Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 12:30 PM

4,085 posts, read 8,789,213 times

Advertisements

I'm curious as to how the people of the Atlanta area feel about the New Jerseyans who have moved into the area.

From what I hear, the NJ immigrants love the lifestyle down there and adapt very easily. They seem to love the region's foods, history, culture, and lifestyle. So I'd imagine that other than more people living there, there are no real changes, at least, only changes for the better, not worse.

Also, they always say they are of "like mind" with the natives/locals in Georgia, so I'd imagine everyone gets along great. Apparently, these New Jerseyans who left NJ hated the rude people here, so they must be the polite New Jerseyans. Do you find them to be polite and have manners just like souutherners who have always lived there?

I'm honestly curious about native Georgians' REAL opinions on their neighbors who moved in recently from NJ (or NY/the Northeast), and if you feel they've changed Atlanta or Georgia for the better, or for the worse. Please be brutally honest, for better or worse.

If you are a transplant from NJ or the northeast, please don't even bother replying, I have no interest whatsoever in what you think.

Old 07-29-2009, 12:49 PM

823 posts, read 2,216,168 times
I am from NYC originally and I think you are completely mischaracterizing what transplants here think. Especially when it comes to the differences in pace and food. There are real cultural changes, especially if you have always lived in the Northeast.

Old 07-29-2009, 12:51 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,385,838 times
He's trolling, Petey- he doesn't believe a single word of what he's written. He's looking for fodder for a thread in the NJ forum. We'll humor him for a little while and see how this thread plays out.

Old 07-29-2009, 12:53 PM

24 posts, read 83,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
I'm curious as to how the people of the Atlanta area feel about the New Jerseyans who have moved into the area.

From what I hear, the NJ immigrants love the lifestyle down there and adapt very easily. They seem to love the region's foods, history, culture, and lifestyle. So I'd imagine that other than more people living there, there are no real changes, at least, only changes for the better, not worse.

Also, they always say they are of "like mind" with the natives/locals in Georgia, so I'd imagine everyone gets along great. Apparently, these New Jerseyans who left NJ hated the rude people here, so they must be the polite New Jerseyans. Do you find them to be polite and have manners just like souutherners who have always lived there?

I'm honestly curious about native Georgians' REAL opinions on their neighbors who moved in recently from NJ (or NY/the Northeast), and if you feel they've changed Atlanta or Georgia for the better, or for the worse. Please be brutally honest, for better or worse.

If you are a transplant from NJ or the northeast, please don't even bother replying, I have no interest whatsoever in what you think.
I like their subtle accent.. :-) You all do not say "becaaaausssss" you say "becoooouhhhhzzzz" it's cute.. :-)

Old 07-29-2009, 12:54 PM

What part of "If you are a transplant from NJ or the northeast, please don't even bother replying, I have no interest whatsoever in what you think" do you people not understand?

I like that DONNIEANDDONNA on the "native Atlantan" thread admitted that they're not happy with being "bombarded" with people moving in from everywhere else... That's a start.

Old 07-29-2009, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asia19 View Post
I like their subtle accent.. :-) You all do not say "becaaaausssss" you say "becoooouhhhhzzzz" it's cute.. :-)
TY, Asia.

Old 07-29-2009, 01:02 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,368,320 times
Quote:
What part of "If you are a transplant from NJ or the northeast, please don't even bother replying, I have no interest whatsoever in what you think" do you people not understand?

I like that DONNIEANDDONNA on the "native Atlantan" thread admitted that they're not happy with being "bombarded" with people moving in from everywhere else... That's a start.
Why do you even care? I have never witnessed you say one, single positive thing about Atlanta.

Even though you claim that you worked here for a while, it sounded like you were making it all up it was so far off the mark.

Old 07-29-2009, 01:28 PM

292 posts, read 635,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteyNice View Post
There are real cultural changes, especially if you have always lived in the Northeast.
For example?

Old 07-29-2009, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Why do you even care? I have never witnessed you say one, single positive thing about Atlanta.

Even though you claim that you worked here for a while, it sounded like you were making it all up it was so far off the mark.
Are you sure you're thinking about me? What have I said that is so off the mark? I've hardly said anything about Atlanta at all. I worked there for quite some time, in the Dunwoody area. I usually went there for anywhere from a couple days up to a week. I've probably gone for work about 20 times, and maybe 5 times to visit friends.

As for why do I care, I will tell you why...

I'm sick and tired of people, so many whom I have met, who "play both sides". People who leave NJ (or wherever) and move to Atlanta (or wherever) and whine about each place to the people who are from those respective places.

A couple of examples of people I know...

One friend of mine moved to Atlanta years ago (he has since moved to Raleigh). Every time we'd talk on the phone, he'd boast about Atlanta and put down NJ, with remarks like "Oh I'm so glad I left that state, NJ sucks," etc. I thought he truly just loved Atlanta and despised NJ. And for the most part, that was probably true. But when I went to visit him, I learned from his neighbors and friends down there that he was insufferable about what he didn't have there and how "NJ was SO much better", etc. He would tell me on the phone what a big Hawks and Braves fan he was, but he would tell the people he knew there what a big Jets fan he was. He'd mock NJ for having diners (???) but then he'd complain to neighbors in Atlanta that he couldn't get a decent Taylor Ham Egg and Cheese breakfast because they had no diners there. He'd bash NJ to me, saying how people here are too stressed because it's too fast paced, and that he liked the slower pace in Atlanta; but he'd tell his neighbors how everyone in Atlanta was too slow and how it was so annoying, etc. His wife even was in on this act - they would come to NJ and she'd talk about how polite everyone in the south is, and how her children say "sir" and "ma'am" and how "that would never happen in NJ!" and how they have cute southern drawls; but then I found out from their neighbors that she complains to them that her kids are saying things like "I'm fixin' to ______" and how she's trying to keep them from having a southern accent or use southern colloquialism.

So, my theory is that these people are just whiny malcontents who, no matter where they are, they whine and bash the place and talk about how green the grass is elsewhere. When they go to that other place, they do the same.

From what I have heard from many locals/natives of places like Raleigh, Atlanta, etc. is that these same people who whined to me about how NJ sucks are the opposite down there, and talk non-stop about how much better NJ was for pizza, for bagels, for this, for that, for whatever.

So, I want to know if that's anyone's experience. If not, fine. That's why I'm asking.

Old 07-29-2009, 02:03 PM

292 posts, read 635,553 times
Quote:
Are you sure you're thinking about me? What have I said that is so off the mark? I've hardly said anything about Atlanta at all. I worked there for quite some time, in the Dunwoody area. I usually went there for anywhere from a couple days up to a week. I've probably gone for work about 20 times, and maybe 5 times to visit friends.

As for why do I care, I will tell you why...

I'm sick and tired of people, so many whom I have met, who "play both sides". People who leave NJ (or wherever) and move to Atlanta (or wherever) and whine about each place to the people who are from those respective places.

A couple of examples of people I know...

One friend of mine moved to Atlanta years ago (he has since moved to Raleigh). Every time we'd talk on the phone, he'd boast about Atlanta and put down NJ, with remarks like "Oh I'm so glad I left that state, NJ sucks," etc. I thought he truly just loved Atlanta and despised NJ. And for the most part, that was probably true. But when I went to visit him, I learned from his neighbors and friends down there that he was insufferable about what he didn't have there and how "NJ was SO much better", etc. He would tell me on the phone what a big Hawks and Braves fan he was, but he would tell the people he knew there what a big Jets fan he was. He'd mock NJ for having diners (???) but then he'd complain to neighbors in Atlanta that he couldn't get a decent Taylor Ham Egg and Cheese breakfast because they had no diners there. He'd bash NJ to me, saying how people here are too stressed because it's too fast paced, and that he liked the slower pace in Atlanta; but he'd tell his neighbors how everyone in Atlanta was too slow and how it was so annoying, etc. His wife even was in on this act - they would come to NJ and she'd talk about how polite everyone in the south is, and how her children say "sir" and "ma'am" and how "that would never happen in NJ!" and how they have cute southern drawls; but then I found out from their neighbors that she complains to them that her kids are saying things like "I'm fixin' to ______" and how she's trying to keep them from having a southern accent or use southern colloquialism.

So, my theory is that these people are just whiny malcontents who, no matter where they are, they whine and bash the place and talk about how green the grass is elsewhere. When they go to that other place, they do the same.

From what I have heard from many locals/natives of places like Raleigh, Atlanta, etc. is that these same people who whined to me about how NJ sucks are the opposite down there, and talk non-stop about how much better NJ was for pizza, for bagels, for this, for that, for whatever.

So, I want to know if that's anyone's experience. If not, fine. That's why I'm asking.
It seems that people like the ones you mentioned are the problem. If they are whiny, let them be whiny. If they think grass is greener somewhere else, let them think that. Why are you so concerned about their issues?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta