so I guess we are all much the same when it comes down to the basics.

Old 09-03-2007, 10:52 AM

1,517 posts, read 6,739,067 times
There should be more people like you out there! And you're exactly the type of person I'd want in my neighborhood. It's just there aren't too many of you here in Atlanta, that's all. Thanks for your reply.

Old 09-03-2007, 11:00 AM

Thank you very much, you cannot get nicer than saying you would like someone as a neighbor.

Old 09-03-2007, 06:20 PM

1,111 posts, read 2,798,871 times
Britishintown:

I'm Jewish (my wife of 38 years is not) and looking for a place in Peachtree City. I really don't care what religion my neighbors are affiliated with. I too like to associate with friendly, honorable folk and let the rest of life's issues take care of themselves.

In truth, my life experience has been that the United States is a very benign society when it comes to accepting those from various belief paradigms. It wasn't always that way, but right now there would be few middle class areas in the nation which I would hesitate to live.

Rich
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta