Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 08:36 PM

16 posts, read 53,980 times

Advertisements

Hi ;

I am wanting to move out of Milwaukee, WI after 15 years here and the reason is the log and dreadfull winters. Finally I think I have had enough of it.
I have 2 kids and both me and my wife are Computer Engineers. We are looking at Atlanta specifically Alpharetta,GA and also Dallas, TX. Any idea s to which is better place. We like the fact that Atlanta has great weather and Dallas it does get hot 2 months ....not too bad for us. MY specific area of concern was the job market for computer professionals in the 2 cities. Please advise. I have visitied both the cities and liked both though the traffic in Atlanta is a bother but I guess if you live and work in Alpharetta then that is not a problem.

Can someone provide some input that would help me decide. MIlwaukee is greta anbd us and we are well settled and all and do not have to move but we want to as the place is terrible as far as Winters go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2009, 10:04 PM

593 posts, read 2,893,545 times
I had this discussion the other day in the vermont forum where someone from florida wanted to move to vermont because they were tired of the hot weather.
In other words, going from one extreme to another... Which is what going from wisconsin to Dallas, TX would be like. You would like the climate of georgia better. 4 real seasons. It very rarely gets into the 100's here and there really aren't that many days in the 90's most years in alpharetta. So the weather is nice. We have excellent fall foliage. Texas doesn't even have trees.
We have hills. It's pretty. That's what you want obviously if you are wanting to move to alpharetta.
Other than the weather I can't comment on texas. I can comment on alpharetta though. Lots of transplants from out of state loads of very young children, soccer moms, mini vans, strip malls, the whole 9 yards.

Old 05-27-2009, 10:27 PM

2,138 posts, read 6,318,092 times
Well alright! I was raised in Milwaukee and have lived in Atlanta for 9 years now. My best friend from high school relocated to Dallas and I visit him quite often so maybe I can offer a little insight.

Living in Atlanta has been absolutely great for me as it is a great city to meet people and build a solid network of friends and professional colleagues. My whole time here I have lived in the city. As a single young professional though, this place is great. On top of it all, the winters here are very short and mild, the spring and fall here are prolonged and blessed by glorious weather, and the terrain and foliage is absolutely beatiful. Given the proximate location of the mountains, coast, as well as the world's busiest airport, it's pretty easy to get away when you need to.

The downside to Atlanta--as you so well guessed--is primarily the traffic. Not only is traffic is getting worse as the region is adding 1 million new residents each decade--state leadership has been lacking regarding investing in new infrastructure; which leads to the next downside. There is a lot of polarization here politically and at times racially. Don't get me wrong, Atlanta is a melting pot and in the more urban areas you will see people of all backgrounds frequenting the same places (I have close friends from a wide variety of ethnic backgrounds and nationalities), however when it comes to politics--things can get way overblown when someone decides to play the race card on both sides. The "us versus them" thing gets old pretty quick. But for some reason it's not enough to make me disillusioned about the place.

Dallas is also a great city. The people there are great and it's also an easy place to make friends. The summers there are hotter and a little less humid and the winters are actually a little warmer than they are in Atlanta--just think the difference between weather in Milwaukee than...say...Indianapolis. As of right now, the job market in Dallas is more solid as there economy hasn't been hit as hard due to the influence of the energy industry. The traffic in Dallas isn't as bad as Atlanta's, but still horrendous. The upside is that the regional transit authority there is currently expanding their light rail system--they are light years ahead of us in that regard. In regards to local leadership, you will still have a little of the "us against them" mentality that plagues many areas of the South, but it still has a little of the western "live and let live" mentality as well. Dallas is located within 4.5 hours of the gulf coast and its airports offer direct flights to anywhere in the country given that it serves as the hub for American and Southwest.

In regards to cost of living, both cities are almost a wash, but I would give a slight nod to Dallas. The housing is a little cheaper, but property taxes are a bit higher there as they have no state income tax (the revenue's gotta come from somewhere I guess). Also I've heard a lot about the astronomical energy bills there regarding AC and heating.

In regards to aesthetic, Atlanta--as I've said--is located in the midst of a lush forest and the greenery here is absolutely stunning. The rolling foothills are also a bonus. Dallas on the other hand is located in prairie country--and while it has its share of rolling terrain and greenery (the live oaks are pretty and stay green for most of the year)--it's not as scenic IMHO.

Atlanta has a little more of a funky vibe to it with ecclectic neighborhood and a very visible bohemian aesthetic in many places while Dallas may appear a little more conventional. Atlanta has also preserved some of it's historical architecture and neighborhoods more noticeably than Dallas.

Dallas on the other hand is laid out in a very organized manner and the streets are on a grid system in most places--versus Atlanta whose road network looks like a plate of spaghetti. Dallas is also very popular because so much of it looks familiar to people relocating from other areas of the country, which is great in that it may lessen the culture shock coming from Milwaukee. However you can still find some funky places in Dallas with a lot of character like North Oak Cliff or some of the East Dallas neighborhoods. Uptown Dallas is also an excellen walkable urban communtiy with great shopping, restaurants, and bars. Last but not least, the food in Dallas is out of this world--from barbecue to Tex Mex to just about any international cuisine you can think of.

I'm sorry if it seems like I'm rambling, but in the end you can't go wrong with either. Just go to where the job market takes you at this point. Good luck!

Old 05-27-2009, 11:01 PM

16,683 posts, read 29,502,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by south-to-west View Post
Well alright! I was raised in Milwaukee and have lived in Atlanta for 9 years now. My best friend from high school relocated to Dallas and I visit him quite often so maybe I can offer a little insight.

Living in Atlanta has been absolutely great for me as it is a great city to meet people and build a solid network of friends and professional colleagues. My whole time here I have lived in the city. As a single young professional though, this place is great. On top of it all, the winters here are very short and mild, the spring and fall here are prolonged and blessed by glorious weather, and the terrain and foliage is absolutely beatiful. Given the proximate location of the mountains, coast, as well as the world's busiest airport, it's pretty easy to get away when you need to.

The downside to Atlanta--as you so well guessed--is primarily the traffic. Not only is traffic is getting worse as the region is adding 1 million new residents each decade--state leadership has been lacking regarding investing in new infrastructure; which leads to the next downside. There is a lot of polarization here politically and at times racially. Don't get me wrong, Atlanta is a melting pot and in the more urban areas you will see people of all backgrounds frequenting the same places (I have close friends from a wide variety of ethnic backgrounds and nationalities), however when it comes to politics--things can get way overblown when someone decides to play the race card on both sides. The "us versus them" thing gets old pretty quick. But for some reason it's not enough to make me disillusioned about the place.

Dallas is also a great city. The people there are great and it's also an easy place to make friends. The summers there are hotter and a little less humid and the winters are actually a little warmer than they are in Atlanta--just think the difference between weather in Milwaukee than...say...Indianapolis. As of right now, the job market in Dallas is more solid as there economy hasn't been hit as hard due to the influence of the energy industry. The traffic in Dallas isn't as bad as Atlanta's, but still horrendous. The upside is that the regional transit authority there is currently expanding their light rail system--they are light years ahead of us in that regard. In regards to local leadership, you will still have a little of the "us against them" mentality that plagues many areas of the South, but it still has a little of the western "live and let live" mentality as well. Dallas is located within 4.5 hours of the gulf coast and its airports offer direct flights to anywhere in the country given that it serves as the hub for American and Southwest.

In regards to cost of living, both cities are almost a wash, but I would give a slight nod to Dallas. The housing is a little cheaper, but property taxes are a bit higher there as they have no state income tax (the revenue's gotta come from somewhere I guess). Also I've heard a lot about the astronomical energy bills there regarding AC and heating.

In regards to aesthetic, Atlanta--as I've said--is located in the midst of a lush forest and the greenery here is absolutely stunning. The rolling foothills are also a bonus. Dallas on the other hand is located in prairie country--and while it has its share of rolling terrain and greenery (the live oaks are pretty and stay green for most of the year)--it's not as scenic IMHO.

Atlanta has a little more of a funky vibe to it with ecclectic neighborhood and a very visible bohemian aesthetic in many places while Dallas may appear a little more conventional. Atlanta has also preserved some of it's historical architecture and neighborhoods more noticeably than Dallas.

Dallas on the other hand is laid out in a very organized manner and the streets are on a grid system in most places--versus Atlanta whose road network looks like a plate of spaghetti. Dallas is also very popular because so much of it looks familiar to people relocating from other areas of the country, which is great in that it may lessen the culture shock coming from Milwaukee. However you can still find some funky places in Dallas with a lot of character like North Oak Cliff or some of the East Dallas neighborhoods. Uptown Dallas is also an excellen walkable urban communtiy with great shopping, restaurants, and bars. Last but not least, the food in Dallas is out of this world--from barbecue to Tex Mex to just about any international cuisine you can think of.

I'm sorry if it seems like I'm rambling, but in the end you can't go wrong with either. Just go to where the job market takes you at this point. Good luck!
Even though I'm not moving from Milwaukee to Atlanta or Dallas...I just have to say...this was a very good, informative post.

It was cool to read the very careful, detailed comparison of the two cities...from someone who really know's what s/he is talking about.

Old 05-28-2009, 01:11 AM

16,683 posts, read 29,502,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ise_66 View Post
Hi ;

I am wanting to move out of Milwaukee, WI after 15 years here and the reason is the log and dreadfull winters. Finally I think I have had enough of it.
I have 2 kids and both me and my wife are Computer Engineers. We are looking at Atlanta specifically Alpharetta,GA and also Dallas, TX. Any idea s to which is better place. We like the fact that Atlanta has great weather and Dallas it does get hot 2 months ....not too bad for us. MY specific area of concern was the job market for computer professionals in the 2 cities. Please advise. I have visitied both the cities and liked both though the traffic in Atlanta is a bother but I guess if you live and work in Alpharetta then that is not a problem.

Can someone provide some input that would help me decide. MIlwaukee is greta anbd us and we are well settled and all and do not have to move but we want to as the place is terrible as far as Winters go.
These sites could be helpful...great for easy comparison:

Atlanta - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Dallas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 05-28-2009, 04:55 AM

3,972 posts, read 12,656,983 times
You should get a job first. Even IT jobs have dwindled here and with companies laying off and closing, there will be lots of locals vying for jobs.

Something struck me in your post --the part about living and working in Alpharetta. While it would be nice if it turned out that way, ATL is a major metropolitian area and the jobs are all over the place. You need to get the job first (whether it is in ATL or DFW) and then figure out where to live.

Old 05-28-2009, 06:50 AM

593 posts, read 2,893,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Even though I'm not moving from Milwaukee to Atlanta or Dallas...I just have to say...this was a very good, informative post.

It was cool to read the very careful, detailed comparison of the two cities...from someone who really know's what s/he is talking about.

I agree. Much better than my post.
I wasn't expecting someone who had lived in both dallas and atlanta who was from wisconsin to reply.

Old 05-28-2009, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shagbark Hickory View Post
I agree. Much better than my post.
I wasn't expecting someone who had lived in both dallas and atlanta who was from wisconsin to reply.
LOL! Thanks, guys. Actually my best friend from high school in Wisconsin lives in Dallas. I just visit him about once or twice a year. It's funny because he's trying to get me to move there and I'm trying to get him to move here with his family. I guess we both love where we live, which hopefully is a good sign for the OP.

Old 05-28-2009, 03:37 PM

16 posts, read 53,980 times
Hi LastMinuteMom;

IS the IT job market so bad there in Atlanta. I see online and find lots of opportunities there. Both me and my wife have more than 15 years experience each and from what I undertsnad the worst is behind us and the recruiting is good in Atlanta now.

On a different note and on this I want some advise also; if one has to travel like every week from Atlanta to other places in US and come back on the weekend; is it better to live in Marietta or thereabouts?

How good is the IT job market in Dallas as compared to Atlanta. It seems that Dallas has great infrastructure but Atlanta is more beautiful. If one assuems that the big companies and retail businesses are always right as far as their predictions go Atlanta seems to be a clear winner as they are coming there bigtime as far as the businesses go. Dallas too I understand has several stores.

Old 05-28-2009, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ise_66 View Post
Hi LastMinuteMom;

IS the IT job market so bad there in Atlanta. I see online and find lots of opportunities there. Both me and my wife have more than 15 years experience each and from what I undertsnad the worst is behind us and the recruiting is good in Atlanta now.

On a different note and on this I want some advise also; if one has to travel like every week from Atlanta to other places in US and come back on the weekend; is it better to live in Marietta or thereabouts?

How good is the IT job market in Dallas as compared to Atlanta. It seems that Dallas has great infrastructure but Atlanta is more beautiful. If one assuems that the big companies and retail businesses are always right as far as their predictions go Atlanta seems to be a clear winner as they are coming there bigtime as far as the businesses go. Dallas too I understand has several stores.
Listen,

As far as natural beauty being better in Atlanta--you're right.

As far as infrastructure being better in Dallas--you're right.

As far as living in Marietta to be within a better commute of the airport--you're right. May I also add that if you have a job in which you travel over 60% of the time, you may want to consdier some of the suburban communities on the southside, namely in Fayette County where a lot of pilots and airline execs live. There are some very nice master-planned communities down there and the pace of life is very laid back.

In regards to economy, Atlanta and Dallas are really a wash. However Dallas's economy is in better shape at the current moment. Overall, both are booming Sunbelt cities of similar character. My personal opinion is that your luck would be better in Dallas right now. Just send out resumes for available positions in both metros and jump on the first ideal offer.

You won't be disappointed with either metro--especially if one of your main concerns is escaping the dreaded Wisconsin winters. Trust me. Everytime that I talk with my buddy in Dallas on the phone during winter, we always have a conversation that starts with:

"Have you heard how cold it is back home today? And this is supposed to be April? I'm proud of being from Wisconsin, but I can never go back to that crap!"

"Yeah...poor bastards. I'm driving with my windows down right now (I speak with a hands-free earphone while driving for those concerned )"

"I know. Gotta go right now. I'm having people over for a cookout and I gotta throw the brats on."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta