Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2009, 04:11 AM

32 posts, read 112,445 times

Advertisements

Hi,We have been looking at a few subdivisions in both east and west cobb and as we are not from Ga we are finding it hard to decide which is the best location.What are main concerns are is that the schools are good and that the area is safe and quite diverse.

We have looked at Barrett knoll circle,Hayes elementary as this is the school closest to this subdivision and Magnolia Sth subdivision in Marietta and Sedalia park elementary.

Does anyone have any knowledge or opinions on these subdivisions as I cannot find anything on here on either subdivision and doe's anyone know anything about the schools that i have mentioned. What are the negatives about these schools. I have noticed Hayes test scores are very low this is leaning us towards Sedalia park.We love both places and they both tick all the boxes but we are really unsure which one and want to make the right desision.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2009, 01:31 PM

Any advice on sedalia park or Hayes elementary guys!

Old 05-09-2009, 01:33 PM

16,690 posts, read 29,502,859 times
Sedalia Park Elementary is an excellent school. You will be happy with it.

Old 05-09-2009, 09:16 PM

128 posts, read 352,832 times
East Cobb is renowned in Atlanta mostly because of the schools and "family'' atmosphere. There is a cachet you don't get with West Cobb

Old 05-10-2009, 07:10 AM

Thank you so much for your responses Aries4118 and Jurban8. Do you know

I thought west cobb was family friendly.Are there lots of things to do with children in east cobb?I visited last month and was a bit lost where are all the local parks? Anyone know anything about hayes elementary?Or does anyone know of the subdivisions i mentioned.

Old 05-10-2009, 07:19 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,187,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jurban8 View Post
East Cobb is renowned in Atlanta mostly because of the schools and "family'' atmosphere. There is a cachet you don't get with West Cobb
WHAT? Sorry, but that's completely, totally, and utterly NOT correct.

We looked in East Cobb....we could have bought in East Cobb...but we bought in West Cobb based on what at that time (Sep 2007) was a huge difference in the cost and age of homes in East Cobb versus West Cobb. You just got much more for much less at that time in West Cobb.

Both areas have good schools and are family friendly. East Cobb has Walton HS, but Harrison and KMHS are quite good, just not quite to the Walton edge. West Cobb is a little less built up in some areas and East Cobb was built up generally earlier than West Cobb, but other than that, I'm not sure what "cache" you're missing.

Old 05-10-2009, 07:32 AM

Now i'm totally confused.. lol. The area we are looking at in east cobb feeds into Wheeler high school is this any good?The property in west cobb feeds into KMHS we are not to concerned about the high schools at the moment as our children are elementary age and we are renting for a year just so we can get a feel for the area first but we would like to get it right first time if possible to avoid having to chnage the childrens school after a year.

Old 05-10-2009, 08:55 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,187,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARSENAL View Post
Now i'm totally confused.. lol. The area we are looking at in east cobb feeds into Wheeler high school is this any good?The property in west cobb feeds into KMHS we are not to concerned about the high schools at the moment as our children are elementary age and we are renting for a year just so we can get a feel for the area first but we would like to get it right first time if possible to avoid having to chnage the childrens school after a year.
Wheeler is OK...but in my opinion (and based on stats) no better than KMHS. I think it's about the other things that influence where you want to live. You'd most likely be happy in either location.

Old 05-10-2009, 12:12 PM

2,206 posts, read 6,889,761 times
Default cachet and cache

Quote:
Originally Posted by jurban8 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
... West Cobb is a little less built up in some areas and East Cobb was built up generally earlier than West Cobb, but other than that, I'm not sure what "cache" you're missing.
I've noticed on the forum and elsewhere that many people seem confused about these two words. jurban8 has the correct usage. Whether or not one agrees with the idea being expressed, it was expressed correctly.

Cachet originally meant a mark of distinction or prestige; it is also quite commonly (and acceptably) used as a synomym for prestige. So jurban8's final sentence is a simple claim that East Cobb is more prestigious than West Cobb.

In disagreeing, Neil used the word cache, which means a hiding place for, or hidden store of, valuables, ammunition or food, e.g. "Luckily, the Nazi patrol did not find our weapons cache".

Pronunciation: cachet is like "cash-ay" (with the emphasis on the second syllable); cache is like "cash".

Last edited by RainyRainyDay; 05-10-2009 at 12:15 PM.. Reason: added pronunciation info

Old 05-10-2009, 02:41 PM

2,206 posts, read 6,889,761 times
Just reflecting that I don't want my little sidebar on English usage to derail this thread for the OP, Arsenal.

I don't know the areas around the Hayes and Sedalia Park schools, but I notice from the map that they're in barely-West and barely-East Cobb, respectively. The East Cobb cachet (or snobbery, depending on how you see it) is mostly about the more eastern part of East Cobb, particularly the Walton high school attendance zone.

Arsenal, I think the title of your thread is probably a bit unhelpful to your desire to get comparisons of the subdivisions and schools that interested you. What comes to the mind of a forum regular when they see "East cobb v West cobb" is not what you want. Maybe you should try a fresh thread with either a title that's specific about the areas of interest, or if you prefer a more general title, go with something like "Trying to decide between subdivisions in Cobb". That would stop people thinking you're looking for an East Cobb versus West Cobb debate. At least, I think that's not what you want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta