Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2009, 11:17 AM

22 posts, read 39,753 times

Advertisements

I recently moved from out of country to Atlanta and had a few interesting observations and wanted to get everyone's input on the issue.

I am in no ways trying to insult a certain racial group but rather wanted to hear people's opinion. I am posting my opinion and you may disagree, please post your take on the issue so maybe I will change my own thoughts on the issue. I think the internet is a great avenue because people are more likely to say what they really feel instead of worrying about how others will perceive them. With that said, please do not use this discussion for any hate comments.

And on a side note, English is not my first language so please do not bash my literary skills. I have been working very hard to improve my English so please be understanding. Thank you!

As I have lived in Atlanta for just under a year, I reflected back on my time here and wondered about racial issues that exist in "South". Although there are plenty of well-off African-American (AA) families and individuals, I find it difficult to get rid of AA stereotypes, mainly because of the overexposure to certain types of AA that crowd around Five-Points Station, which is where I regularly travel. I am extremely disturbed when a homeless person (which the vast majority are AA in the Five-Points area) asks you for "change for food" and reject an offer when I hand them an apple/granola bar/etc. They keep trying to push you for "some change" and swear that it is for food.

During other times, like Black History Month, I constantly hear talks about how AA use to be treated as slaves and how prejudice still exists (GSU students, conversations on MARTA, etc...). I hear a lot of complaints and excuses to why AA aren't as successful (generally) as their Caucasian counterparts in the US. My personal take is that too many AA are still dwelling on the past and are not doing enough to make change for themselves (again this is generally - NOT ALL). Other racial groups have had to deal with slavery and punishment as well (Jewish by Germans, Koreans by Japanese, etc) but are much further along in getting over it than AA. I feel like too many AA use this as an excuse as to why they are not successful. If more time was spent on bettering yourself, than complaining, I feel like the issue would be much smaller.

I also disagree with the existance of historical Black colleges. Isn't this what we are trying to move away from? Shouldn't the youth of today have greater exposure to students of diverse backgrounds? I believe university is a time where the most self-growth occurs, and think that these historical Black colleges hurt more than they benefit. Would an all White college be allowed to exist? I don't think so and so I don't understand this double standard. What do you think? Have any of you attended these schools that can comment on this?

I've briefly discussed three different areas that I thought were quite interesting. I could go on but I don't feel like typing much more . I do want to add one more thing. Because of my encounters here in Atlanta, I have developed my own stereotypes for certain AA who dress in that hip-hop/ghetto type way. I know this is wrong but I find it difficult not too because of the overexposure to these types of AA around Five-Points. My perception completely changes when I see an AA in business attire. Does anyone else have this problem? I am trying not to have stereotypes, but I find it difficult...

Lastly, I think change needs to occur by successful AA leaders. If someone other than an AA tries to make change, they will be labelled as a "racist" when they bring up these issues. Do you not agree?

Old 05-15-2009, 11:41 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,098,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by confusedatl View Post
As I have lived in Atlanta for just under a year, I reflected back on my time here and wondered about racial issues that exist in "South". Although there are plenty of well-off African-American (AA) families and individuals, I find it difficult to get rid of AA stereotypes, mainly because of the overexposure to certain types of AA that crowd around Five-Points Station, which is where I regularly travel. I am extremely disturbed when a homeless person (which the vast majority are AA in the Five-Points area) asks you for "change for food" and reject an offer when I hand them an apple/granola bar/etc. They keep trying to push you for "some change" and swear that it is for food.
I don't carry cash. My theory is that
  1. it makes it less painful if I was ever to get robbed,
  2. I don't need an excuse if I'm panhandled, and
  3. it's probably better to give money to programs to feed/house homeless people than it is to give them cash directly.
Quote:
I've briefly discussed three different areas that I thought were quite interesting. I could go on but I don't feel like typing much more . I do want to add one more thing. Because of my encounters here in Atlanta, I have developed my own stereotypes for certain AA who dress in that hip-hop/ghetto type way. I know this is wrong but I find it difficult not too because of the overexposure to these types of AA around Five-Points. My perception completely changes when I see an AA in business attire. Does anyone else have this problem? I am trying not to have stereotypes, but I find it difficult...
The way a person dresses is a form of communication, and it can have a huge impact when making a first impression.

If people don't want to have themselves associated with a particular stereotype, they shouldn't dress like those stereotypes.

If they do dress in a stereotypical manner, they shouldn't be surprised if others make certain assumptions about them.

That applies to people of all races, IMO.

Old 05-15-2009, 11:47 AM

1,191 posts, read 1,585,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by confusedatl View Post
I find it difficult to get rid of AA stereotypes, mainly because of the overexposure to certain types of AA that crowd around Five-Points Station, which is where I regularly travel.
Confused,

If you are sincere and not a troll then I definitely don't want to come off as bashing you. But reading this statement tells me you have generalized blacks in the entire metro Atlanta area based on your experiences in one confined area of the city. I live in Los Angeles. Should I generalize ALL Mexicans based on how SOME act in a poorer part of town? Should I generalize ALL Mexican Americans based on the actions of people in Los Angeles? So you have the angle on blacks in Chicago, New York City, and Los Angeles based on your experiences in one section of Atlanta? That seems to be what you are implying in your generalizations.

Also, I would ask you what do you know about blacks and their history. Did you take the time learn about them? What about the city of Atlanta itself? Do you know anything about the city's history? To learn about its history is to learn a lot about African Americans. What do you know about the Civil War? The Confederacy? I ask because those things have impacted what Atlanta is today, the city you chose to live in.

Old 05-15-2009, 12:01 PM

First off, I am sincere and not a troll!

Second, I am targeting this message to city of Atlanta AA. That's why I decided to post it in the Atlanta forum and not an entire US forum.

Third, I admit that I only know the basics of the Civil War. But I did work extensively with an MLK committee (and had to do quite a bit of research) and learned a lot about AA history in Atlanta and the south. I realize that MLK is not the only AA history, but it does give you a great idea on what AA's in the south had to go through.

So now my question to you is: What have AA's gone through that is so much more difficult to get over than lets say, what happened to Korean slavery by the Japanese? I choose this example because Korean's are visible minorities as well. Although Korean people understand and know about the past, I don't see many Korean people making excuses for their well being today. On the other hand, many AA's in the Atlanta area keep making excuses for their lack of success on events that happened long time ago. Should they not focus more on bettering themselves than complaining? Is there not a better way to make use of their time and efforts?

Old 05-15-2009, 12:06 PM

168 posts, read 561,309 times
Obvious troll. File another one in the "race on the brain"/manure-stirrer trash pile.

Old 05-15-2009, 12:14 PM

I assumed there would be people who would bash on me without explaining their position. I am merely asking people to give me their opinions so that with valid arguments, I would change my perceptions. Instead of trying to insult me, please make some counter arguments so I can see the other argument.

Old 05-15-2009, 12:15 PM

2,138 posts, read 6,322,924 times
Clearly a troll.

BTW, historical black colleges exist because blacks weren't allowed to attend white universities. Also whites attend historical black colleges and some even get scholarships and grants for doing so.

Old 05-15-2009, 12:19 PM

south-to-west:

Again, insulting me does not accomplish anything. Although I do appreciate your brief discussion on historical Black colleges. I don't have any background information on them and didn't know whites attended these schools.

Comments like that are more helpful than calling me a troll. Thanks.

Old 05-15-2009, 12:37 PM

1,582 posts, read 2,186,959 times
I appreciate your courage and tact in addressing a difficult issue in Atlanta and the US in general. The tone of your post sounds sincere in trying to discuss and understand these issues. In all honesty I cannot disagree with anything you've said.

You're confronted with these issues on a daily basis and its very hard if not impossible to not develop these stereotypes even for African Americans toward other African Americans. Its a volatile issue but I feel the need to express my own opinion.

In my opinion, there are two underlying factors. One is as you've stated, the constant focus on the past. But perhaps more detrimental is government social policies of the past that have destroyed the AA family. If you just looked at the statistics that we all know are horrible for the AA community (crime, unemployment, education) and separate out the families headed by married parents, the statistics are virtually identical the white population.

Old 05-15-2009, 12:45 PM

1,364 posts, read 4,148,689 times
This is probably one of the more well written thoughts of a non-AA, and from reading many threads, a lot of non-AAs still feel this way.

It's not as easy as you make it out to be. Do some still blame "the man" for their troubles; yes. However, if you live in an area with little money and resources in K-12 education, local parents and role models with little ambition, and an area with a culture of "college is for nerds, I can't afford college, I hate school, I can make more money selling rocks or playing ball", well, what do you expect?

For some that do try and pull away from that, they are met with either overt or covert racism. If two resumes of equal value have to be chosen, who is more likely to get the job, John Smith or Tyrone Jackson?

The original purpose of HBCUs was to provide a college education for those who were banned or discriminated against in going to a "white" college. Some of these HBCUs are still highly regarded in certain disciplines, no matter what color someone is. As for why I went to an HBCU? So that I could dress and act in a way I felt comfortable without having to worry about whether or not someone thought I was a mini-thug or "oreo" (I personally hate that term). I met black people from all different parts of Africa, France, Alaska, eastern Europe, etc. Their upbringing was anything from "the hood" to Beverly Hills. They dressed like thugs, in business attires, preppy, etc. I had more self growth and enlightenment from being around people from all walks of life. The only difference was most of them were black. There was a significant Indian population, and a scattering of white and hispanic, so it's not like there was no exposure to other cultures. Besides, in the "real world" you can still live and work in a community that's extremely segregated.

I have quite a few other opinions on this, but I've written enough.

Quote:
I don't carry cash. My theory is that
  1. it makes it less painful if I was ever to get robbed,
  2. I don't need an excuse if I'm panhandled, and
  3. it's probably better to give money to programs to feed/house homeless people than it is to give them cash directly.
I always carry at least $10 or $20. I've known people who got beat down for not having any money when they got robbed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta