Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 04:21 AM

2,437 posts, read 3,849,531 times

Advertisements

Spelman Student Killed In Clark-Atlanta Shooting - News Story - WSB Atlanta

Your comments?

I wonder if this incident will get as much attention, reaction, and results as the robberies on Ga. Tech campus...

I heard that someone else was murdered in July at CAU. But it definitely wasn't common knowledge/front page news... why? Where's the public outrage, the vigils, the campaigns, the concerned citizenry hitting the streets holding law enforcement accountable?

Do you feel that there is a double standard and if so, whose responsibility is it to do something... and what?

Old 09-03-2009, 06:45 AM

1,655 posts, read 3,246,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by equinox63 View Post

Your comments?

I wonder if this incident will get as much attention, reaction, and results as the robberies on Ga. Tech campus...

I heard that someone else was murdered in July at CAU. But it definitely wasn't common knowledge/front page news... why? Where's the public outrage, the vigils, the campaigns, the concerned citizenry hitting the streets holding law enforcement accountable?

Do you feel that there is a double standard and if so, whose responsibility is it to do something... and what?
Man, that's so damn tragic... stray bullet ends a promising life. Is the AUC center known for violence or is this a very unusual incident?

Old 09-03-2009, 06:52 AM

6 posts, read 13,241 times
I heard that this morning during the Tom Joyner show, she was a totally innocent bystander hit by a stray bullet. My heart and prayers go out to that girl's family. And unless people make it big news, it won't receive the same coverage as the GA. Tech incident... unfortunately media coverage can be very biased racially.

Old 09-03-2009, 06:54 AM

989 posts, read 1,742,649 times
It's on the front page of the AJC, so it's being brought to light. This is tragic, but something about the intial reporting doesn't make sense. The shots came from Mitchell Street and struck two students on James P Brawley via stray bullets. If you know anything about this area, there is no clear line of fire from that vantage point. Certainly it's puzzling to me, but this is probably just average AJC reporting to be cleared up later.

I don't think this will go unnotice and the outrage will be the same as with the GA Tech shootings. The difference between the two is that this young girl died from stray bullets in a high crime area, which is very sad and tragic.

Old 09-03-2009, 07:19 AM

81 posts, read 270,060 times
Thumbs down Shocking !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsmoove View Post
Man, that's so damn tragic... stray bullet ends a promising life. Is the AUC center known for violence or is this a very unusual incident?
That is quite unusual. I am a Spelman graduate and I keep up with the campus news. I was shocked to read about the shooting. However, crime has risen all over the country. I really think that there are still too many guns in the hands of the wrong people. A life has been taken for no good reason.

Old 09-03-2009, 07:27 AM

815 posts, read 2,137,368 times
Very sad, this is in the news in the girls hometown of Kansas City as well, which is not a good look for Atlanta. Maybe the Clark AU police should actually patrol the campus instead of sitting in their cars all day looking at the girls walking up and down Brawley. Ive heard from a number of people that go to the AUC that the MARTA police from nearby Ashby station are more likely to arrest someone on or near campus than Clark police or even APD. Im sure this will re-ignite the talk of building a fence or gate around the campus.

Old 09-03-2009, 07:41 AM

815 posts, read 2,137,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marjoriexxx View Post
That is quite unusual. I am a Spelman graduate and I keep up with the campus news. I was shocked to read about the shooting. However, crime has risen all over the country. I really think that there are still too many guns in the hands of the wrong people. A life has been taken for no good reason.

I wouldnt say that it is unusual, there have been a couple of incidents on the AUC campus in recent years. There was that incident a few years back when that girl who went to Clark had her car stolen then both her and her boyfriend were shot when they tried to get it back. Then there was the shooting on Brawley this summer, and the guy who did it not only walked out of the jail when the police arrested him, but it was later found out ther he had killed someone else 2 weeks earlier in a carjacking in Cobb County. Not to mention that former Morehouse student turned weed man who still lived right next to the campus and was robbed and killed about 3 years ago in a boarding house on the very same street this girl just got killed on last night. So please lets not act like this is just so unusual for the AUC. I know for a fact they tell you all during the Olive Branch orientation to only leave the dorms after dark if you have to.

Old 09-03-2009, 07:48 AM

9,191 posts, read 33,885,851 times
Quote:

Your comments?

I heard about it on the news - it's not being ignored. If you're implying that due to race it won't get attention, I don't agree. Some of the students who have been mugged/robbed in the tech cases were black, but in those cases they (students/victims) were directly targeted as robbery victims by those who attacked them. In this case, the victim(s) had walked by a crime and were caught up in the crossfire - these types of cases don't usually get the same coverage as a direct attack/robbery by the media, regardless of race. As said though, I heard it on the radio this morning, so it's getting coverage anyway.

Old 09-03-2009, 08:03 AM

1,114 posts, read 2,349,610 times
The last shooting at AUC was likely a drug deal gone bad and involved the wannabe rapper Lil Hot's promo van somehow. Prior to that it was the two thugs that had a shootout w/ cops who had murdered that Chattahoochee Tech teacher Joseph Gunn. One of them escaped by walking out of the APD while the other one was shot up by the campus cops.

People do notice these things...they tend to care a little less when it's about drug dealers killing each other. In the end though they are lives and as long as this stuff is going on, people are less safe in Atlanta. There should be massive outrage amongst the alumni, students, and faculty as campus safety sullies the overall reputation of any school. The city should be similarly concerned as the HBC's provide a conduit toward successful graduates staying in Atlanta and not a lesson on how dangerous Atlanta can be.

Edit: It just made the main page on CNN so obviously the race of the student wasn't an issue. Does make Atlanta look rather bad though.

Last edited by Mishap; 09-03-2009 at 08:11 AM..

Old 09-03-2009, 08:33 AM

3,010 posts, read 6,306,962 times
Quote:

Your comments?

I read that this morning as well. Disgusting..utterly disgusting. My thoughts and prayers go out to the familiy of this young lady.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: