Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 06:24 PM

6,554 posts, read 12,040,501 times

Advertisements

I saw this article in the AJC today. It stated that Atlanta is the 3rd least favorite place to travel to. They just had to compare Atlanta to Detroit in the first sentence. Then again, Los Angeles was the one in the top 3 least favorite which I don't believe. The article also mentioned that many people surveyed have never been to Atlanta or haven't been recently. There have been a lot of new attraction especially around Centennial Park, and more to come. The thing about Atlanta's attractions are they are locally known but not publicized enough to be nationally or world known, other than maybe CNN Center, Coke Museum, and Stone Mountain. That is why many people who don't know Atlanta think it's a boring city with nothing to do, especially since it's landlocked. Personally, I think Atlanta has a lot going on despite not having a natural setting, other than lots of trees. It has architectural beauty, cultural amneties, and well planned districts. Wait until Midtown Mile, Streets of Buckhead, and the Beltline is complete.

TripAdvisor survey: Atlanta a least-favorite destination | ajc.com (http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/metro/atlanta/stories/2009/06/25/atlanta_least_favorite.html - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2009, 06:41 PM

8,485 posts, read 14,993,141 times
It's a sad fact of life that depending are where you are in the world you hear different things about our city. If it's some one in the states who doesn't know much about Atlanta their first thought is 'Gone With The Wind'. If you're overseas, their first thought is the Olympics. Odd how neither of those Atlanta's exist anymore.

Old 06-25-2009, 07:08 PM

807 posts, read 3,186,562 times
"Nearly as unpopular as Detroit"...HUH???

Whoever made that statement needs to spend the night in downtown Detroit... un-armed!

I've met so many wonderful people from Atlanta that give me the feeling that it HAS to be a great city!

Old 06-25-2009, 08:09 PM

4,688 posts, read 8,018,880 times
Yesterday they said 3 million people are moving here by 2040, must not be too bad...lol

I think Atlanta is the most hated on city in America...lol

Old 06-25-2009, 08:29 PM

663 posts, read 1,863,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe2000 View Post
Yesterday they said 3 million people are moving here by 2040, must not be too bad...lol

I think Atlanta is the most hated on city in America...lol
People always use that phrase "X number of people are living/moving here so it must not be too bad."

It really is not that simple. People usually live somewhere because they have roots there, or they go to school or found employment there. Atlanta will keep growing and retaining people because its economy will keep expanding, becoming more diverse and because the cost of living will be reasonable for a metro area of its size. This doesn't mean that Atlanta is some exotic and/or intriguing place to visit for outsiders. I don't think it ever will be. There are too many other large cities in the country and world worth spending a plane ticket and accommodations on than Atlanta. I think that all of the new developments in Atlanta are aimed at creating more of a world-class feel for residents, but certainly not for attracting outsiders. A person in Connecticut would rather visit the Arc de Triomphe in Paris, not the Atlantic Station version.

Old 06-25-2009, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkone View Post
People always use that phrase "X number of people are living/moving here so it must not be too bad."

It really is not that simple. People usually live somewhere because they have roots there, or they go to school or found employment there. Atlanta will keep growing and retaining people because its economy will keep expanding, becoming more diverse and because the cost of living will be reasonable for a metro area of its size. This doesn't mean that Atlanta is some exotic and/or intriguing place to visit for outsiders. I don't think it ever will be. There are too many other large cities in the country and world worth spending a plane ticket and accommodations on than Atlanta. I think that all of the new developments in Atlanta are aimed at creating more of a world-class feel for residents, but certainly not for attracting outsiders. A person in Connecticut would rather visit the Arc de Triomphe in Paris, not the Atlantic Station version.

I havent seen any reports of 3 million people moving to North Dakota. Nobody is putting a gun to 3 million people's head making them move here. Those same 3 million people can get a job in Paris, NY, Cali, Miami if they wanted but they are choosing to come here

People move here because of the mild winters, cheap cost of living, ranked #10 for the retired, black mecca, southern hospitality, etc.

Visitors love Atlanta. 10 million people have already visited the Aquarium. Lots of conventions. Gays/lesbians visit Atlanta more than any other city in the south. #1 city for blacks to move to. Top 10 list of places to move once you retire. Hispanic population has exploded. Headquarters from across the country are moving here. 3 million people are moving here by 2040. I say Atlanta is one of the most visited cities in America

Last edited by tonygeorgia; 06-25-2009 at 08:55 PM..

Old 06-25-2009, 08:57 PM

Las Vegas, Los Angeles, Atlanta in top 10 for minority travelers | ajc.com (http://www.ajc.com/travel/content/travel/resources/stories/goguide2006/minority.html - broken link)

Most popular cities for African-American travelers
Atlanta

Las Vegas
Washington, D.C.
Orlando
Houston
Norfolk/Virginia Beach/Newport, Va.
Chicago
New York
Atlantic City, N.J.
Los Angeles

Most popular cities for Hispanic-American travelers
Las Vegas
Orlando
Los Angeles
San Diego
Riverside/San Bernardino, Calif.
Atlanta
San Antonio
Chicago
San Francisco
Phoenix

Most popular cities for Asian-American travelers
Las Vegas
Los Angeles
San Francisco
San Diego
Orange County, Calif.
Boston
Riverside/San Bernardino, Calif.
Sacramento, Calif.
Phoenix
Atlanta

Old 06-25-2009, 09:36 PM

2 posts, read 6,031 times
No matter what AJC say, people love Atlanta. We have one of the busiest airports in the world. Now think about this. Even if people are comming down here for economic opportunites(ect.), we still have one of the largest numbers of leaving passengers. And Atlanta is not getting any smaller, so that means we have a very large number of vistors that is comming and going.

Old 06-25-2009, 09:37 PM

1,352 posts, read 4,374,173 times
atlanta blows for tourism but its ok to live in. i dont get the fuss over well known facts. that goes for 90% of all cities.. we just get included in these stats because of size

Old 06-25-2009, 10:27 PM

1,303 posts, read 3,856,086 times
Atlanta is just not a tourist city. It's has always been more of a business city. Atlanta does have attractions that draw visitors regionally.. Six Flags, White Water, Aquarium, and Stone Mountain...(something that people will travel about 4 hrs by car for).. but it doesn't have the tourist attractions of Vegas, Orlando and it doesn't have Beaches like Florida and California. Another downside for tourism, is that Atlanta is not very pedestrian freiendly and the transit system is limited.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta