Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2009, 11:11 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,076,879 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakilaTheHun View Post
LUV (Southwest) has been profitable for most of the past four years and has a better record of profitability than almost any other major airline. Read their financial statements sometime. I'll even provide you the link:

LUV - 10K Report
Their luck with fuel hedges accounts for a lot of that profit, though. If they hadn't been relatively successful in that activity, many of their profitable quarters would have been losses just like the rest of the industry.

Southwest has a number of advantages. A heterogeneous fleet, no operational dependencies on other airlines for services like interline bag transfers, no international flying, a historic avoidance of congested and/or wx-prone airports, etc. They're in a nice position. Some of that, however, is as much as accident of history as it is good planning on their part, at least in my opinion.

Disclaimer: I worked at NWA in IT (flight ops) for 10 years, and I may have a biased opinion of these bargain carriers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2009, 11:25 AM

1,241 posts, read 1,894,785 times
One of my friends has lived in several places and Raleigh is the only place that he considers home. Try Raleigh.

Old 12-05-2009, 11:34 AM

2 posts, read 9,772 times
Default hate Raleigh

I was transferred from ATL to RAL and I HATE IT! Unless you go to school or work there is nothing to do here. Downtown Raleigh is like downtown Marietta in Atlanta. I live in Cary and it has the most concentrated group of overeducated, self-righteous people I have ever met. Don't expect your southern hospitality to be met with open arms.

Old 12-07-2009, 04:28 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,859,218 times
Well, you know what they say Cary stands for: Containment Area for Relocated Yankees.

Old 01-01-2010, 09:58 AM

228 posts, read 460,081 times
My dad lived in Raleigh and now my family and I live in Atlanta. Atlanta is a much larger city than Raleigh and it has a very nice skyline. Atlanta, especially Buckhead, is very high on nighlife and is popular with a younger crowd. If you needed a job, Atlanta would be better because it's an international city and the commercial center of the south. Since you have a family, I recommend living in the Atlanta metro area because there is less crime and better schools.Raleigh is smaller, but the traffic is better by a MILLION although it doesn't have as much public transportation. Raleigh also has lots of natural beauty, but Atlanta does have lots of trees. In Raleigh, you will probably end up meeting less strangers because it's local. Lastly, I beleive that you will find more diversity in Atlanta and the surrounding area.

My pick would be Atlanta.

Old 01-01-2010, 03:26 PM

316 posts, read 654,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jln69 View Post
Same here.
me three.

Old 01-01-2010, 09:58 PM

13 posts, read 38,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smkalmer View Post
Anyone have any insight on differences between Raleigh and Atlanta. I am surprised how much thought I am putting into moving, but it is a big decision. I like Atlanta a lot because it is a major city and it is accessible to the mountains, parks, trails, and closer to family. But I am a bit turned off by the traffic and congestion. (although lived in Chicago for 12 years). Raleigh seems more manageable. Any insight from someone who's lived in either place?

file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/HP_ADM%7E1/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-2.png (broken link) atlanta is waaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyy more popularthan rieghly.file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/HP_ADM%7E1/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.png (broken link)file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/HP_ADM%7E1/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-1.png (broken link)

Old 01-01-2010, 10:03 PM

316 posts, read 654,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blondandfun View Post
Yeah, the benefit of Atlanta is the population here is so stupid they are easy to make money off of if you try.
Would be more valid if you could prove some statistics..

Old 01-02-2010, 10:01 AM

atlanta has more gowing green projects and cooler buildings like modern and posmodern

Old 01-02-2010, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nat of the ATL View Post
My dad lived in Raleigh and now my family and I live in Atlanta. Atlanta is a much larger city than Raleigh and it has a very nice skyline. Atlanta, especially Buckhead, is very high on nighlife and is popular with a younger crowd. If you needed a job, Atlanta would be better because it's an international city and the commercial center of the south. Since you have a family, I recommend living in the Atlanta metro area because there is less crime and better schools.Raleigh is smaller, but the traffic is better by a MILLION although it doesn't have as much public transportation. Raleigh also has lots of natural beauty, but Atlanta does have lots of trees. In Raleigh, you will probably end up meeting less strangers because it's local. Lastly, I beleive that you will find more diversity in Atlanta and the surrounding area.

My pick would be Atlanta.
me too
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta